Downloading to 2005 Garmin Etrex

SeekYeFirst

Hello. I bought my GPS in 2005. It is simply a Garmin Etrex, the copyright on the package is 2001. It has worked great for me, however, what a pain to hand enter all the coordinates. We went to an event a few years ago, and someone took my GPS and entered the caches for the picnic through her computer. Unfortunately, I wasn't watching what she did, but I'm guessing there is a simple way to do it. Also, would I be able to enter pocket queries, if I became a premium member, on this simple GPS? Oh, there is no plug on my GPS, only some brass metal thingies. :) Thanks for your help!

There is a cble that connects to those pins and connects to a PC through a serial port. You will likely need a serial to USB adapter to connect it to your PC. Then download and install the Garmin Communicator software and your set to upload caches through the Send to GPS option. As for a PQ you will need a program like GSAK or EasyGPS to open the PQ and send the information into the unit. You may want to consider an upgrade if you have the budget for one. Any of the eTrex Legend or Vista models will be much better then your current one and come with a USB cable to connect it to your PC. You'll still need the communicator software for them to communicator with your PC and the other software to transfer PQs.

If you can afford it i would suggest getting a paperless unit. One that can take every bit of the information available in a PQ and have it at your finger tips on the unit. You'll have all the cache details right there in the field with you.

Edited by mpilchfamily

There is a cble that connects to those pins and connects to a PC through a serial port. You will likely need a serial to USB adapter to connect it to your PC. Then download and install the Garmin Communicator software and your set to upload caches through the Send to GPS option. As for a PQ you will need a program like GSAK or EasyGPS to open the PQ and send the information into the unit. You may want to consider an upgrade if you have the budget for one. Any of the eTrex Legend or Vista models will be much better then your current one and come with a USB cable to connect it to your PC. You'll still need the communicator software for them to communicator with your PC and the other software to transfer PQs.

If you can afford it i would suggest getting a paperless unit. One that can take every bit of the information available in a PQ and have it at your finger tips on the unit. You'll have all the cache details right there in the field with you.

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what a serial port is, but if it is round with holes in it, I have one of those on my computer! :) Is there a cost for the Communicator software and the PQ software? Where do I get those?

Wouldn't a paperless unit be wonderful!! I take it you are not talking about the Legend or Vista? Can you suggest a unit, most modestly priced? I'm happy with the Garmin brand. What sort of cost am I looking at?

Last question, since you have been so helpful...a friend has an app on his phone where he can go to see if there are any caches in the area he happens to be at that moment...then he can use the phone to go there. He can even see the current cache details. I think it's called "c:geo" or something like that. Do any of the GPS units do that, or must specific cache info always be downloaded by the user first?

Thanks so much for your time and help!

Once you get the cable you can download 20 caches at a time from the search results page. If you become a premium member you can download 1,000 at a time, though your eTrex only holds 500.

Thanks! When I download these caches, what information will show up on my Etrex? The cache name? A number? Anything more than what is entered when I do it by hand, or just the coordinates and some sort of name? My Etrex only allows maybe 5 or 6 characters for the name. Sorry to be so ignorant about everything, but questioning is how we learn! :)

Last question, since you have been so helpful...a friend has an app on his phone where he can go to see if there are any caches in the area he happens to be at that moment...then he can use the phone to go there. He can even see the current cache details. I think it's called "c:geo" or something like that. Do any of the GPS units do that, or must specific cache info always be downloaded by the user first?

That APP violates the Terms Of Use agreement for the site and can get you banned.

It only works on the android phones but the site makes an official App that is pretty good as well as Apps for a few other platforms as well. Need the data package on the phone to use them. All the standalone GPS units require that download the caches before heading out. Your unit is not paperless and will only have the most basic of details.

I bought This USB cable on ebay. It works great and is under $20. From there download easygps or GSAK as mpilchfamily suggested.

