Forget about "TFTC" logs...

Yes, you would get a "log deletion notice" if someone deleted your log. But they can't just because they don't like the fact it's blank, or only contains an emoticon or "TFTC".

So you mean signing the physical log "tftf"? I assumed that's what you meant, and looked at about 10-12 of your finds from various dates, and you are not a "tftc" online logger, you always type something, although often short.

Don't worry about logging on your iphone from the field, apparently almost everyone does. Why they feel that have to log it on the phone from the field, this old-timer will never know or understand.

And I don't mean I'm a technologically challenged old guy or anything. I had PALM PDA powered cell phone that was capable of going on the internet and logging caches from the field even before I started Geocaching way back in 2003. P.S. I'm still a Palm Phone guy all these years later. There isn't and probably will never be an authorized Palm Geocaching App. But I could easily be logging caches from the field on wap.geocaching.com. But not me, I prefer the beer in front of the computer method. :lol:

On the physical log, I just sign "Thesapafamily" and the date. Some virtual logs, I have just wrote "TFTF." I do try to type something but if I don't for whatever reason, it just bugs me that the CO will delete my log because I didn't go in depth with my caching experience.

Sometimes I log at home, most of the time I log on the field. The reason I log on the field is because I have the screen up anyway navigating to the cache so one more click and I virtual log after signing the physical log.

I am glad to hear that I would get an email notice if someone deleted my log...not that I would do anything about it. If a CO hates "TFTF" that much, so be it. There are always more caches to find.

You know... there is another side to writing good logs that I don't think has been brought up here. While I'm sure not everybody cares, your logs are your journal. They are recording your experiences. They are your reminder of where you went, who you went with, how you did or did not enjoy yourself, what you saw along the way. My logs, along with my gallery, are to me, an invaluable resource that records what I have spent much of the last 6 years of my spare time doing. Even if you won't do it for the cache owner, consider doing it for yourself.

You know... there is another side to writing good logs that I don't think has been brought up here. While I'm sure not everybody cares, your logs are your journal. They are recording your experiences. They are your reminder of where you went, who you went with, how you did or did not enjoy yourself, what you saw along the way. My logs, along with my gallery, are to me, an invaluable resource that records what I have spent much of the last 6 years of my spare time doing. Even if you won't do it for the cache owner, consider doing it for yourself.

That may say more of why terse logs bother you than it says about the importance of verbose logs. I imagine that those that care are already writing longer logs.

Yes, you would get a "log deletion notice" if someone deleted your log. But they can't just because they don't like the fact it's blank, or only contains an emoticon or "TFTC".

So you mean signing the physical log "tftf"? I assumed that's what you meant, and looked at about 10-12 of your finds from various dates, and you are not a "tftc" online logger, you always type something, although often short.

Don't worry about logging on your iphone from the field, apparently almost everyone does. Why they feel that have to log it on the phone from the field, this old-timer will never know or understand.

And I don't mean I'm a technologically challenged old guy or anything. I had PALM PDA powered cell phone that was capable of going on the internet and logging caches from the field even before I started Geocaching way back in 2003. P.S. I'm still a Palm Phone guy all these years later. There isn't and probably will never be an authorized Palm Geocaching App. But I could easily be logging caches from the field on wap.geocaching.com. But not me, I prefer the beer in front of the computer method. :lol:

On the physical log, I just sign "Thesapafamily" and the date. Some virtual logs, I have just wrote "TFTF." I do try to type something but if I don't for whatever reason, it just bugs me that the CO will delete my log because I didn't go in depth with my caching experience.

Sometimes I log at home, most of the time I log on the field. The reason I log on the field is because I have the screen up anyway navigating to the cache so one more click and I virtual log after signing the physical log.

I am glad to hear that I would get an email notice if someone deleted my log...not that I would do anything about it. If a CO hates "TFTF" that much, so be it. There are always more caches to find.

Of course, that cache owner would be in violation of the guidelines if he deleted your log for this reason and TPTB would reinstate it if you contacted them about the issue.

I'm not fond of journals anymore. Instead I take pictures...sometimes I even post pics in the cache gallery but for the most part the pictures are for me.

