Oregon x50 software version 4.49 Beta

coggins

Changes made from version 4.47 to 4.49:

Fixed issues relating to WAAS performance.

Fixed issue where the device would not regain a GPS signal after losing the GPS signal in a tunnel.

Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs.

Fixed an issue where the enabled/disabled option for custom maps could not be changed when two or more BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery providers were on the device.

Fixed an issue where the device would not beep when approaching a destination while routing off-road.

Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com

LINK

Changes made from version 4.47 to 4.49:

• Fixed issues relating to WAAS performance.

Here's hoping that particular bullet point works out better THIS time.

Indeed.

This is the only element in the changelog I'm interested in.

But I'm VERY interested.

Won't be home to install until Sunday night. Hope to hear good comments to tide me over until then.

...the unit now has a WAAS lock, and I can see lots of little Ds on the satellite bars. So far so good!

--Larry

Is that how you tell WAAS is working, by getting Ds on the bars?

Yes. The data for each bar (satellite) with a "D" at the bottom has the WAAS data incorporated into the results.

I still have the shut down problem: Press "Where to go" then "Photos", scroll down button, scroll down again, screen fades out and GPS shuts down by itself. I've had this problem since 4.32. I thought they fixed the issue, but well, I was wrong, again. Going back to 4.20.

Edited by Henrylw

I still have the shut down problem: Press "Where to go" then "Photos", scroll down button, scroll down again, screen fades out and GPS shuts down by itself. I've had this problem since 4.32. I thought they fixed the issue, but well, I was wrong, again. Going back to 4.20.

Henrylw, be sure to drop Garmin an email about the issue. Send it to the email address mentioned on the firmware download page. If they can reproduce the error they will fix it.

I'm in a hotel this weekend and itching to install this beta , but I have forgotten my USB cable.

Do you think if I put the update.gcd in the /garmin directory of my sdcard the device will see it and do the install?

I don't know if it will or it won't, but there's only one way to find out. If it doesn't work, the worst that will happen is it will take up space on your card.

31 caches today and no malfunctions. WAAS seems to be operating peculiarly but acceptably. WAAS satellites show up 5 by 5 with a big white bar, then disappear, only to return with another 5 by 5 signal. Takes a few of those before I finally get a data lock. So it appears that the solution to prior problems of not being able to download the almanac and searching endlessly for other WAAS satellites is to keep restarting and hammering any WAAS satellite seen with a decent signal. That's a good approach if there isn't a solution to the underlying problem (difficulty pulling down the WAAS data in spite of a good signal). It's almost as though the chip can't properly frame the data, and Garmin has to keep kicking it in the butt to retry until the chip is successful. I don't see any modification to the GPS chip firmware.

I am travelling and had horrible performance with 4.47 last night. Was caching during my road trip and the routing was lagging worse and worse until it became unusable while I was driving around in Philly. Got so bad I gave up early and just went back on the highway southbound.

Just instlled the new 4.49 and hope this stays solid all day.

Came back from a morning of caching using 4.49. Worked excellent.

I revisited a couple of caches to compare the improvement. Last week, while standing next a hide, I was given a distance of 40 feet off. Today only 9 feet.

Typically had a reported accuracy of 10 or 12ft today, previously the 20's were the norm.

This afternoon we will be going into the woods. Don't expect such improvements under the canopy, but we"ll see.

• Fixed issue where the device would not regain a GPS signal after losing the GPS signal in a tunnel.

Very good, that happened to me once.

• Fixed an issue where the device would not beep when approaching a destination while routing off-road.

Not so good, assuming that's about the "arriving at destination" screen. Getting rid of that was one of the best "features" of the recent betas lol.

Just upgraded now, didn't wanna risk bricking the unit while being out in the middle of nowhere for the weekend.

Came back from a morning of caching using 4.49. Worked excellent.

I revisited a couple of caches to compare the improvement. Last week, while standing next a hide, I was given a distance of 40 feet off. Today only 9 feet.

Typically had a reported accuracy of 10 or 12ft today, previously the 20's were the norm.

This afternoon we will be going into the woods. Don't expect such improvements under the canopy, but we"ll see.

That does not necessiarly mean accuracy has improved. The cache cords could be 40 feet off. So it is POSSIBLE that you had a better reading previously. This could also be explained by better sat geomtry.

