GOOGLE GETS CREDIT

kayakbird

This previous NOT FOUND recovery has nagged at me for almost two years so when I was recently trying to pinpoint

a section corner in that area for a friend and noticed how apparent the

'SR0556'THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF AN ABANDONED BRICK RAILROAD ROUNDHOUSE'

was, I figured that I better take another look. I scaled the numerous calls from the DATASHEET onto GE and the

measurement lines all ended near to what looked like a non-grass area. From that I plucked a Lat/Long (SS.s) and

walked right to it, 240 ft past the DS L/L.

1c1ade14-5afe-45b4-879b-f12f1b128747.jpg

SR0556

I will have to recover it as POOR, with just a portion of the stem in the bottom of a partially broken out drill hole

and some cementing material residue left as evidence. The DS for this BM gives an ADJUSTED elevation of 3977.67 FT and

I would bet the adjacent flat top of the post base structure would come in within 0.05 FT of that.

kayakbird

This previous NOT FOUND recovery has nagged at me for almost two years...

I figured that I better take another look. I scaled the numerous calls from the DATASHEET onto GE and the

measurement lines all ended near to what looked like a non-grass area. From that I plucked a Lat/Long (SS.s) and

walked right to it, 240 ft past the DS L/L.

kayakbird

Congratulations kayakbird! Always great when you can find the ones you have been contemplating/reearching for a long period of time.

What did you end up with for HH2 coordinates?

What did you end up with for HH2 coordinates?

Thanks, TillaMurphs,

I scaled SSE from the Roundhouse, NW from the road crossing (existing road), SW from both tracks and the existing service road centerline. Could not pick out the fire plug. Went to the field with N47 02 26.1 W109 24 41.8 and will recover it as N47 02 26.0 W109 24 41.9.

Does anyone know an easy way to set the Google ruler default to feet? kayakbird

Does anyone know an easy way to set the Google ruler default to feet?

Kayakbird,

Not sure if you are using Google Earth or Google Maps. In Google Earth, if you change the units to feet at the beginning of your session they will stay that way.

However, I can’t understand why you would want to use ”feet” when you have the option of using “smoots” – at least in Google Earth.

(For some reason, the NGS continues to resist my repeated requests for them to convert to smoots as their official base unit of length measurement?)

Does anyone know an easy way to set the Google ruler default to feet?

Kayakbird,

Not sure if you are using Google Earth or Google Maps. In Google Earth, if you change the units to feet at the beginning of your session they will stay that way.

However, I can’t understand why you would want to use ”feet” when you have the option of using “smoots” – at least in Google Earth.

(For some reason, the NGS continues to resist my repeated requests for them to convert to smoots as their official base unit of length measurement?)

I checked on GE and the ruler/measurement does appear to stay in whatever unit I selected in the drop-down menu box.......... but that may not work over any extended period of time, or if I don't save cookies. I couldn't see an easy way to change it for a default setting, but the experts here may know how.

Tillamurphs, reading that smoots comment made me wonder if you were a MIT guy. :lol:

A smoot? I'll be darned! That is exactly how long my Coyote Willow pace stick was when I cut it near here

9d4b35db-fa79-418e-85a5-faf769da067a.jpg

GR1581

over a year ago (neglected to post these photos then). A tenth or so shorter now.

Anyway, in my Google Earth the ruler default is miles. If I just do measurement

after measurement it will stay in feet, but if I Save, name and OK; it then goes back to miles - irritating to a fat fingered, slow typing guy.

Thanks, kayakbird