Problems with a Geocacher

furshore

I do want to clarify a point about the driving on unpaved roads. The rental car stated that their insurance did not cover losses that occured on unpaved roads. We told me what we were doing and they said that we should use our insurance and that it was a suv and they did not have a problem with driving on dirt roads. They even said that they have rented to geocachers who did the same thing and they only wish they had the 4X4 we requested. We made it clear what are intentions were.

I did not say that I had no responsiblity...I certainly did...half. This sarcasm is uncalled for.

Eh, don't worry about it, you just walked into the mire called 'What do you think?' Stick around long enough and you'll get pay-back.

Leaving the debate aside of who was responsible for what, he did say he'd pay for half of all expenses.

Actually the OP said

Well, we all agreed to share the expenses for the car/gas etc.

As far as I can tell that is what happened. What the OP is upset about is the deductible for the accident. That is outside the realm of the original agreement.

I guess that I am surprised that most people feel that he really had no responsibiltiy.

Legally, he didn't. And you asked for advice. There isn't any except that you will have to foot the full bill.

That said, I think morally your Georgia caching partner is on sketchy ground, so I understand you feeling upset about the whole thing.

Furshore,

Yes--this IS a tough group. On the other hand, I'm not one to go around saying who was right and bashing opinions and whatnot.

But take a step back for a second. I know it's hard to remove yourself from the money and the ruthless cache partner, but take a step back and look at the big picture. Imagine that YOU saw your original post on the forums. What would you say?

It sounds like you've learned some lessons. We ALL learn lessons every day--and you learned a few the hard way. It's what we do every day as humans. Take what you've learned and improve yourself and your caching game.

The best news of all? You'll never make any of those mistakes again.

I did not say that I had no responsiblity...I certainly did...half. This sarcasm is uncalled for.

I don't see any sarcasm in the responses you received. I do see honest opinions, and most of those don't agree with you. I guess you only wanted people that agree with you to respond?

Furshore,

Yes--this IS a tough group. On the other hand, I'm not one to go around saying who was right and bashing opinions and whatnot.

So now he can't actually disagree with opinions. Icing on the cake!

Disagreeing is different from bashing, which is the language I used. I am respectful of opinions, although I most certainly disagree with them. What I meant in my post is that some people here are not as respectful of opinions. That's all.

If I walk off a pier while looking at my GPSr, I don't feel the GPSr has any responsibility at all. :)

As for who should pay for what, never get into an agreement with someone you don't know without getting all the details in writing. Heck, you shouldn't get into an agreement with someone you do know without getting it all in writing.(But we all do. :blink: )

Morally, he may owe you the money, but legally he doesn't.

You are right...another lesson learned about posting. Yes, I feel worse. I guess that I am surprised that most people feel that he really had no responsibiltiy. No more posts from me of matters of this nature. This is a tough group.

What about your "personal responsibility" when you signed an agreement with the car rental company to not take it off road?

May be a dumb question but have you checked with your credit card company to see if you have rental car insurance on your credit card?

Even if he had it, it wouldn't cover usage outside of the agreement, I'm really surprised his auto insurance (is that who's covering this?) is covering it, but then again, they may not know the whole story or they wouldn't.

I guess we could have left him in Yuma and let him find his own way home...but we didn't do it because we did not think that was the right thing to do. I know I was wrong...I got it. But he agreed not once but twice to pay half of the deductible. As far as the conditions if I just would not have changed coarse and just follow the existing car tracks we would have been fine. He was also iritated that it took the tow truck and hour and a half and that was time we were not caching. He was a very difficult driven cacher...probably like some of you.

I think I would also agree to many things if my driver was "thinking" of leaving me stranded in the desert.

You were going to do a 1000 cache power trail and then are suprised that the cacher you met up with was hurry, hurry, hurry all the time type cacher. I think I would have expected it. He may have been difficult in other ways and then backed out of a verbal agreement (that he shouldn't have made in the 1st place), but the hurry up mentality should not have been a suprise.

