Forget about "TFTC" logs...

I have zero issue with "TFTC" logs and blank logs for the simple reason that I choose not to let that sort of non-issue become an issue on how I choose to enjoy the game. These logs, of all the perceived "negative" practices that are discussed on these forums, do not negatively impact me one iota.

Well, I have over 600 finds and 9 active hides, and my opinion is that blank logs are simply blank logs. There could be a variety of reasons for them, from ignorance all the way through rudeness and inconsiderateness, but by the time they hit my in-box, they're all the same. Now what really bother's me are wet logs. :laughing:

BTW, I really do appreciate when people take the time to write a nice log, and I love reading them, but I don't get in a head-spin over those times that don't

I don't think anyone that has posted on the subject here gets "in a head-spin" over them. These discussions have a way of escalating to the point where it may seem that way after a while, but I know that I, for one, just shake my head and move on.

Well, I have over 600 finds and 9 active hides, and my opinion is that blank logs are simply blank logs. There could be a variety of reasons for them, from ignorance all the way through rudeness and inconsiderateness, but by the time they hit my in-box, they're all the same. Now what really bother's me are wet logs. :laughing:

BTW, I really do appreciate when people take the time to write a nice log, and I love reading them, but I don't get in a head-spin over those times that don't

I don't think anyone that has posted on the subject here gets "in a head-spin" over them. These discussions have a way of escalating to the point where it may seem that way after a while, but I know that I, for one, just shake my head and move on.

You know what though? This topic always seems to bring out dozens of drive-by "in a head-spin", or "panties in a bunch" type responses. I assure you, I am guilty of neither one of these things, I'm just discussing stuff here. We'll see if I'm crazy as the lame logs continue to multiply like little bunny rabbits. :D

You know what though? This topic always seems to bring out dozens of drive-by "in a head-spin", or "panties in a bunch" type responses. I assure you, I am guilty of neither one of these things, I'm just discussing stuff here. We'll see if I'm crazy as the lame logs continue to multiply like little bunny rabbits. :D

interesting google results for "panties in a bunch", this though seemed to me the most notable :laughing:

00000263.png

You know what though? This topic always seems to bring out dozens of drive-by "in a head-spin", or "panties in a bunch" type responses.

That's true, isn't it? Thanks for the reality check!!

To those of you who think blank logs won't result in fewer caches, think again. If the trend increases, I'll be one who will simply pull my caches and not bother to hide more, and I'd bet there are lots more hiders who feel the same! I do not hide caches for the enjoyment of people who don't have the common courtesy to at least thank me for the "meal"!

To me, threatening to take your toys and go home is getting into a head-spin. As for me, even though I do appreciate and want people to leave decent logs, I just don't put that much emphasis on those who don't.

To those of you who think blank logs won't result in fewer caches, think again. If the trend increases, I'll be one who will simply pull my caches and not bother to hide more, and I'd bet there are lots more hiders who feel the same! I do not hide caches for the enjoyment of people who don't have the common courtesy to at least thank me for the "meal"!

To me, threatening to take your toys and go home is getting into a head-spin. As for me, even though I do appreciate and want people to leave decent logs, I just don't put that much emphasis on those who don't.

Not a head-spin (whatever that is) It's simply that if it gets to where I don't enjoy hiding caches, then why would I?

I didn't see any threats, either. I heard simple statements of fact that when the fun is gone for them, there is no more reason to play the game. Seems realistic enough to me.

I would guess it depends on how you define threat. In the context i was using, it refers to someone stating an intent of a negative action depending on certain conditions being met or failing to be met. In BC's post, the condition would be the increase in blank logs, and the action would be removing his caches.

Now, I had just checked the definition on Dictionary.com and it defines threat as being retaliatory or punitive, so I guess I was using the word incorrectly.

I do understand wanting to pull your caches when hiding them stops being fun. What I have trouble pondering is the reason certain people stop enjoying the game. So they are just going to ignore all the good, thoughtful logs and "thank you" they get just because of a few blank logs? Seems they are allowing a small group of people to control how they have fun.

of course, if these people do decide to go ahead and pull their caches, in the long run it won't affect me. There will still be plenty of caches to find and plenty of good, thoughtful logs to read.

BTW BC, I hope you don't think I'm singling you out. I merely quoted your post because it was the first one I came across which illustrated what I was trying to say. As for "head-spin," in a literal sense, it is the feeling you have when it seems the world is spinning around you, such as when you are dizzy or drunk or experiencing vertigo. It is sometimes used figuratively when someone loses control of an aspect of their lives due to external circumstances, such as when someone allows the posting habits of a few people to control how much they enjoy playing the game.

I would guess it depends on how you define threat. In the context i was using, it refers to someone stating an intent of a negative action depending on certain conditions being met or failing to be met.

