Beta Software: GPSMAP 62/78 Ver. 2.95

dhoag

Changes made from version 2.94 to 2.95:

◦Fixed issues relating to WAAS performance.

◦Fixed issue where the device would not regain a GPS signal after losing the GPS signal in a tunnel.

◦Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs.

◦Fixed issue where proximity waypoint alerts could only be set in feet regardless of what was selected as a Distance/Speed unit in the setup page.

◦Fixed an issue where the enabled/disabled option for custom maps could not be changed when two or more BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery providers were on the device.

◦Fixed an issue where the device would not beep when approaching a destination while routing off-road.

◦Problems with the software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com

Well...that sucks. They fixed the fix.

I never wanted the proximity alert to beep...ever.

It was fixed in 2.94 so it would NOT beep while offroad mode was used. Now they broke it back again...dang :blink:

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the lack of that alert as well. Oh well... <_<

Well...that sucks. They fixed the fix.

I never wanted the proximity alert to beep...ever.

It was fixed in 2.94 so it would NOT beep while offroad mode was used. Now they broke it back again...dang :blink:

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the lack of that alert as well. Oh well... <_<

Personally I like the alert. All the other waypoints 'beep' when navigating a route. To find a cache you need to come out of the route nav and select a single cache and GO - but before there was no beep like in route navigation; I find the readdition a welcome.

Maybe have it switchable for those that dont like it?

If I load my unit with my (legal) copy of CN 2011.40 to the unit and beta v2.93-.95 it will be unable to authenticate the maps and they wont load.

I can downgrade to v2.92 and the unit will authenticate the same .img file. Just wanted to see if this was my unit-specific.

Personally I like the alert. All the other waypoints 'beep' when navigating a route. To find a cache you need to come out of the route nav and select a single cache and GO - but before there was no beep like in route navigation; I find the readdition a welcome.

Maybe have it switchable for those that dont like it?

Exactly Mr Garmin - I thought it was great when it went but appreciate others may like it. Can't understand why something so fundemental isn't treated as a configuration option rather than one god like persons opinion about how it should work!

Gotta admit, the Garmin beta team for this cycle is very communicative, back and forth a lot on this issue and one other. Quick and responsive.

For anyone who cares, and this might be specific for my unit, with regard to my CN Authentication issues..cut a long story short, stripped all my Birdseye images, reloaded CN maps and they unlocked first time. Stayed authenticated with new Birdseye placd on the unit. Still a mystery, but seems to work OK now.

I haven't yet been caching with this Beta.

I like the proximity alarm, too, but I have to physically press enter to carry on.

For geocaching, when you hear the beep, you will prob be looking out for the actual cache location rather than carrying on somewhere else. If you mean carrying on using the actual gps, then, yes, a quick press is required if you want to see, for example, the compass page to home in further. The arrival screen does clear itself after 10secs or so.

Does it clear on it's own after a few seconds?

It does clear after approx 10secs - mark a waypoint at your current location and then press go. The 62s will instantly beep telling you that you have arrived..... then wait 10secs and the screen clears itself.

I flashed to 2.95 and on my first field trial, the track log seems to be far more inaccurate than my previous version (2.80). Anybody else notice a difference? BTW, I did no caching, just a short hike. The track log did not follow the trail (visible on aerial photos) very well.

Finally had a day caching with this Beta, in the 10 hours...

- crashed about 4 times, usually associated with the graphical effect of a screen sliding out to the right. Last found cache was re-marked as unattempted.

- selecting anything on the map that wasn't a geocache froze the unit for a few seconds.

"Do you have topo maps on your unit? We have identified an issue with the last couple beta releases and have a fix ready for the next software release.

62 Software Team"

Yes, i do have topos on mine.

"The 'freezing' when selecting a point on the map will be fixed in the next release. - 62 Software Team"

Edited by Maingray

Yikes. Took out my 62s geocaching today (first time with 2.95beta). It did not work at all for me. I had trouble selecting a cache to find, then, once I got one selected, if I switched to the Geocaching screen, any selection that I made (such as Description) would shut off my unit (actually power it off). I tried restarting it several times, and I had the same problem. And to make matters worse, I cannot figure out how to roll back the firmware. I tried downloading the GPSMAP62_78_WebUpdater_280.gcd file, but it will not run in any program I have installed. I tried flashing using the 293Beta.exe, but the file will not run. I tried it on a Windows 7 machine and on a Windows XP machine. I am sure that I rolled back firmware before (last summer) and had no trouble. Somebody throw me a bone!