I've traveled a lot in the last fifteen years. When I first started traveling I wrote a journal for each trip. Now I have a wooden chest full of travel journals that I have not looked at since I finished them. I'm too busy creating new memories to worry about reading about past memories. Just my opinion.

I'm not fond of journals anymore. Instead I take pictures...sometimes I even post pics in the cache gallery but for the most part the pictures are for me.

I've traveled a lot in the last fifteen years. When I first started traveling I wrote a journal for each trip. Now I have a wooden chest full of travel journals that I have not looked at since I finished them. I'm too busy creating new memories to worry about reading about past memories. Just my opinion.

..just a related thought.....

My wife (High School Teacher) allows students to create a 3x5 card 1 side for each test with notes to help them out. Those that actually bother to create the card have reported to her many times over the years that they did not need to reference the card during the test. Why?? Because the mere act of creating the card helped to re-enforce the learning. (my wife of course knew this already - it is just a mechanism to help them study more)

Maybe you have not needed to reference the journals - because the mere act of creating them re-enforced and solidified the memories.

Maybe writing nice online logs will do the same??

That may say more of why terse logs bother you than it says about the importance of verbose logs. I imagine that those that care are already writing longer logs.

No. That is why I prefer to write more descriptive logs, not why short or empty logs bother me. I don't need help with interpreting my thoughts, thank you.

No. That is why I prefer to write more descriptive logs, not why short or empty logs bother me. I don't need help with interpreting my thoughts, thank you.

We each interpret what we read in our own ways. If people are interpreting your posts differently than you mean them to be, perhaps the problem is that you are not adequately relaying your position.

Disclaimer...I have not hidden any caches (I find the process intimidating) so I don't personally know how a CO feels about this stuff.

My average log is 146 characters, so I feel like I do a pretty good job at logging caches I find. Having said that, I will occasionally leave a TFTC, and have sent one letter logs many times that I go back and edit into longer logs at a later time, if we are doing multiple caches and I need to keep moving. I think that makes it more likely that my eventual log will be longer/more interesting.

I didn't know cache owners got an email when I post a log; so in the future I will write "pending"; that way if the owner really cares what I wrote he knows to check back later.

Most of the time when I read the logs (I almost always read them before caching..I want the most recent picture of what I am getting into and the logs provide that.) I have never seen a blank log and usually the logs are pretty informative, unless the cache is an LPC or the like. Is it possible that this is a regional problem?

Oh and BTW....I love all caches, from LPC's to hikes by mountain streams...I would love 5/5's if I could do 'em...they all have a place. So keep placing those caches, and in case someone forgets to spell it out, Thanks!

I think that a log edited in a timely fashion, i.e that same day, would be at or near the top of the listing so you would not need to troll through 400 logs looking for it....right?

Trying to respond to StarBrand post...did it wrong somehow..sorry.

Edited by SudsFamily

I think that a log edited in a timely fashion, i.e that same day, would be at or near the top of the listing so you would not need to troll through 400 logs looking for it....right?

Point is - how in the world do I know it got edited?? On some summer weekends I can get 120+ new logs a day on my various caches.

The suggestion to troll through them daily looking for edits is just ridiculous. Even if it was a slow caching day and I only get 3 or 4 new logs. I might see an edit once or twice a month?? Maybe?

Asking folks to log the whole text when they are able and not a blank log as a place marker is all I am asking. Only then - just as a courtesy.

Point is - how in the world do I know it got edited?? On some summer weekends I can get 120+ new logs a day on my various caches.

The suggestion to troll through them daily looking for edits is just ridiculous. Even if it was a slow caching day and I only get 3 or 4 new logs. I might see an edit once or twice a month?? Maybe?

Asking folks to log the whole text when they are able and not a blank log as a place marker is all I am asking. Only then - just as a courtesy.

Next best thing would be to delete the field log and log a new one with the full text. That way the cache owner would get emailed the new log.

Next best thing would be to delete the field log and log a new one with the full text. That way the cache owner would get emailed the new log.

The next best thing would be not to get uptight about other people's logging habits. Just because you or I log one way does not mean everyone needs to do it the same way.

The next best thing would be not to get uptight about other people's logging habits. Just because you or I log one way does not mean everyone needs to do it the same way.