Actually, to the cache owner that is no longer having fun putting out and maintaining caches, it isn't even a negative action, is it? :)

Ok so I'm one who sometimes posts blank logs as in my caching road trip. I could barely log the finds with the phone let alone type a log. I try and go back and edit the logs but unless I am truly inspired by a cache, TFTC it is. I don't know why so many people feel they must dictate what and how much people should type in their logs.

Ok so I'm one who sometimes posts blank logs as in my caching road trip. I could barely log the finds with the phone let alone type a log. I try and go back and edit the logs but unless I am truly inspired by a cache, TFTC it is. I don't know why so many people feel they must dictate what and how much people should type in their logs.

I think you are missing the point of the discussion. From the cache owner's perspective a blank log or a TFTC log tends to be rather disappointing when the cache owner has put forth the effort to find a good location and place a good container. They are the ones who care about the logs that are posted on their caches. They try to provide an enjoyable experience for those who search and they hope for decent logs in return. Those who place LPCs and GRCs are less likely to expect nice, wordy logs. This isn't a question of cache owners trying to dictate what and how much people should type in their logs. It is a matter of cache owners hoping and wishing that finders would take a few moments to say "thanks" for making this a fun game for everyone.

I for one, am not trying to dictate what you put or how much of it beyond words. I just would like to see some words.

Be nice to read about the condition of the cache, maybe the contents, something about the location would be a nice bonus, was it hot out?? I'd like hear that. Really I would. Up to you.

Just saying, I took the time and effort to pick a special place, buy and camo the container, add a logbook, get the coords, write up the cache page, return to check and do maintenance. The least you could do is write a few words. Not expecting a thanks either. Just a short factual report will do.

That is why I hid the caches. To share something special to me - with you. Least you can do is mention the cache in words.

If I am out for a day of caching I do not log caches until I am home and in front of my computer. Logging from a phone tends to be a pain. The only time I log from my phone is if I find a major problem of some sort with the cache and I want to let others know about it.

I'm not seeing TFTC though. I'm seeing "Road Trip". TFTC would actually be a vast improvement. :ph34r:

I often log the physical log book but sometimes time is a factor, or the log book may be too hard to extract from the container. Just the other day I found a cache that needed "special tools" to extract the container from its hiding place, so I couldn't even get the cache out. Virtual logginng sometimes have to preceed physical logging, I think it's the hunt that's important.

Although I often write something more than "tftc" nowadays :)

I often log the physical log book but sometimes time is a factor, or the log book may be too hard to extract from the container. Just the other day I found a cache that needed "special tools" to extract the container from its hiding place, so I couldn't even get the cache out. Virtual logginng sometimes have to preceed physical logging, I think it's the hunt that's important.

You mean "It was going to take too long" or "It was too tough for me" passes for close enough to a "found it" log to you???? Why not just take a walk past a few caches and log those - in the interest of time and 'the hunt'?? Not sure what activity you are participating in but it doesn't sound much like Geocaching to me.

My personal ethic is that I do not log a find online if I did not sign the log.

Somtimes special tools are required. They should be a part of the tools of a well prepared cacher.

Time is never a factor for me when I sit down to log my caching experiences for the day. I relish the recent memories and am more than happy to share them with the CO and any who come later to the cache page.

Do you understand why people appreciate hearing "thanks" after they do you a favor?

Your best day was 106 caches. Mine was 105. I dare you to compare logs for those days.

Get a notebook, a digital recorder, a smartphone recording app, if your memory is insufficient. My typical note is "POG tube in cedar tree near bike trail". That is all I need generally to remember enough to say something about the cache.

Nobody is dictating anything. This is something called "manners", "courtesy", "politeness", and so-on. Those are some of the basic tenets of society.

Do you understand why people appreciate hearing "thanks" after they do you a favor?

I think everyone understands and appreciates hearing "thanks" after they do you a favor. I think it's wrong to expect it, however. You do what you can to positively enforce the desired logging habits, but at the end of the day, relish those who took the time to speak at any length about your placement and don't worry about the blank/acronym/C&P logs too much.

I think everyone understands and appreciates hearing "thanks" after they do you a favor. I think it's wrong to expect it, however. You do what you can to positively enforce the desired logging habits, but at the end of the day, relish those who took the time to speak at any length about your placement and don't worry about the blank/acronym/C&P logs too much.

Nope. I think I will stand up for what I believe in. Thanks for the input. I guess I understand your "Professor of the School of "Meh"dicine" signature. I was taught my "pleases" and "thank-you's" at a ripe young age, I cherish them as a very important part of civilization, and I will do what I can do to perpetuate those symbols of civility, thank you.

I for one, am not trying to dictate what you put or how much of it beyond words.

So "Got it." would work for you?

