"Best of" Caches

Hey wonderful cachers!

On behalf of Groundspeak, I am wondering what you all would consider to be the "Best of" caches.

A "Best of" cache is an awesome cache that would make geocaching sound amazing to anyone just learning about the activity. These can range anywhere from a 5/5 cache to an extra creative or scenic cache.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please include a URL to the cache page.:-)

Edited by smelly_kelly

Best Found: EL INDIO AMIZONICO! Hike through a trail-less mountain creek bed. Three rope drops/climbs. crawl through a mini forest to find yourself on a giant flat rock looking over the Pacific Ocean and the coastline of the Santa Monica Bay to the south, and higher peaks of the Santa Monica Mountains in all other direction. Having lunch with seven great caching friends made it a perfect day.

Best Hidden: Summer of Love It's only one of two urban caches that I own, and almost all of the logs have been positive. Not all, but a high majority of cut n' paste cachers that hit the area on a run will break form and comment that it was their favorite cache of the day. I've been dying to post it to the CCC thread, but I don't want to give up it's secret.

Hey wonderful cachers!

On behalf of Groundspeak, I am wondering what you all would consider to be the "Best of" caches.

A "Best of" cache is an awesome cache that would make geocaching sound amazing to anyone just learning about the activity. These can range anywhere from a 5/5 cache to an extra creative or scenic cache.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please include a URL to the cache page.:-)

Without a shred of a doubt:

Necropolis of Britannia Manor III

Hidden by the really cool gazillionaire game developer and casual aquanaut/abyssal-cacher/astronaut/astro-cacher extraordinaire and personal friend to the gc.com founders....and from what I hear just a regular guy in person, Richard Garriott aka Lord British.

If you consider the resources it took and what his free time must be worth in dollars, Necropolis is easily worth 50k to 100k and that is all things considered. Sure he had help, but what a result! 138 Favorites so far! Just awesome!

Take a gander at the gallery...

0255fd7f-6ca8-4f1e-a4ec-3cb1e539359d.jpg

I thought for sure Snoogans would have pointed out this thread.

I'll bring up the cache I mentioned in that thread: It'll Run You Ragged.

This Multi Cache takes you on a tour of Ragged Island in the middle of beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee. To begin, you collect some information about the lake and the island to calculate where the first stage is. Then, you're off on your tour of the island. Each stage takes you a bit further around the island. Keep your eyes peeled for scenic views and wildlife. I'm told it isn't uncommon to run into deer while on the island, and I bummed into a Canada Goose during my trek there. All the stages are nicely challenging, but not impossible to find, and it is quite satisfying when you reach the final.

In Florida, the virtual cache Ed Watson was Bad Man, a great boat trip through the western Everglades to the furthest outpost human settlement, some interesting history.

Also in Florida, Multiple Gators, an easily accessible paddle on a beautiful piece of the Hillsborough River. This cache is not too demanding for the casual paddler, and people do seem to want to see alligators when they visit. Not to mention the semi-tropical forest, the birds, orchids, otters and all the lush verdant splendor of the river basin.

c546979e-73cd-4b89-87d6-49862afe45e5.jpg

But you're right, as a shameless self promoter, I would be remiss if I didn't add my favorite among my own caches: A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack

That is a great one. I loved it. I shall shamelessly self-promote as well. Deep Thought is a fairly easy puzzle and a really hard find; it's suspended 15 feet under water with visibility about 5 feet.

High praise. I saw you on the favorits log just this week. Thanks. I can't tell you how many times the logs for that cache have made my day.

Your cache looks fun too and it has similar DNF logs to mine. That's always a good sign. : B)

Wow, this was by far the best DNF I've ever had!

Everyone around here loved this one: GC2PKP3 -> http://coord.info/GC2PKP3

I made it with some of my friends, we had a blast designing it :laughing:

It got very good logs from everyone that actually dared to go down there,some almost got lost in the labyrinth for ever and some people couldn't eat meat for quite a while after finishing :anibad:

Plus, it was hot, dirty, full of spiders, dark, damp and overall creepy. :laughing:

Edited by Otis.Gore

Our favorite is a local one has only been found by a few, which is such a shame. Probably in part because it was only our 2nd or 3rd find, and our first FTF, but we still love it, and wish we could find others as clever. It is a multi and true puzzle in the mountains of southeastern Idaho. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=92777974-aa8c-4866-9c8a-6e92b71449eb T-Canyon Road #7 - Cruel and unusual punishment. GC1Y3EW It is listed as a flashlight cache, and is meant to be done in the dark. each of the caches is a puzzle, located by colored reflectors on the trees at each coordinate. You need to have with you:

1. A good FLASHLIGHT, 2. A buddy to share the expierence, 3. A game cube (die/dice), 4. A copy of the periodic table, 5. A copy of the numeric values associated with the greek alphabet, 6. The number of pi to the 25th decimal. 7. A knowledge of Roman Numerals 8. Something to write with and on. 9. A calculator

10. Your favorite lucky charm.

when you do the puzzle, you collect letters, which as you sit and organize them spell "look up" where you will find you are right underneath a gallon jug hanging from a tree branch. Loaded with great swag for kids.

It's far enough into national forest to camp by, but close enough to a forest service road that you can easily hike there with kids.

Edited by Jim & Pam

I know it can't compare to most of what's already in this thread, but I like my own cache GC2YX6B because of some of the logs I have gotten of people's adventure finding the cache. (scroll down through the logs to see the good ones, and the FTF. Most of the newest ones were from a large caching group that found a lot of caches that day, so all the logs are short)