Look, I am not getting into this with you again. I never, ever, ever got "uptight about other people's logging habits". I expressed my own opinions and the only thing I got uptight about is people here trying to put words into my mouth. Drop it.

Actually, the e-mail already includes a clickable link that brings up that log in the web browser. No need to scroll through anything at all.

Like this: http://coord.info/GL5JGV41

The trouble is that nothing happens to let anybody know when, or if, a log has been edited.

I expressed my own opinions and the only thing I got uptight about is people here trying to put words into my mouth.

Would you not agree that your position is stiffly conventional in manner or attitude?

Just loosen up a bit. Log the way you think it should be done. And let others log the way they feel comfortable.

Actually, the e-mail already includes a clickable link that brings up that log in the web browser. No need to scroll through anything at all.

Like this: http://coord.info/GL5JGV41

The trouble is that nothing happens to let anybody know when, or if, a log has been edited.

Instead of worrying about how people post their logs, why not lobby Groundspeak to email log updates to cache owners?

I expressed my own opinions and the only thing I got uptight about is people here trying to put words into my mouth.

Would you not agree that your position is stiffly conventional in manner or attitude?

Just loosen up a bit. Log the way you think it should be done. And let others log the way they feel comfortable.

No, I will not agree with your assessment of my position, I do already log the way I think it should be done, and I let others log as they feel comfortable, and I am as loose as I need to be.

The post that you used to bring all of this back up, by the way, was merely a friendly suggestion as an alternative to editing a log that the finder wants to go back later and edit. If they do edit it, the cache owner doesn't know that. If instead, they delete the blank log and add a new one, the cache owner does see that.

No, I will not agree with your assessment of my position, I do already log the way I think it should be done, and I let others log as they feel comfortable, and I am as loose as I need to be.

The post that you used to bring all of this back up, by the way, was merely a friendly suggestion as an alternative to editing a log that the finder wants to go back later and edit. If they do edit it, the cache owner doesn't know that. If instead, they delete the blank log and add a new one, the cache owner does see that.

I didn't "bring all of this back up". I replied to a post.

But instead of continuing to worry about whether or not you get updated when someone edits a log, why not lobby Groundspeak to change the way log edits work? Seems like it would be easy to have them email updates to COs.

I didn't "bring all of this back up". I replied to a post.

But instead of continuing to worry about whether or not you get updated when someone edits a log, why not lobby Groundspeak to change the way log edits work? Seems like it would be easy to have them email updates to COs.

Instead of worrying about what other people are posting here, why don't you go out and do some geocaching. I think you need the stress relief. :lol:

Instead of worrying about what other people are posting here, why don't you go out and do some geocaching. I think you need the stress relief. :lol:

I will once I get this cast off. I had the brilliant idea that I would go hide a cache so I would get more respect. (Not really. I just figured it might be time)

Got tripped up and popped my ankle. But once that heals I will go find some more caches AND get my prerequisite cache hidden. ;)

BTW, kpanko posted a link you might be interested in. It looks like it's been 3 months since anyone posted. You did pretty good on your donut campaign. You might be able to put together the same kind of support and get that idea pushed on through.

There ya go. Now just need to get a couple more hundred votes. (really, how many votes do they need???)

Cute and all, but I predict a 0.000000% chance of it being adopted. About the same chance as that guy who said a few weeks ago people should pay to place caches. :huh:

lobby Groundspeak to email log updates to cache owners

Bam!

http://feedback.geoc...ited-?ref=title

So, each time somebody goes in to correct a spelling mistake, I'm going to get an email?

So you ARE uptight! Basically you gotta have your caches logged the way you think they should be logged because not only can you not be bothered to check your cache listings for praise, but you don't want to be bothered with updated emails either?

There ya go. Now just need to get a couple more hundred votes. (really, how many votes do they need???)

Cute and all, but I predict a 0.000000% chance of it being adopted. About the same chance as that guy who said a few weeks ago people should pay to place caches. :huh:

We have prioritized this in the system. Please continue to vote to help us in our future planning. (25071)

9e94882b-dfaa-44da-8da1-e203aa2439bf OpinioNate Official Rep

So, each time somebody goes in to correct a spelling mistake, I'm going to get an email?