Thanks, Maingray. I have basically started over with my 62s. I deleted my supplemental maps (topos), and all of my GPX files. I was then able to restart the unit. Then I rebuilt both topos and my Geocaches.gpx files, and reinstalled them on the SD card. It DID take a long time to load initially, but now it does seem to work. I will try it out for a while and see if it remains stable for me.

Thanks for the process of rolling back the firmware. I had to do it at least once last summer but could not for the life of me remember the process.

I went out and got three caches, all tough. The proximity alarm stopped working for caches #2 and #3. I'll test that again tomorrow, and on one cache the distance to cache froze at 35 feet, reminiscent of the "sticky" issue. All other functions appear to be okay but I'll be back out tomorrow to get some caches and take more notes.

**(next day)** Got six for six today. The proximity alarm is working fine (I guess I was just tired yesterday, lol) and all functions appear to be working fine. I couldn't be more pleased with the 62s and version 2.95.

Edited by luvvinbird

No, when I attempt to access my field notes to upload my geocache_visits.txt file, the geocaching.com web site does not find any of the caches that I have logged as found or not found since I loaded 2.95b. It DOES see the geocache logs from all the caches prior to the 2.95b firmware version, however.

Is anybody else having trouble with paperless geocaching with 2.95b? When I went to upload 3 days of caching, the GC.com website sees no new caches (since the update to 2.95b - it sees the older ones fine).

Fieldnotes are fine here for 2.95beta - straight from 62s to GC.com.

Your post reads as though you did say 1 days caching, then upgraded the software, then did another 2 days caching, before you uploaded the geocache_visits.txt file... am I understanding that correctly? If this was the case, maybe the geocache_visits.txt file didnt like the software transition for some reason. Once you have got all the info from your current geocache_visits.txt file, delete it and try again on the next caching trip. If all 3 days were with the upgraded software, I havent a clue what the prob is - sorry.

The proximity alarm stopped working for caches #2 and #3.

**(next day)** The proximity alarm is working fine

We did 22 caches yesterday, and Im 99.9% sure that the proximity alarm failed on one particular cache - in fact we walked past it approx 150ft.....you have got me wondering now........ :-)

I had geocached and used the paperless feature for many months, on many different firmwares. The Geocaching.com website could see all of the found caches up until the firmware update to 2.95b.

I am going to punt on 2.95b. Rolling back to 2.80, which I think is the last stable version.

BTW, I did delete the geocache_visits.txt file. I think it was probably corrupt.

Is anybody else having trouble with paperless geocaching with 2.95b? When I went to upload 3 days of caching, the GC.com website sees no new caches (since the update to 2.95b - it sees the older ones fine).

Fieldnotes are fine here for 2.95beta - straight from 62s to GC.com.

Your post reads as though you did say 1 days caching, then upgraded the software, then did another 2 days caching, before you uploaded the geocache_visits.txt file... am I understanding that correctly? If this was the case, maybe the geocache_visits.txt file didnt like the software transition for some reason. Once you have got all the info from your current geocache_visits.txt file, delete it and try again on the next caching trip. If all 3 days were with the upgraded software, I havent a clue what the prob is - sorry.

Rollback? rename the .gcd as gcupdate.gcd, copy to \garmin folder on the gps and restart it.

I tried this method to return to 280, but when I restart, it still says I am running 2.95 on the "About" screen.

Anybody else got any ideas for rolling back to a previous version?

We ran 2 long days of powercaching with the beta version. The stupid prox alarm (which we hate) was working...albeit glitchy as per timing and duration. It used to be a 3 second blanking of the screen at 30 seconds away from gz.... now it was much more random as per the trigger.

Accuracy was right on. Track maps look segmenty...but I didn't bother moving it off of auto.

We still hate the 'not attempted' process. Once I log the cache as 'not attempted' and hit next closest...it grabs the same unattempted cache. I'd like to NOT attempt that one. The logic works fine if you search the closest and pick the next to next closest cache. Same issue with a did not find. I'm pretty much done looking for that one once I dnf it.

No lockups. No shutdowns. I don't use topo maps....just city streets.

Problems with the software may be reported to 62-78Beta@garmin.com

Perhaps there is a loading problem with 3.0

I've had it hang up and fail to load the file completely.

The file ended up corrupt and I had to go download the gpx file again, and start up again. The second time it loaded fine.