Open Caching

I first learned about peer reviewing as a Waymarker, and I enjoy it. Like where creating Challanges is one of the PM benefits here, it is also a added benefit on the Waymarking site. You can manage a category there and publish other members listings. It's really quite cool, and one of the many reasons I like to keep my account here PM.

I do like the way peer review was implemented on Waymarking, with the category leaders who can help keep things on the same page.

Not so keen on the initial roll out for Geocaching challenges where people who had a different agenda piled on to vote down everything - that killed a bunch of decent challenges in the cross fire.

Things are a little more sane now on the Geocaching challenges, just as things are getting more sane on the OpenCaching peer review. The "weighted" votes helps diminish the effect of people who are not really into OpenCaching but want to vote things down for the thrill (or whatever)

I find Waymarking quite useable, problem is I'm one of two active members in my area. The Challanges are nice, but mine and others are still taking a beating from the haters. The weighted votes on the other site help, but they are handed out too freely. In the beginning it was how may hides and finds that you could import from this site, and a no vote had a larger weight than a yes vote. Small improvements have been made. I'm just one of those geocachers that trys to do a good job and put forth real effort in what I do geocache related. I enjoy listing more than seeking geocaches. :D

I repeat: His observations match up pretty darned well with my own.

Same here.

But the nice thing about the site is, that you can say you found every cache in your area/state/whatever, and not have to spend more than a couple hours.

rofl.gif

Or just upload your Myfinds and your done.

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

OpenCaching.com One Year On:

http://www.notaboutt...om-one-year-on/

That's one perspective... from a former Volunteer Reviewer, so grab a bag of salt.

There's also another side, which hopefully will have the same level of detail.

fixed it for ya'.

Wow, you must be one of the cool kids. I'm impressed that you learned of the sudden resignation of France's first volunteer reviewer before I did. I thought I was, like, connected and stuff. So, good on you for sharing that news bulletin.

That's one perspective... from a former Volunteer Reviewer, so grab a bag of salt.

fixed it for ya'.

Wow, you must be one of the cool kids. I'm impressed that you learned of the sudden resignation of France's first volunteer reviewer before I did. I thought I was, like, connected and stuff. So, good on you for sharing that news bulletin.

Mr. Keystone, Sir. If you will permit me to take part in this thread in a civil manner and not endorse or however you spell that word. I would like to be permitted to take part here. I feel that as a active member of that other site I know quite much about it. Please understand that I really enjoy this site, but I also enjoy other GPS related sites. May I have permission granted to take part in this thread?

Thank you.

fixed it for ya'.

Mr. Keystone, Sir. If you will permit me to take part in this thread in a civil manner and not endorse or however you spell that word. I would like to be permitted to take part here. I feel that as a active member of that other site I know quite much about it. Please understand that I really enjoy this site, but I also enjoy other GPS related sites. May I have permission granted to take part in this thread?

Thank you.

Huh?!? :unsure:

fixed it for ya'.

Thank you.

Sorry, but I trust loaded firearms more than I do K9's. And yes, I have worked with K9's as tools. I'm a old fat man now with a Dachsund. I used to hog hunt with Tennessee Plott hounds and Pitt's. Guns don't kill, but dogs do. I trust my loaded handguns and my K9. Both are small, all except the big one.

What do this Huh?!? stuff mean?

fixed it for ya'.

Thank you.

Sorry, but I trust loaded firearms more than I do K9's. And yes, I have worked with K9's as tools. I'm a old fat man now with a Dachsund. I used to hog hunt with Tennessee Plott hounds and Pitt's. Guns don't kill, but dogs do. I trust my loaded handguns and my K9. Both are small, all except the big one.

What on Earth are you talking about?

fixed it for ya'.

Thank you.

So, it's not just me then, huh? Whew!!!:rolleyes:

fixed it for ya'.

Thank you.

Oh my fault, I'm quite sorry. I posted in the wrong fourm thread again. Carry on please.

fixed it for ya'.

Thank you.

Oh my fault, I'm quite sorry. I posted in the wrong fourm thread again. Carry on please.

