Haha, I'm beginning to see who the liars are

I have never knowingly logged a cache that I didn't really find, have in my hand, and open. There have been times when I didn't sign the log, often because I tend to drop/lose pens and sometimes they just don't work.

Then some CO deleted one of my finds and posted a note to the cache page that he had replaced e log and deleted anyone who claimed a find without actually signing it. Since then I've been more diligent. AND I often photograph the log sheets, mainly to remember the details when I get home.

Out of curiosity, I've compared several of those snapshots to what's been logged online. Very surprised to see how few people really DO sign the log. Varies from cache to case, but often there are only 1/2 as many sigs on the sheet as there are finds online. Sometimes even less. My favorite was a cache near work where the log had been full for many months -- and while a few people logged online "I couldn't sign because it was full" -- many, MANY more simply logged it without commenting on that -- and some said "Forgot my pen." I photographed that one and posted a NM.

And the funniest bit? Many of the most prolific "finders" in this local area are also the most prolific "non-signers" :D I'm not saying they're really ALL lying -- but you know some of have to be. And the rest just don't take it seriously.

Everyone plays the game in their own way, this just strikes me as amusing.

I'm fairly new to this myself and I try to get everything done properly.

However, I've realized the nature of all that's human in this world even in geocaching. I've learned not to 'sweat the small stuff'. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing or not doing. Spend more time enjoying what you want from the game.

How many signed the paper log but didn't claim the find online?

Very few that I've been able to spot. Every now and then there will be a signature I can't read and not sure if it matches a date logged online. But even if those few really are paper signers who didn't log online, that just means even MORE folks who logged online don't really have a sig on paper.

When you see a log with <20 sigs including FTF, but >40 logs online, it makes you go hmmmm.....

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Well, here's my take on it. It is a game. I enjoy it. I compete only with myself. I find the cache, sign the log, I get a smiley. I find the cache, try to sign the log but can't sign the log for some reason, I get a smiley. I don't find the cache, I don't get a smiley, I post a DNF. Period.

This is very interesting. I have the opposite issue, actually! For example, I just archived this cache recently: GC2JN3K. As you can see, it has 33 total finds.

I have the physical cache log sitting in front of me. It has 41 distinct signatures. (That is, 41 different user names.)

Interesting. I wonder why this is the case?

I've found the opposite in several of my hides. I remember pulling a log of one cache that had at least 60-70 signatures, and online there were only 25 "finds". I'm sure people just armchair find, but I've certainly noted the opposite is true as well.

That is very similar to my experience with my own caches. Although I have seen a very small handful of folks that logged multiple of my caches online but no sign of a sig in the physical logbooks. A polite note asking a few questions and then a delete is usually the result.

I've seen numerous times where a geocacher has tag-a-longs. Either kids that don't sign online, or friends that don't end up getting hooked. I just had one that a group of 7 individually sign the log, but only one had a membership and bothered to log online. The others were just running around with their friend. It just happend to be on the only nano hide I have and they signed their full names. Yeah, I had to change that out quicker than usual.

You should always carry a lighter with you. In a pinch I have burned the end of a tooth pick or stick to use as a pencil. Not the best writing tool but it will work in a pinch.

Jeepers, I keep forgetting to bring my toothpick....

In that case, take out your hatchet and chop down a nearby tree (try to make it an oak or maple if you can, only use the best!). Then sit for a few hours whittling the tree down into 1000's of toothpicks so that there will be plenty of spares for others to use. Use your lighter to burn the tip or if you don't have a lighter, take out a magnifying glass and use the power of the sun. Forgot your hatchet? Geez..ok, take out your chainsaw...

You should always carry a lighter with you. In a pinch I have burned the end of a tooth pick or stick to use as a pencil. Not the best writing tool but it will work in a pinch.

In that case, take out your hatchet and chop down a nearby tree (try to make it an oak or maple if you can, only use the best!). Then sit for a few hours whittling the tree down into 1000's of toothpicks so that there will be plenty of spares for others to use. Use your lighter to burn the tip or if you don't have a lighter, take out a magnifying glass and use the power of the sun. Forgot your hatchet? Geez..ok, take out your chainsaw...

:laughing:

I live in the Pacific NorthWet. What is a sun?