So you ARE uptight! Basically you gotta have your caches logged the way you think they should be logged because not only can you not be bothered to check your cache listings for praise, but you don't want to be bothered with updated emails either?

You're reading into that, or you both need to use some emoticons to give your text some feeling.

What part of "Drop it." is so hard for you to understand.

In the last few minutes of reading this thread I've seen those that are are expressing an anit-TFTC opionion called "uptight", hateful of logging styles, and bothered by TFTC logs. Prior to this reading session people on the other side of the argument that you're taking have been described as "demanding" and "entitled". If that's how you and others writing this sort of rhetoric communicate in your logs I think a lot of cache owners would *prefer* that you just wrote TFTC.

I'm not going to speak for other cache owners, but for me, I have a preference for the certain kinds of logs I get on my caches. I prefer to see complete sentences. I appreciate it even more if they've told me something about their experience while finding the cache. I prefer to see a log that is distinctive from other logs. They're just preference. Basically, it's a preference for courtesy. I'm not demanding that people write logs in a manner that I prefer, nor do I feel entitled to receive logs on my caches of the type I prefer. When I see logs of the type I prefer it increases my enjoyment of being a cache owner. If all I got were blank logs or logs solely consisting of an acronym I would not enjoy cache ownership as much as I do. If I'm not enjoying something I'm doing I tend to want to stop doing it.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

You're reading into that, or you both need to use some emoticons to give your text some feeling.

Might not be a bad idea. Just don't think to use them. B)

If all I got were blank logs or logs solely consisting of an acronym I would not enjoy cache ownership as much as I do. If I'm not enjoying something I'm doing I tend to want to stop doing it.

This might not be as bad as you think. If there were actually less caches out there, perhaps the quality of logs might go up. :anibad:

That is a fair concern.

Wiki systems like Wikipedia have this same problem, and they solved it by adding a check-box on the edit screen that says "Minor change? (No notifications will be sent.)" If the user is only going to correct a spelling mistake, they can check the box. Of course, this depends on the user knowing that they should do that.

It's probably better to err on the side of too many notifications than not enough. It's always a tricky balance, and it's impossible to please everybody.

Edited by kpanko

We have prioritized this in the system. Please continue to vote to help us in our future planning. (25071)

9e94882b-dfaa-44da-8da1-e203aa2439bf OpinioNate Official Rep

I don't want to say anything disparaging about the "prioritized this in the system" text, but I've seen it, well, way too many times. :P

But then again, on 2nd thought, if we were talking about after the normal "free" edit window (I don't know, what is it 10 minutes), this could be possible, but I'll bet would greatly increase email traffic for owner notifications.

In the last few minutes of reading this thread I've seen those that are are expressing an anit-TFTC opionion called "uptight", hateful of logging styles, and bothered by TFTC logs. Prior to this reading session people on the other side of the argument that you're taking have been described as "demanding" and "entitled". If that's how you and others writing this sort of rhetoric communicate in your logs I think a lot of cache owners would *prefer* that you just wrote TFTC.

I'm not going to speak for other cache owners, but for me, I have a preference for the certain kinds of logs I get on my caches. I prefer to see complete sentences. I appreciate it even more if they've told me something about their experience while finding the cache. I prefer to see a log that is distinctive from other logs. They're just preference. Basically, it's a preference for courtesy. I'm not demanding that people write logs in a manner that I prefer, nor do I feel entitled to receive logs on my caches of the type I prefer. When I see logs of the type I prefer it increases my enjoyment of being a cache owner. If all I got were blank logs or logs solely consisting of an acronym I would not enjoy cache ownership as much as I do. If I'm not enjoying something I'm doing I tend to want to stop doing it.

If someone posts a log that merely states "Thanks for the cache", are they being discourteous?

Just asking for a bit of courtesy towards others - is that really so awful??

I can ask - you can ignore. Some others will see it as a courtesy and alter a bit.

If all I got were blank logs or logs solely consisting of an acronym I would not enjoy cache ownership as much as I do. If I'm not enjoying something I'm doing I tend to want to stop doing it.

This might not be as bad as you think. If there were actually less caches out there, perhaps the quality of logs might go up. :anibad:

Since the remaining caches would be from people who don't care whether finders enjoy them or not, I would expect not. I would also expect the quality of caches to go down.