Let's not forget that you don't want Alohikea to "try and go back and edit the logs". No, he should be typing up proper logs to begin with. It's not enough to demand encourage with extreme prejudice the writing of words, but you also discourage with extreme prejudice the logging of a blank log in the field and editing it with beautiful soliloquy later.

Nope. I think I will stand up for what I believe in. Thanks for the input. I guess I understand your "Professor of the School of "Meh"dicine" signature. I was taught my "pleases" and "thank-you's" at a ripe young age, I cherish them as a very important part of civilization, and I will do what I can do to perpetuate those symbols of civility, thank you.

Absolutely! Please continue to do so! Amazingly, I was also taught about being polite and honest and all that is good and wholesome, as I'm sure the vast majority of folks anywhere have been, I just choose to be more realistic with the application and expectations of others I have zero control over.

Of all the reading I do in these forums, I actually tend to agree with your points by and large, but on this one, we will always disagree.

If I am out for a day of caching I do not log caches until I am home and in front of my computer. Logging from a phone tends to be a pain. The only time I log from my phone is if I find a major problem of some sort with the cache and I want to let others know about it.

What is your point? Are you just relating your own issues or are you trying to say noone should log from a phone because you find it to be a pain?

I'm not seeing TFTC though. I'm seeing "Road Trip". TFTC would actually be a vast improvement. :ph34r:

Hey now. By Starbrand's standards, that is a proper log. It has 2 complete words.

Edited by mresoteric

Hey now. By Starbrand's standards, that is a proper log. It has 2 complete words[/].

Interesting typo. I like it.

You do what you can to positively enforce the desired logging habits, but at the end of the day, relish those who took the time to speak at any length about your placement and don't worry about the blank/acronym/C&P logs too much.

Wise advice indeed.

I looked through some of the more popular caches of some of the more vocal posters here. I can tell you that knowschad's caches by and far receive average to great logs. The number of crappy logs are a small minority. I would think he would be quite satisfied with the logs he gets. (Maybe he is and just likes to debate like I do)

What is your point? Are you just relating your own issues or are you trying to say noone should log from a phone because you find it to be a pain?

My point? Don't use logging from your phone as an excuse for posting crummy logs or blank logs. If you choose to play the game play it well, appreciate it and say so. By all means log from your phone if that is what works for you. Just don't use that as an excuse for posting crummy logs. That is lame in my opinion. Did I happen to mention that I think it is lame to post crummy logs from a phone and claim it is too difficult or inconvenient to post good logs since you are posting via a phone? dry.gif

My point? Don't use logging from your phone as an excuse for posting crummy logs or blank logs. If you choose to play the game play it well, appreciate it and say so. By all means log from your phone if that is what works for you. Just don't use that as an excuse for posting crummy logs. That is lame in my opinion. Did I happen to mention that I think it is lame to post crummy logs from a phone and claim it is too difficult or inconvenient to post good logs since you are posting via a phone? dry.gif

Now you have. But the quoted post didn't say much except for your experience with phone logging. Thanks for the clarification.

+1

I use my phone to post field notes, not logs. My field notes are just personal shorthand to remind myself about the cache and what happened. Later, with a real keyboard, when I can write decent logs, I log my finds/DNFs.

The main exception to this is when I've needed to log an "oops, I broke your cache" Needs Maintenance log. When that happened, I put up with the touchscreen keyboard and posted a Needs Maintenance log, and then sent a more detailed email to the CO. But the Found log for that cache still waited until I was home with a real keyboard.

I read it as a variation of "A poor workman blames his tools."

Someone who wants to write decent logs will not let the limitations of their phone prevent them from doing so. Someone who posts blank/brusque logs isn't forced to do so by their phone.

I'd expect or hope that they were done on the trail from a smartphone by accident

Reading interesting logs are always enjoyable for me.. and often add to the fun

of a cache when you read about a similar experience as to what you've had yourself.

I just wanted to add my two penny's worth and say that blank logs suck. It takes time and money for us hiders to place caches and we all do it for different reasons. One of the reasons is to read everyone's stories from their caching adventures. It really doesn't take any time to type a short sentence, even from your mobile.

Don't get me wrong, I don't leave essays myself, if a cache is a film pot in a hedge cash and dash then it normally gets a one liner but if the cache is special in my eyes then I go the extra mile for the log.

Here is an example of how things could be. http://coord.info/GC2PDVP

Groundspeak stop the blank logs!

Depends on your point of view. As a finder, the online log may be looked at as a logging mechanism for a smilie. As a cache owner - you see the emails as a notice that your cache has been logged and found. With 150+ active caches - I do not peruse them regularly to see if anybody has edited a previous log - and I am not notified of changes anybody makes. Thus, as a courtesy, I should strive to make my first 'find' loga note to the owner and as complete as possible.

It would be a good idea if you could also get emails if someone edits their logs. Not just for the reasons you cite but also they could post a reasonable first log and then edit it to include spoilers.

so why you bother?

you mean to tell me those smart phones are not so smart after all to allow you to keep a list of your finds that you can access at home and log them properly?