I have never knowingly logged a cache that I didn't really find, have in my hand, and open. There have been times when I didn't sign the log, often because I tend to drop/lose pens and sometimes they just don't work.

Then some CO deleted one of my finds and posted a note to the cache page that he had replaced e log and deleted anyone who claimed a find without actually signing it. Since then I've been more diligent. AND I often photograph the log sheets, mainly to remember the details when I get home.

Out of curiosity, I've compared several of those snapshots to what's been logged online. Very surprised to see how few people really DO sign the log. Varies from cache to case, but often there are only 1/2 as many sigs on the sheet as there are finds online. Sometimes even less. My favorite was a cache near work where the log had been full for many months -- and while a few people logged online "I couldn't sign because it was full" -- many, MANY more simply logged it without commenting on that -- and some said "Forgot my pen." I photographed that one and posted a NM.

And the funniest bit? Many of the most prolific "finders" in this local area are also the most prolific "non-signers" :D I'm not saying they're really ALL lying -- but you know some of have to be. And the rest just don't take it seriously.

how about a group of cachers signing with just a team name for the day, then using your own handle when signing online.

I've done that many times

email the owner describe the hide, the container, the area and maybe he'll let you relog it.

This is very interesting. I have the opposite issue, actually! For example, I just archived this cache recently: GC2JN3K. As you can see, it has 33 total finds.

I have the physical cache log sitting in front of me. It has 41 distinct signatures. (That is, 41 different user names.)

Interesting. I wonder why this is the case?

One possibility is that its a team that logs online under one name, but signs individual names to the paper log. Another is that a cacher brought a friend along and he signed the log but doesn't have an account. I know I've found caches accompanied by non cachers who signed the log, but who never opened an account here.

And of course there is a segment of "ghost cachers" who find caches, sign logs but don't log online.

Edited by briansnat

This all come back to "you cache how you want to cache and I'll do the same". Some people don't sign logs, but it doesn't effect my caches in any real way. In fact those people aren't as bad as the guys that take up like 20 sig lines with their uber signature.

Edited by LukeTrocity

I see a fairly high number of logbook sigs with no online log in my part of the world. My caches are mostly on trail hiking caches, not terribly demanding physically, or in difficulty of find. There are some long term cachers in this non-logging group, they'll occasionally log to move a trackable or to warn of a problem (cache burnt).

how about a group of cachers signing with just a team name for the day, then using your own handle when signing online.

I've done that many times

Yep. I've found caches where 20+ of us signed the log with a single shared group name.

Yup, particularly (but not only) after an event. "BAG" is a common group name. Stands for "Big Group". :lol:

We have a hide that's very close to parking and is a C&D if you don't look at the reason we brought you there.

All hides not in an ammo can have Rite-In-Rain paper inside them. This allows you to sign in even when the logs damp (what it's made for.)

We post this fact on our cache pages.

Usually it starts with someone stating "how hard it was pouring, but we had fun anyway !"

Yeah great - and now I have a damp log as per the next finder.

The problem starts when many log in afterwards, maybe weeks later...

Folks start logging smilies with "Great spot! Log too wet to sign. Log's soaked., etc." on Rite-In-Rain made to write on when wet.

- and on a log that was replaced the next day after it was found damp.

They never even looked.

...some CO deleted one of my finds...
email the owner describe the hide, the container, the area and maybe he'll let you relog it.

No need. Twas an urban on my way home from work, so I just went back and signed it again. Made a point in that online log to mention I had signed just using initials instead of full handle.

But thank you for the suggestion,

I think it's interesting that some folks find MORE signatures than online logs -- the opposite of what I commonly find. I'm sure "team signing"is one explanation for those, but I wonder if there's a pattern to cache types or placements are more likely to go one way or the other. My first guess would be that nanos and micros holding just a scrap of paper would be less likely to collect real signatures than caches big enough to hold trade items and a real log book. I do mostly urban caching and of course that means a lot of nanos,

...the OP is photographing the ENTIRE logbook, including both sides of each page, right?

Nope, you're reading too much into my original comment :)

I don't photograph every log. I tend to photograph the ones that are interesting for some reason, or where there might be some doubt on the part of the CO about my find and I want "proof of find." Sometimes the entire log book in a nano is a tiny scrap of paper too small to even put in a fortune cookie.