Sometimes the caches can be quite mundane.. For us, a clever cache that is hidden in a high-muggle area can be very mundane, because the majority of the time we must cache at night, with less muggles about. Therefore we're at a loss for words- we thank them for the cache & move on. Anytime there's more of an interesting story, we log it. I've been guilty of some long online logs.. But sometimes there just isn't a story to tell.. I would love to be able to go on long hikes and find those awesome caches, but that just isn't possible right now. Later, but not right now. It doesn't mean we are lazy loggers or lazy cachers, it means there are circumstances we deal with & yet still get out there. So we enjoy the ones we can find & if there's no story to be had it's just a "thank you", and what we did with it (SL, T: such & such L: such & such)

Hey, Knowschad, I heard that every time you get a TFTC or blank log you punch a baby seal in the face while covering the American Flag in ranch dressing. Confirm/deny?

That's a "roger" on that, good buddy.

So it's true that you punch baby seals?

Only when there is an American flag nearby and I'm well-stocked with Ranch dressing. Otherwise it would be pointless.

Hey, Knowschad, I heard that every time you get a TFTC or blank log you punch a baby seal in the face while covering the American Flag in ranch dressing. Confirm/deny?

That's a "roger" on that, good buddy.

So it's true that you punch baby seals?

Only when there is an American flag nearby and I'm well-stocked with Ranch dressing. Otherwise it would be pointless.

Does Blue Cheese dressing count?

If someone posts a log that merely states "Thanks for the cache", are they being discourteous?

Courtesy is not a boolean value. Neither is my enjoyment of being a cache owner.

If courtesy was ranked on a scale, starting from least courteous to most courteous I would put them in this order...

A blank log.

A log solely consisting of one or more acronyms (i.e. TNLNSL. TFTC)

A log that merely states how many finds they finder got that day (i.e. #12 of 35 found today)

A log with a few words, appended by TFTC (i.e. Found it. TFTC)

A log with a few words which includes an expression of gratitude (i.e Nice location. Thanks for the hide).

A log which describes their experience, and includes an expression of gratitude for providing the experience.

etc, etc.

I also feel that my enjoyment as a cache owner is directly proportional to the level of courtesy expressed in logs on my caches. That doesn't mean that I'm going to punch baby seals like that other guy if some logs are less courteous to others, but if I and others don't state are preferences, how are others going to know what kinds of logs would be appreciated.

The difference between levels of courtesy may be subtle (for example, TFTC vs. Thanks for the cache) but, although you may not agree, to me, there *is* a difference between using an acronym and using a real words in a complete sentence. Some cachers may not think that there is a distinction when they just write TFTC instead of a complete sentence. Some cachers may not realize that some cache owners feel there is a distinction, and just write TNLNSL. TFTC. because they see so many others do it. And then there are some cachers that know that there are some cache owners that appreciate it when a log contains a complete sentence with an expression of gratitude, but will just write TFTC anyway because they don't care what cache owners think. It's that last group that, to me, is being less courteous than others that will take the time to express a sincere expression of gratitude.

If you do allow for the fact that some cache finders use 'TFTC' as an honest expression of thanks, I think that it is unreasonable to expect them to change just for your aesthetic.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to change your expectations than to try to change the world.

If you do allow for the fact that some cache finders use 'TFTC' as an honest expression of thanks, I think that it is unreasonable to expect them to change just for your aesthetic.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to change your expectations than to try to change the world.

Thanks fr your opinion but I was raised to speak out for things I believe in and try to change the world for the better. Letting other folks know how I feel is an important first step.

Therefore I am strongly agreeing with NYPaddleCachers above post. Education of what our Geocaching expectations and common moires are is important.

Thanks fr your opinion but I was raised to speak out for things I believe in and try to change the world for the better. Letting other folks know how I feel is an important first step.

Therefore I am strongly agreeing with NYPaddleCachers above post. Education of what our Geocaching expectations and common moires are is important.

"You can't thank me this way because it will hurt my feelings. You must thank me in teh way that I require." Yeah. That's for the better. :rolleyes:

"You can't thank me this way because it will hurt my feelings. You must thank me in teh way that I require." Yeah. That's for the better. :rolleyes:

<_< Haven't you got something better to do? Good grief!!