Absolutely! Please continue to do so! Amazingly, I was also taught about being polite and honest and all that is good and wholesome, as I'm sure the vast majority of folks anywhere have been, I just choose to be more realistic with the application and expectations of others I have zero control over.

It takes a villiage.

It takes a villiage.

Yes... yes... I'm with you so far.

Quite apparently you find it to be a pain as well - because you feel the need to type nothing out in the field (presumably because of the phone's limited keyboard) and come back later to edit it even though the owner is likely totally unaware you did so.

I use my phone to post field notes, not logs.

I have a Palm phone with WebOS, and it has an unofficial app that does not have a way to do field notes. (Actually, it does not even let me post found logs either. It used to work, but then the site changed and it stopped working. But that's why we need an official API, which is being worked. No blank logs from me even if I wanted to do it!)

I'm not 100% sure what a field note is, because I just have no way to use them. Ignorance is not evidence of malice.

. . . come back later to edit it even though the owner is likely totally unaware you did so.

Sounds like a system problem to me! The web site could be sending additional e-mail when a log is edited. Until you told me that it does not, I would have just assumed that it does! I want to search the feedback area, to see if someone has asked for that feature, but geocaching.com is down for maintenance and I cannot sign on right now.

Does that make sense to you cache owners? A second e-mail to let you know that a log has just been edited?

(I anticipate that somebody will object to receiving additional e-mail. To that I say, do you want to get the longer log or not?)

You mean "It was going to take too long" or "It was too tough for me" passes for close enough to a "found it" log to you???? Why not just take a walk past a few caches and log those - in the interest of time and 'the hunt'?? Not sure what activity you are participating in but it doesn't sound much like Geocaching to me.

Unless is was your cache, you don't get a vote as to whether it was a find, or not. If the cache owner is cool with it, it's a find.

I bolded the bit that you and others keep missing. If your cache is as good as you claim it to be, YOu are going to get a nice log from Alohikea. If your cache is uninspired, you won't. Take it as a learning experience and perhaps put in some effort to make your next cache better.

Your best day was 106 caches. Mine was 105. I dare you to compare logs for those days.

Get a notebook, a digital recorder, a smartphone recording app, if your memory is insufficient. My typical note is "POG tube in cedar tree near bike trail". That is all I need generally to remember enough to say something about the cache.

Nobody is dictating anything. This is something called "manners", "courtesy", "politeness", and so-on. Those are some of the basic tenets of society.

Stalk much?

I bolded the bit that you and others keep missing. If your cache is as good as you claim it to be, YOu are going to get a nice log from Alohikea. If your cache is uninspired, you won't. Take it as a learning experience and perhaps put in some effort to make your next cache better.

Stalk much?

I see you're sprinkling your glittery happy dust around again today. <_<

Checking somebody's public profile is not stalking.

Unless is was your cache, you don't get a vote as to whether it was a find, or not. If the cache owner is cool with it, it's a find.

Who's voting? I never mentioned a cache owner or denying any rights.

Just to be clear - Many of my posts are just my opinion. I didn't think it needed stating explicitly.

I agree with sbell. If I may be so bold as to take this line of thinking a smidge further, though, to say that no matter how good a cache owner's location/container/intentions may have been, the CO simply isn't entitled to a log. It's lovely if the finder does give you a few kind words, but not necessary.

Effort does not equate to entitlement in my books.

I agree with sbell. If I may be so bold as to take this line of thinking a smidge further, though, to say that no matter how good a cache owner's location/container/intentions may have been, the CO simply isn't entitled to a log. It's lovely if the finder does give you a few kind words, but not necessary.

Sigh... nobody said anything about entitlement, either. No head-spinning, no threats, no entitlement, and no stalking. Just expressing our feelings as cache owners. Is that so hard to understand?

Sigh... nobody said anything about entitlement, either. No head-spinning, no threats, no entitlement, and no stalking. Just expressing our feelings as cache owners. Is that so hard to understand?
Many of the 'feelings being expressed' read like entitlement, head-spinning, threats, and a bit more than a smidge of bullying. Edited by sbell111

I know that I have spent weeks getting some of my caches ready. I spent over $60 for a fiberglas fake rock once for camo (OK, never again). I spent over $100 once for materials to make a fake plaque as the first stage of a multi. Typically, I spend $20-$30 for swag that ends up as used, dirty golf balls and soggy coupons. My mind is constantly occupied with where and how I can hide a cache that is different from the rest and will really get people to talking. And I do it all for blank logs. Uh-huh. I'm a saint.

The reality is, you don't have to explicitly say that you're entitled to something to show an air of entitlement, though you really seem to be saying just that in post #102 of this thread (Quoted on top).