So I do not have a complete (or even statistically significant) data set. Just enough here and there that started to look like a pattern. The thing that really got me looking at some of these is when I sign a log and notice the last sig was weeks or months ago. but there are lots of online logs in the intervening time.

There are indeed other explanations than liars and armchair caching. One person signing for a group, etc. Last summer I found TWO caches in the same spot that fit the description of the one I was looking for, maybe 5 metres apart. The CO thought the "original" had been lost and replaced it some months previously, so there were really two caches out there and each was collecting their own share of sigs :D

But there are definitely some fakers around here. There are a few names I see repeatedly in online logs for caches I've found, and I've yet to see their signature on any log sheet. And while I don't have a statistically significant sample, I've seen enough to fairly guess they signing some alternate name or tagging along with a team and letting the leader sign for the group.

I think it's interesting that some folks find MORE signatures than online logs -- the opposite of what I commonly find. I'm sure "team signing"is one explanation for those, but I wonder if there's a pattern to cache types or placements are more likely to go one way or the other. My first guess would be that nanos and micros holding just a scrap of paper would be less likely to collect real signatures than caches big enough to hold trade items and a real log book. I do mostly urban caching and of course that means a lot of nanos,

I've wondered he same thing but the only common theme that I can see (at least I think I see it) is Micros and Nanos in "numbers" areas seem to get there share of online logs without a signature. Not sure if they represent a real finder that didn't take time to sign or armchair numbers padding.

The only ones that bother me are the tough hides with half as many sigs as online logs, and the signatures on another creative note that says "this is NOT the log, keep looking".

For what it's worth, the only cache of mine that I've directly compared had about five more signatires than online logs, and two of he online logs were the same cacher.

As I mentioned a twig will also work in a pinch. I always try to bring a pen but I also make sure I always have a lighter on me because you never know when it may come in handy.

Yep. I've found caches where 20+ of us signed the log with a single shared group name.
Yup, particularly (but not only) after an event. "BAG" is a common group name. Stands for "Big Group". :lol:
Cute. We used "GBA flash mob" to sign the logs on our recent "evil cache run". For the blinkers, that was all we signed. For some of the larger caches, some of us signed individually too.

The CO appreciated us taking only 1 of the 37 spaces on the blinker logs, rather than taking 20+ spaces.

I have signed with leaves, twigs, or other marks. I often take a guess as to the date. And even my secretary can't read my signature, which I generally scrawl on a log. One finder who came after me once remarked that he didn't see a signature that looked like my user name, but I am not sure if that was a comment on my handwriting or honor, but the CO defended the latter. So I tend to be tolerant. The only time I have paid attention to other people's signature is when we followed a cut and paste artist from a foreign country, and after 20 caches, in an area that is visited infrequently, you begin to notice.

For my caches, I prefer groups to sign as a group (I do not check the actual logs and it saves maintenance). We will use initials or group names for the same reason. But I will occasionally look at log books when I check on an ammo can in the woods and it is not unusual to find signatures of people who came upon a cache by accident, while letterboxing, or while park rangering. Those are more interesting to read than a line of signatures.

The only cache not my own that I have ever paid attention to is a very well done and very small camo container. An outhouse was moved nearby and people began to sign that rather than the cache log. That was somewhat entertaining to note, in a nonchalant street art kind of way. Apart from something like that, it is not something I would spend time thinking about and assumptions are always . . . assumptions.

One of my friends and I were near a cache I had already found so we went to find it, but had no pen. Used a twig to scratch the paper, then some dirt to get in the impression. I emailed the CO when he logged the find so the CO knew I witnessed the find.

Of my caches, there is only one that I verify the paper log with the online log- my puzzle cache. The others I gave up once I realized how many names I'd have to go through. Especially ones that rarely need maintenance and have over 150 finds.

As for signing logs: small logs I use the initials BIA. Groups: sometimes we use individual names, sometimes we use a pre-decided caching short name for the group and mention that in the logs.

The only time I've deleted someone's log was when the cache had been disabled and they claimed the find after I had removed the cache from its location.

I'm sorry that you've had this experience. I wonder if there's a greater chance of that happening because you live in a larger metro area. I'm not noticed that much here in Eugene. It happens occasionally, but not often enough to really notice or say anything.

I wish I had some good advice but I guess I don't...

I'm heading up to Portland today with a theater group, hopefully I'll be able to snag some caches while I'm there.

What's the fun in logging finds you didn't find? I find that kind of dumb, but hey, at least there are some of us that play by the rules. Today there was someone that says they found my cache but didn't post anything! Nothing! Not even a smiley face :sad: Then I checked their other finds they logged in the same park as mine and they wrote comments. They also only have 8 finds, but even so, not make one stinking comment or TFTC? Makes me think they didn't find it at all. :mad:

You should always carry a lighter with you.

FPSL

"Forgot pen, singed log"

:laughing:

:lol: You might get flamed for that one! :lol:

Not to make light of the situation, but there's no need to get all hot under the collar about that.

(can anyone squeeze more puns out of this one?)

Edited by Chrysalides

Actually, a really neat thing I bought for myself around Christmas time - I think I got it at EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). It's a keychain pen made by Inka. pens1.jpg

This thing has saved my butt several times and its always with me!!

Actually, a really neat thing I bought for myself around Christmas time - I think I got it at EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). It's a keychain pen made by Inka.

I've considered the Inka, but the price seems rather high to me. How much did you pay for yours? The price online I've seen is around $12 - $15.

While traveling in Asia some months ago, I came across the Zebra F-301 Compact in a store and bought a couple.

producto_steel_f301_c_img.jpg

Note that there are two versions : the compact and the "original". The original is a full sized retractable pen, the compact is a two piece just like the Inka. I'm not sure how well the Inka writes, but the F-301 is just an oridinary ball point pen - writes well, but not as smoothly as a gel pen.

The best thing about the F-301 compact is the price - I found it online for $2.40. I won't provide links (no, I'm not selling, but it is still a borderline forums infraction), but google shopping search should turn up a number of them.

Cosmetically it looks very similar to the Inka. There's also a small hole on the cap, on the opposite side of the clip, where you can attach a ring. There is also a clip that may be a bonus or irritation depending on how you carry it.

I don't carry it much though. I usually cache with my Pilot G2 Mini. Easier to "deploy" one-handed, very smooth ink. The black and blue seems to write much smoother than the red though, not sure why, so I stopped using the red. Only problem is that sometimes I click it accidentally and it makes a mess in my jeans pocket.

Edited by Chrysalides

Here's the thing, on Nano's I always sign CG because the log is so small, and it is VERY hard to make out so that could be the issue. On larger logs, sometimes I expect there to be a pen inside and i get to the cache and find out there is no pen or no working pen at which point I check to see how far I am from my car and if I am more then 1000 feet I don't sign it.

In paragraph two you stated the the CO deleted none signers

THAT'S BS on their part

I, myself, me, have arthritis in my fingers so bad that sometimes opening some zip lock bags can be a pain in the a**. I don't sign all my finds but I found them.

Also what if its pouring rain like no tomorrow should we open the find get it soaked? I mean think about it.

That CO is nothing but a looser. A waste of oxygen. Does not play well with others.

Actually, a really neat thing I bought for myself around Christmas time - I think I got it at EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). It's a keychain pen made by Inka. pens1.jpg

I had one of these. It was very nice. I attached it to my GPS via the keyring to I always have it. Then one day the pen part (which goes in the cover part with the ring) fell out while I was hiking/bushwhacking to a cache. When I found it missing, I retraced my route but couldn't find the pen. I hope the cache owner doesn't delete my log. :unsure:

As far as the lighter idea, this is the location of one of my caches

c100bc70-d5b7-4f0d-830a-2d3edaba2c77.jpg

If you are without a pen here, please do not use a lighter to burn the end of a stick.

Edited by tozainamboku

I sign when I find them or if I'm with a friend one of us will sign for both of us since at that point we're usually right next to each other. I never was good at penmanship and at times I know my signing is not as legible as it should be. Since I also write large to compensate for my non legible issues I have to abbreviate choke or c.cherry or something. Nanos usually become CC. Sometimes when it's colder i bring a pencil as pens will freeze up and if hte log is damp the best I can do is some faded light grey name.

If it's a full log sometimes I toss an extra sheet in which may get lost. Or I might sign out of order as well.

There a variety of variables which impact people signing caches.