Thanks! Can you tell me what specifically to look for on ebay so I know I am ordering the correct cable? I'd like to have one, even if I upgrade to another GPS in the future, so that friends can use the old one when I have company. Thanks!

Any USB cable that says it is for the etrex should work. Stay away from the serial cables. It is an old style connection which nothing uses any longer, infact most computers dont even have the port any longer. I have heard nothing but problems getting them to work with modern computers.

That APP violates the Terms Of Use agreement for the site and can get you banned.

It only works on the android phones but the site makes an official App that is pretty good as well as Apps for a few other platforms as well. Need the data package on the phone to use them. All the standalone GPS units require that download the caches before heading out. Your unit is not paperless and will only have the most basic of details.

YIKES!!! I had no idea anything like that would be 'illegal'! When I saw it, it looked like he was accessing the regular www.geocaching.com web site, too, with a Nearby map as an option. I don't understand Apps and that sort of thing. I just have a normal cell phone.

I bought This USB cable on ebay. It works great and is under $20. From there download easygps or GSAK as mpilchfamily suggested.

Thanks! Can you tell me what specifically to look for on ebay so I know I am ordering the correct cable? I'd like to have one, even if I upgrade to another GPS in the future, so that friends can use the old one when I have company. Thanks!

Any USB cable that says it is for the etrex should work. Stay away from the serial cables. It is an old style connection which nothing uses any longer, infact most computers dont even have the port any longer. I have heard nothing but problems getting them to work with modern computers.

Sorry, I need clarification. I thought I was told that the cable will be a serial cable, and since I don't have a serial port on my lap top that looks like the one that someone posted here, I will also need a serial to USB adaptor?. Are you telling me that Garmin, or someone, makes a cable that will connect to my old Etrex and then directly to a USB port in my lap top? That would be better than having to find the corresponding adaptor, too! Thanks, again.

I have an Etrex and bought this USB cable a few weeks back and it works fine, no hassle (For the record, I have no connection to this seller at all, I can just vouch for the fact that I bought this and it works!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-SERIAL-CONVERTER-DATA-CABLE-GARMIN-eTrex-GEKO-GPS_W0QQitemZ260775134765QQihZ016QQcategoryZ139836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It goes straight from the Etrex to a USB port, and I download pocket queries into EasyGPS (free software) and then you can export it to the GPS in a few seconds.

They provide the drivers on a mini-CD. I'd never seen one of these before but it works just as a normal CD in the drive.

Hope that helps.

I have an Etrex and bought this USB cable a few weeks back and it works fine, no hassle (For the record, I have no connection to this seller at all, I can just vouch for the fact that I bought this and it works!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-SERIAL-CONVERTER-DATA-CABLE-GARMIN-eTrex-GEKO-GPS_W0QQitemZ260775134765QQihZ016QQcategoryZ139836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It goes straight from the Etrex to a USB port, and I download pocket queries into EasyGPS (free software) and then you can export it to the GPS in a few seconds.

They provide the drivers on a mini-CD. I'd never seen one of these before but it works just as a normal CD in the drive.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I'll check out that link. However, does your Etrex have the little copper metal things under the flap or some other sort of port? Mine is an old version, so it only has the copper things. I don't have a ETREX GEKO, just the plain ETREX. It might make a difference?

Hope that helps.

This looks like it might work! However, are you in England??? The price is not in dollars, and I'm not sure they will ship free from Europe!!Ha. Maybe I can find something like it in the state?

Thanks! I'll check out that link. However, does your Etrex have the little copper metal things under the flap or some other sort of port? Mine is an old version, so it only has the copper things. I don't have a ETREX GEKO, just the plain ETREX. It might make a difference?

Yep - just the copper things! :rolleyes:

Ha. You are making fun of me now, but that's ok. I like to have fun! :P

You forgot to mention, did you purchase that from England...if so, do you live there, in which case, I won't try to order it from there. Is it common for people to order items over the internet from over seas, either direction? Ok, so roll your eyes again! I deserve it. :)