Some of these replies are insulted but I guess I asked for it.

You didn't ask for it, you just came to vent. It's just too bad that most people in this forum would rather insult you than offer some sound advise. Atleast you didn't misspell anything. You get blasted here for that.

I would say pay the bill and write it off as a learning experience.

Some of these replies are insulted but I guess I asked for it.

You didn't ask for it, you just came to vent. It's just too bad that most people in this forum would rather insult you than offer some sound advise. Atleast you didn't misspell anything. You get blasted here for that.

I would say pay the bill and write it off as a learning experience.

I guess I must have skimmed the posts too quickly. Where was he insulted?

In defense of this Forum and it's participants, I would point out to the OP (and any other posters who have expressed dissatisfaction with the responses posted) that there is a stark difference between coming to the Forum and asking for "opinion", and coming to the Forum and asking for "validation".

Opinions vare widely here, and you are likely to find dissenting posts on any topic from the one the OP brought up , to the best flavor of ice cream.

When you elect to post in a Forum with the wide economic, educational, geographic, political, religious,... ect. ect. , diversity of readers, you can expect to get responses that are a varied as the demographic.

I dislike the common response that you should have "tough skin" to post here. I simply feel you need to be realistic in your expectations when you ask for comments.

Regarding the OP topic... I think the OP's "stranger become caching partner" is not legally liable for cost of the OP's actions.But I am not an attorney, I'm an electrician.

I will say (IMO) that if the "Stranger" agreed to pay something, if only verbally, he should do so. I was taught from a young age, if you commit to something, you follow through. It is a point of principle, honor, and character to me. But... some people are just "worms". And that sucks.

edit to add: I will also point out, that IMO, (notwistanding the OP's feeling that he has been insulted), to come to the Forum and post negative remarks about another cacher, whether stranger or long time friend, without that cacher being here to defend his position,is kinda' "wormy" too. This is something that should have been settled in private.

"let him who is without spot or blemish cast the first stone"

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Sooners and Cowboys don't agree about much when it comes to Oklahoma sports, but I'm supporting part of furshore's argument. Yes, the Georgia cacher is not legally or financially responsible for any of the damages, however, if he did verbally agree to pay half of the deductible, he should have been a man of his word. I don't know how it is in Georgia, but a man's word is at the top of the character list in Oklahoma.

He was in a hurry...he was always in a hurry. It was always go...go...go and stop.
Don't go caching with people like that. In fact don't do anything with people like that. It never ends well.

Man, let's get Judge Judy involved. She would have a field day.

I'm going to make one of those photoshop comic-caption strip things.

EDIT: I will use photos of the OP from their gallery for extra hilarity.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

So let me get this straight, YOU drove into a ditch that damaged a vehicle and you expect someone else to pay?

Regardless of "bad navigation instructions", you are driving, not him.

What if he told you to run a red light or speed and you got a ticket? Would you expect him to pay it? I doubt it, because you are in control of the vehicle, not him.

Even if you took him to court, you would never win. You alone were driving the vehicle and part of driving a vehicle is watching the road.

Since you were in a rental, you also broke your agreement with them. All rental agreements state that the vehicle is to be operated on roads only, no off-roading allowed. Its clear from the start that you have no regard for agreements, until they favor you.

This. So this.

I would like to hear the other guys story on all of this. There are three sides to every story. His side, the other guys side, and then theres the truth. I'm not sayin, just sayin'. To add an opinion to a one sided story can get you into trouble. I'm in no way saying that you are lying, but since we don't know you it would be prudent to assume there is more to the story.

I hope that I have not given the impression that I am bitter...I am not. I am disappointed in myself and this power cacher we teamed up with. I guess you all are right...I was wrong and he was right.

About the bolded part, nope, not at all!

Sure, you made some bad decisions, and are paying for them, but from the information we have, (only one side of the story) he certainly isn't right!