Instead of using geocaches, if there is a spot with a known location (Benchmark perhaps) see how far off you are from it. Or go to a spot in your yard, use the waypoint averging over many days to get a really good location. Then when you go from one version to another you can compare your reading to this point.

I just sent my Oregon 450 back for a refund. I just couldn't handle that lousy display any longer, and it had software bugs that bothered me like the inability to regain a lock after losing it in a tunnel. I always had to power cycle it to get a lock.

I think I have had it with Garmin after owning about 10 of their units. I also hate their map policy. For instance, the City Navigator 2011 I bought for the 450 a month ago can't be used on any new unit. With all the Garmin GPSs I have owned, I have about 4 copies of CN that I can't use any more.

I'm going to jump ship and try Magellan for a while. Couldn't be any worse than Garmin.

So how has this beta been doing? I have never loaded a beta and would like to try this one. Seems to be it must be working good because there is not a lot of negative feedback here.

I did do a web updater a week or so ago and it did say I had the latest on what is out there right now.

Not sure you can guage feedback by the number of responses, but I do know when things don't work people are all over here.

Hasn't created any new problems thus far, and their approach to WAAS IS different - not perfect, but possibly the best that Garmin can do from their firmware end. I'm guessing the issues related to framing the WAAS satellite data are on the chipset/firmware end. All Garmin can do is keep beating it to death until some valid data is finally generated by the chip. At least all of the old silliness about searching every satellite is long gone (e.g., searching for EGNOS when you're in California) from a prior release. This code version seems to find any SBAS satellite with a decent signal, and if valid data doesn't start to appear, restarts the process. Rinse and repeat until success. Better than some of the older alternatives, that's for sure.

I've noticed that sometimes, selecting an icon (cache icon) from the map triggers some weird behavior.The selection doesn't seem to stick, but rather gets reset evert 1-22 seconds or so. This is noticeable when there's other items underneath the cursor, because then the top bar starts to kinda flicker. Not a big deal since it's still functional, just a cosmetic issue.

Im not sure if I found a bug but I cant see any of my archived tracklogs on the map.

Anyone else?

I am having a problem with my archived tracks, also. When I go to "View Map" for an archived track the map instantly zooms in to 20 ft. and shows the map in the middle of the ocean off of the East coast of Africa no matter where the track is actually located (some in MS and some in TN).

If I return the archived track back to "Make Favorite" then the tracks shows up properly.

edit: Reported problem to Garmin at OregonBeta@garmin.com Anyone else experiencing this should report this also so maybe Garmin will have it corrected in the next Beta update.

Edited by eaparks
I am having a problem with my archived tracks, also. When I go to "View Map" for an archived track the map instantly zooms in to 20 ft. and shows the map in the middle of the ocean off of the East coast of Africa no matter where the track is actually located
I've been there before. Turns out that's the zero point, due south of Greenwhich and on the equator. If in doubt go to 0,0.

Im not sure if I found a bug but I cant see any of my archived tracklogs on the map.

Anyone else?

I am having a problem with my archived tracks, also. When I go to "View Map" for an archived track the map instantly zooms in to 20 ft. and shows the map in the middle of the ocean off of the East coast of Africa no matter where the track is actually located (some in MS and some in TN).

If I return the archived track back to "Make Favorite" then the tracks shows up properly.

edit: Reported problem to Garmin at OregonBeta@garmin.com Anyone else experiencing this should report this also so maybe Garmin will have it corrected in the next Beta update.

I received an email from Garmin about 1 hour after I reported the above problem to Garmin and here is their reply, "We have this fixed. This issue will no longer be present in the next software release. –Oregon Software Team".

Looks like Garmin is on top of things.

My unit has just under 100 JNX files loaded on the microSD card and it takes over 3 minutes to boot up (16gb class 6). I don't really know what kinds of checks are takin place but it's really starting to tick me off. I hope Garmin can do something to speed things along a bit.

My unit has just under 100 JNX files loaded on the microSD card and it takes over 3 minutes to boot up (16gb class 6). I don't really know what kinds of checks are takin place but it's really starting to tick me off. I hope Garmin can do something to speed things along a bit.

That sounds way to long. Don't know why Garmin couldn't write the software to look for just the new files to check since the last power cycle, since other things are stored in memory.

I feel sure you have already reported a detailed report of the problem to Garmin. I would be curious as to what their reply was?