Haha, I'm beginning to see who the liars are

I have never knowingly logged a cache that I didn't really find, have in my hand, and open. There have been times when I didn't sign the log, often because I tend to drop/lose pens and sometimes they just don't work.

Then some CO deleted one of my finds and posted a note to the cache page that he had replaced e log and deleted anyone who claimed a find without actually signing it. Since then I've been more diligent. AND I often photograph the log sheets, mainly to remember the details when I get home.

Out of curiosity, I've compared several of those snapshots to what's been logged online. Very surprised to see how few people really DO sign the log. Varies from cache to case, but often there are only 1/2 as many sigs on the sheet as there are finds online. Sometimes even less. My favorite was a cache near work where the log had been full for many months -- and while a few people logged online "I couldn't sign because it was full" -- many, MANY more simply logged it without commenting on that -- and some said "Forgot my pen." I photographed that one and posted a NM.

And the funniest bit? Many of the most prolific "finders" in this local area are also the most prolific "non-signers" :D I'm not saying they're really ALL lying -- but you know some of have to be. And the rest just don't take it seriously.

Everyone plays the game in their own way, this just strikes me as amusing.

In paragraph two you stated the the CO deleted none signers

THAT'S BS on their part

I, myself, me, have arthritis in my fingers so bad that sometimes opening some zip lock bags can be a pain in the a**. I don't sign all my finds but I found them.

Also what if its pouring rain like no tomorrow should we open the find get it soaked? I mean think about it.

That CO is nothing but a looser. A waste of oxygen. Does not play well with others.

Cache owners are well within their rights to delete online logs if the physical logbook has not been signed.
...the OP is photographing the ENTIRE logbook, including both sides of each page, right?

Nope, you're reading too much into my original comment :)

No, I think he is pointing out that just because a signature isn't in your photograph, doesn't mean that it's not in the log book. I've seen people sign the last page of a nearly-empty logbook, or the backside of a nearly-empty micro scroll.

I cache with my daughters sometimes and I can see how a log sheet can have fewer names than the number of logs online because when we sign the log, we sign it as T3D or Team3D. It stands for Dad, Daughters, and Dog because we usually have our Golden Retriever with us.

When we get back home to log online, we will each use our individual name (Except for the dog) and will put in the log that we signed the paper log as T3D or Team3D.

Edited by ao318

You should always carry a lighter with you. In a pinch I have burned the end of a tooth pick or stick to use as a pencil. Not the best writing tool but it will work in a pinch.

Jeepers, I keep forgetting to bring my toothpick....

In that case, take out your hatchet and chop down a nearby tree (try to make it an oak or maple if you can, only use the best!). Then sit for a few hours whittling the tree down into 1000's of toothpicks so that there will be plenty of spares for others to use. Use your lighter to burn the tip or if you don't have a lighter, take out a magnifying glass and use the power of the sun. Forgot your hatchet? Geez..ok, take out your chainsaw...

I live in the Pacific NorthWet. What is a sun?

I'm not sure either, neighbor. But I've heard it's that bright spot in the clouds that causes your skin to to turn red and fall off.

You should always carry a lighter with you. In a pinch I have burned the end of a tooth pick or stick to use as a pencil. Not the best writing tool but it will work in a pinch.

In that case, take out your hatchet and chop down a nearby tree (try to make it an oak or maple if you can, only use the best!). Then sit for a few hours whittling the tree down into 1000's of toothpicks so that there will be plenty of spares for others to use. Use your lighter to burn the tip or if you don't have a lighter, take out a magnifying glass and use the power of the sun. Forgot your hatchet? Geez..ok, take out your chainsaw...

I'm not sure either, neighbor. But I've heard it's that bright spot in the clouds that causes your skin to to turn red and fall off.

A sun? Not heard of it either. Sounds scary. :laughing:

When i first started caching I did not use my name at all. I had made the account under my aunts name cause she had the app on her phone. We had problems finding any at first and was almost a year later before I got started. I signed my regular name for a few of the first caches. I logged under her account and took over the account and changed the name. No worries she knows I did it. So after a few weeks I took her out to locate some caches and she signed the log but never signed online. I even set up her an account. She is just not interested in geocaching that much. She will occasionaly go but is not into it.

I also have been to a location and forgot a pen altogether. I usually leave a note saying that I found it and forgot pen I will be back to sign before I claim it as a an actual find. before I knew some of the rules of etiquette for this game I didnt know that you could change out a log if its soaked. I do not think that I would like to do that. If a log can be recovered and changed at all I would rather the CO do it. Maybe as I get to know some of them over the summer at some local events I may feel more comfortable.

It might be that some of the extra finds could be out with regular cachers and are just trying out the game and may not like it(I can't see why not).

Of my 117 finds I've logged a total of twice without signing the log, both because I didn't have a pen and I didn't want to go all the way home to get it. I don't think it's a problem as I *found* the cache on both occasions, and 2 out of 117 isn't bad.. I think :P

Hi

Over the years I have ghosted a lot of caches. my goal in the past has been to find the caches many I didn't even open. none were logged and I didn't bother to keep count. a couple I just stood and watched someone else find it.

is it wrong ??

I don't know but I know I like the challenge of finding them.

Weeble

A large, fiery ball at the center of our solar system, but that's not important now.

[walks over carrying some papers. I am carrying them with an oven mitt] Here's all the available information on the sun, sir. That thing is *hot*.

[jholly touches the hot papers and burns his hand]