Which of your posts was posted to the wrong forum? The one that started with "Mr. Keystone, Sir", or the one that started with, "I trust loaded firearms more than I do K9's"? Or both?

Partaking a bit too much in the moonshine last night? I'm totally confused at your posts.

No, I won't touch the hard stuff anymore. I'm on too much medication that says not to mix the two. I can get really scattered sometimes, and I paniced when I saw the moderators post. I've been warned about posting about the other site here, and the last thing I want is any trouble here in the forums. You guys can just poke and jab me, my skin is quite thick by now. I just don't want any issues with any of TPTB here. And also I could not remember if I was kicked from this thread and went into panic mode, but it turns out it was a different one.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Partaking a bit too much in the moonshine last night? I'm totally confused at your posts.

No, I won't touch the hard stuff anymore. I'm on too much medication that says not to mix the two. I can get really scattered sometimes, and I paniced when I saw the moderators post. I've been warned about posting about the other site here, and the last thing I want is any trouble here in the forums. You guys can just poke and jab me, my skin is quite thick by now. I just don't want any issues with any of TPTB here. And also I could not remember if I was kicked from this thread and went into panic mode, but it turns out it was a different one.

I posted a thread titled "What are you smoking after dinner" in off topic somewhere and you are welcome to participate in it. :D

I posted a thread titled "What are you smoking after dinner" in off topic somewhere and you are welcome to participate in it. :D

That sounds very interesting, but I could not find the thread. Or did I just forget which thread I was looking for? :unsure: No the truth is I don't want problems with anyone here because of that other site. I'm a Garmin user and some of their tainted software updates crashed my GPS unit today. I'm not a happey BaseCamper with Garmin right now. I can stand alot, but not bad products with the Garmin name on it. :mad:

I recently listened to an old podcast of Geocaching Podcast where they interviewed someone from OC. This person made it sound like you could import all your find from this site to theirs. My question is if you did that wouldn't they then have to list those caches. They made it sound like that and that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I recently listened to an old podcast of Geocaching Podcast where they interviewed someone from OC. This person made it sound like you could import all your find from this site to theirs. My question is if you did that wouldn't they then have to list those caches. They made it sound like that and that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Absolutely you can. You can import all of your finds, all of your hides. Big old blue button right there on the front page.

It was their way of stealing this site's data to jumpstart their site. To make it even more attractive they even let you upload your find counts from here. It's obvious that Garmin was trying to ease a hoped for mass migration to their site.

The thing I find interesting, even with the pathetic and lame attempts to increase listings on their site they are out done, by almost double, by the site starting with M. That site has been around less time, has fewer registered players than the potential players for the Garmin site, but yet has more listings and is more active. And this is with unique listings to that the M site. I think Garmin marketing needs to work on their message.

Absolutely you can. You can import all of your finds, all of your hides. Big old blue button right there on the front page.

Only changes are is that now your imported hides must pass peer review. In the beginning they could be directly imported to the site bypassing peer review, and I imported my hides. I archived my cross listings there quite some time ago, and so have many of us that joined the site when it was new. :ph34r:

fixed it for ya'.

Keystone, the problem is that you're probably so connected that you've done a complete 180 to being non-connected. It's a weird space time continuum thing.

Oh yes, the one where Jake from Garmin flat-out lied about their discussions with the Opencaching network before launching the site. I'd like to replay that one myself, I need to get my blood pressure up. Well, lied is a strong word, perhaps he was misinformed by a subordinate. :D

The importation of finds and most notably hides, was certainly something never seen before in the history of alternative Geocaching websites.

Open caching has a system and site that is almost counter intuitive.

Geocaching.com is kind of like a favorite old sweatshirt , very comfortable.

Lastly, I have met some great people throught the social interaction afforded by geocaching. That interaction was enabled through geocaching.com. The goodwill from that aspect translates into loyalty to ground speak.

Yeah during the interview I was thinking to myself that you were theoretically stealing those cache listing every time someone imported their my finds.

Wow, not a good idea out of Garmin.

Not quite. Someone imports their "My Finds" the information that is kept is the log text and the GC#. You don't suddenly get those listings as new caches on the OpenCaching.com site unless someone imports their hides.

I'm well aware of the fact that the cache listing is in the "My Finds" PQ, and I'm also aware of the fact that I can't view that listing information on OpenCaching.com after performing a "My Finds" import, unless that cache owner has already cross-listed their cache.

It was their way of stealing this site's data to jumpstart their site. To make it even more attractive they even let you upload your find counts from here. It's obvious that Garmin was trying to ease a hoped for mass migration to their site.

how so? :unsure:

Edited by t4e

How so, what?

I think that it is obvious to all that Garmin added the import feature for one reason, and one reason alone... to play catch-up. What other possible reason could there be?

How so, what?

I think that it is obvious to all that Garmin added the import feature for one reason, and one reason alone... to play catch-up. What other possible reason could there be?

Ah, they are offering Groundspeak a data backup service?

How so, what?

It's a partial, perpetually out of date mirror with a few extra caches.

How so, what?

please enlighten me how is importing my finds to opencaching helping them play catch up...all it does is show my finds...nothing more nothing less, my caches or my found caches don't get transferred there

I think this is all the discussion that needs to be had.

Geocaches in the state of Arkansas:

GC.com: 10998 (well, 10999...I have one pending review)

OC.com: 39

Number of caches that are cross posted: 34

Original caches on OC.com in Arkansas: 5

I hope someone down there got a free GPS for putting out those 5.

How so, what?

please enlighten me how is importing my finds to opencaching helping them play catch up...all it does is show my finds...nothing more nothing less, my caches or my found caches don't get transferred there

I think he must mean your caches, as it's easy to import GS caches to OC.

How so, what?

the original discussion was around being allowed to upload the "my finds"

How so, what?

Hmmmm... I never thought of it that way! :lol:

How so, what?

the original discussion was around being allowed to upload the "my finds"

You know danged well that this part of the discussion was regarding importing of hides, not finds, regardless of what was said by Team Firenze.

Yeah during the interview I was thinking to myself that you were theoretically stealing those cache listing every time someone imported their my finds.

Wow, not a good idea out of Garmin.

Not quite. Someone imports their "My Finds" the information that is kept is the log text and the GC#. You don't suddenly get those listings as new caches on the OpenCaching.com site unless someone imports their hides.

I'm well aware of the fact that the cache listing is in the "My Finds" PQ, and I'm also aware of the fact that I can't view that listing information on OpenCaching.com after performing a "My Finds" import, unless that cache owner has already cross-listed their cache.

If I really cared I would go back and listen to the interview. My recollection was that they were talking about the fact that they already had thousands of caches uploaded within a couple of days. Whether the upload of my finds add hides or not is irrelevant to me. Hides aren't standalone items out in the world. They are items placed and then listed on the COs choice of sites. That information shouldn't be stolen or put on any other site unless it is as a direct link back to the original listing site.

The whole idea frankly stinks. They copied a grass roots setup and startup company's format. Who really wants the company that makes the equipment to own the game too. I don't care how "open" it is. And don't get me started about the domain name.

How so, what?

I meant caches AND finds. The only reason they allowed the uploading of finds that were not made on their site was because they knew there was no way they could get a significant migration to their site if geocachers had to leave their find counts behind.

Edited by briansnat

How so, what?

I meant caches AND finds. The only reason they allowed the uploading of finds that were not made on their site was because they knew there was no way they could get a significant migration to their site if geocachers had to leave their find counts behind.

They also say that if you import your finds, you can filter out any caches that you have already found on other sites. But I agree it's all about the numbers to many geocachers and there is no way they would join a new site and start over. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because finding a cross listed cache a second time just to log it again on the other site is so rewarding....

I logged finds on that site that I have found before the site existed, but I found those caches and logged them here and went back and used the same dates. I'm no longer a supporter of cross listings. I'm still a member and peer reviewer there, and a member here. I still list geocaches and virtual listings there. I know the site has bad peer reviewer ratings, and I agree. I just want to use both sites for geocaching.

I will say this, my new listings here are logged within hours. Looks like nobody want's to play with poor Opie. :anicute: