Nearest Cache Page

iryshe

Apologies! I did not think to look at the very bottom of the page for the legend. Sille me. :-(

quote:
Originally posted by herbk:

I am confused by one feature of the new format. At the right, under "last found" there are often two relative dates. The top one is clearly the date at which the cache was last found. The lower one, indicating an earlier date, does not seem to correspond to anything I can identify. It is not the previous find date, nor is it the date the cache came into existence. Also, the first date is sometimes followed by and asterisk, sometimes not.

I think the page should have a legend explaining what these items are.

Herb

quote:
Originally posted by herbk:

I am confused by one feature of the new format. At the right, under "last found" there are often two relative dates. The top one is clearly the date at which the cache was last found. The lower one, indicating an earlier date, does not seem to correspond to anything I can identify. It is not the previous find date, nor is it the date the cache came into existence. Also, the first date is sometimes followed by and asterisk, sometimes not.

Dates? How did you get dates displayed? Let me know what you did to get dates displayed, I only get how many days ago.

quote:
kablooey wrote:

- Nearest caches page uses Javascript for some reason to go to the next page?

Yeah. Using JavaScript for the paging is a major headache for me.

And finding that the "Back" button on my browser took me from the cache page I was looking at to a "Post Data Missing" error rather than back to the list of caches was a bit of a pain too. Ok, more than a bit. It basically makes the list useless for checking more than one cache.

Netscape 4.79 on W2K without JavaScript enabled ('cos with JavaScript, the browser tends to crash frequently, and even if it doesn't the pop-ups from other sites get pretty annoying.)

As long as we're doing wish lists, could we have a check box to permanently exclude unfound caches that we just don't want to bother with? Some people just don't like puzzle caches, caches by a particular hider, ivy patches, etc. Rather than try to have a filter option on every conceivable variable shown, why not just let the user click a box on those he doesn't want and it won't show up on his Nearest To list any more. I'm sick of having to page through those to get to the stuff I'm really interested in.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

As long as we're doing wish lists, could we have a check box to permanently exclude unfound caches that we just don't want to bother with? Some people just don't like puzzle caches, caches by a particular hider, ivy patches, etc. Rather than try to have a filter option on every conceivable variable shown, why not just let the user click a box on those he doesn't want and it won't show up on his Nearest To list any more. I'm sick of having to page through those to get to the stuff I'm really interested in.

If you use GPX or LOC files, try Utopia. You can add any caches you want to its Ignore List, and they won't be displayed. See the screenshots page for an example.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I was unable to get on the website except sporadically this weekend due to Server Too Busy errors. It took hours (literally) to do what usually takes minutes. This isn't the first time this has happened and it seems to be getting worse on weekends. I guess it is a sign of the growing popularity of geocaching, but it is a pain. I know I'm not alone in this, but I haven't seen anything in the forums. Jeremy, are you in need of another server? A mirror site? Greater bandwidth? Is this being fixed? I'm just looking for a sign that relief is in sight. icon_confused.gif

BTW, thanks for the lead on Utopia. It has some nice features, including the ignore list, but it also has its limitations (e.g., can't handle GPXSpinner gpx files, difficulty level not shown). What we really need is one really good application that does everything instead of half a dozen different aps that do different things.

quote:

BTW, thanks for the lead on Utopia. It has some nice features, including the ignore list, but it also has its limitations (e.g., can't handle GPXSpinner gpx files, difficulty level not shown). What we really need is one really good application that does everything instead of half a dozen different aps that do different things.

Difficulty and Terrain ratings are slated for the next release.

Utopia won't open GPXSpinner files for the same reason that GPXSpinner won't open them. Utopia can "spin" the cache data in a similar way. For example, it can assign whatever waypoint icons you want for Found, Unfound, and Owned caches. It can alter the first letter of a waypoint to indicate the type of cache ("M" for multi, "T" for traditional, "W" for webcam, "V" for virtual, etc.), or it can append it to the end of the waypoint, if your GPS supports longer waypoint names. If your GPS supports comment data attached to waypoints, it can put just about anything you want there. But to do all this, it has to know what the real values are. That's why, just like GPXSpinner, it only excepts unadulterated GPX files from geocaching.com. (It can use LOC files from geocaching.com, too, but with limited functionality, do to the limited nature of LOC files.)

3608_2800.gif

icon_wink.gif

Hey we used to have an option to show caches all over the stat with a state picture and All the icons on it. I cant seem to find that anywhere!?! I was trying to send a pic to a little 8year old to show her how many caches there really are in the state of Florida but alls I come up with is the list of caches not the actual pictur ? I.E. map.

Thanks for the help,,,

B.Bernie@BMeinhart.com

"If you're not the lead dog, The view is always the same"

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bernie:

icon_wink.gif

Hey we used to have an option to show caches all over the stat with a state picture and All the icons on it. I cant seem to find that anywhere!?! I was trying to send a pic to a little 8year old to show her how many caches there really are in the state of Florida but alls I come up with is the list of caches not the actual pictur ? I.E. map.

Thanks for the help,,,

B.Bernie@BMeinhart.com)

"If you're not the lead dog, The view is always the same"

You will need to click on the In Florida, United States --->[state map]<--- link at any cache page, right beside the little map of your state. Here we go?

Time to move to California ;-)

... where is it?

I like the new page set up. Great job. My question

might be unique to the northern and southern borders. When I look for nearest caches, I try using zip code search "14225" NY - I get results across the border in Canada. If I use "My Cache Pg" filter finds, I get similar results. If I use the main pg. filter state NY > Buffalo city, I get similar results. Is there any way to filter out Canada caches being we live 7 mi from the border, and choose not to cross the very busy Peace Bridge. SF1 icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Fallenfaery:

I was trying to find a cache today. I couldn't remember the # for it and wanted to look at the maps to locate it. But I can't find the map you would get when you did a search of state or zip code. What happened to it?

Hmm, I checked this yesterday, as you can see above, and it worked for us. I checked it for this cache Free Food.... (jk) and it works:

In California, United States [state map]

Hidden: 7/22/2003

Use waypoint: GCGFDY (what's this?)

You will need to click on the [state map] link.

Maybe a bug with this particular cache?

... where is it?

I read through this thread and didn't see this bug posted yet.

Searching for traditional caches by coordinates, the first 2 pages come up correctly, but starting with the 3rd page, there are mystery, event, multi, virtual caches mixed in.

Searching for multi-caches, first page is good, second page is mixed up.

quote:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Please! Yes! I have a series of caches that I would just prefer never to see again, never to be reminded of in my filtered finds, or ever again for that matter. Sure, I can filter them out with my own custom software so that they are left out of my GPX file (which I do anyway), but sometimes I like to get on the site and look at the caches closest to home -- AND I DON'T WANT TO SEE SOME OF THOSE CRAPPY CACHES BY CRAPPY CACHERS ANYMORE!! And I don't want to spend a good day outside bothering with those stupid caches so that they fall off the list normally. (sorry for all the yelling, but I really, really, really strongly agree with The Rat!!!)

[This message was edited by GeoROCKS! on July 18, 2003 at 11:03 AM.]

quote:

What we really need is one really good application that does everything instead of half a dozen different aps that do different things.

I've got one application that does everything that I want -- it's based on a version of fizzymagic's GPX2HTML but goes way beyond. I've added features that cover everything from filtering by type, cache ID, and location to including caches within a specific distance from whatever freeways I designate. It changes the waypoints within the new GPX file that is downloaded into my GPS to reflect the types (i.e. multi, micro, virtual, those with travel bugs, those that haven't been found yet, etc.) and removes the GC at the beginning (in a futile effort to clean up the GPS display!)

Are people discussing other cool features that I haven't heard about? What else are we all looking for? I MIGHT consider releasing this to the general geocaching public at some time, but not quite yet...

Yep, I've requested it before, and I'll request again (just to be REALLY repetitive repetitive), there are many of us who would appreciate the ability to mark a cache as "ignored", so it just doesn't appear on our closest caches pages, our pocket queries, etc.

We all know this will be a bit of work for the Admins, but let's hope they find the time to add this feature.

Also, we've been told that we can't filter out the "temporarily disabled" caches, because it is our duty to make sure those caches get archived or brought back into service. Therefore, on "disabled" caches, there should be no way to place an "ignore" log. However, on all other caches, Ignore should be an option, and the best way is to add it to the "log cache" page (although an "ignore log" shouldn't show up in the normal logs for a cache, maybe just for the cache owner to see, if anyone).

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

I've got one application that does everything that I want -- it's based on a version of fizzymagic's GPX2HTML but goes way beyond. I've added features that cover everything from filtering by type, cache ID, and location to including caches within a specific distance from whatever freeways I designate. It changes the waypoints within the new GPX file that is downloaded into my GPS to reflect the types (i.e. multi, micro, virtual, those with travel bugs, those that haven't been found yet, etc.) and removes the GC at the beginning (in a futile effort to clean up the GPS display!)

Are people discussing other cool features that I haven't heard about? What else are we all looking for? I MIGHT consider releasing this to the general geocaching public at some time, but not quite yet...

One of the awesome features of Lil' Devil's Spinner software is that it renames long geocache names into shorter names that actually fit on my GPSr. In other words, it "smart truncates" cache names into 6 or 10 letter waypoints that are still readable. This makes it SOOO much easier to find when comparing nearby caches showing up in the GPSr to the printouts or mobibook files in my PDA. It's an invaluable tool, and none of the other software seems to truncate cache names in the same awesome way. Further, Spinner changes the actual waypoint icons for you so they also make more sense when looking at your GPSr (i.e. cache box for regular caches, toll booth for micros, zoo icon when there is a travel bug, etc). Spinner can also read Watcher's "ignore list" too, which is great.

I'd be thrilled if Watcher and Spinner were combined into one program, also adding the neat feature of Utopia which allows you to export to Map Source waypoint files. Otherwise, getting waypoints to Map Source requires using your GPSr as a transfer medium.

That's something I'd definitely pay $30 for.

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy_Skyking & Blaze:

Ignore should be an option, and the best way is to add it to the "log cache" page (although an "ignore log" shouldn't show up in the normal logs for a cache, maybe just for the cache owner to see, if anyone).

You can currently see how many people are watching a cache. That often indicates its popularity or something unique about it that interests a variety of people.

Conversely, seeing how many people are ignoring a cache might be just as informative. I would probably shy away from spending a lot of time on a cache that 47 people are ignoring.

I greatly miss the 'old' user profile info that actually showed the caches found and dates and not just categories and counts.

The new info page is 'pretty' but relatively useless info, at least to me.

Thanks for keeping things running though.

quote:
Originally posted by maleki:

I greatly miss the 'old' user profile info that actually showed the caches found and dates and not just categories and counts.

The new info page is 'pretty' but relatively useless info, at least to me.

I thought it was fairly useless too, until I found out that you can click on the cache picture icons to actually see the list of caches found or hidden by that user in each categrory. That makes it REALLY useful! You probably didn't try clicking on the icons next to the counts of each cache type.

However, I'd also appreciate if the Admins would add another link on that profile page so that you could see ALL caches found/hidden by the user (like you could in the past), rather than just category by category. They used to have it before, and I can't figure out why they took out the ability to see a whole list in one shebang. The new feature is nice too, but now it seems incomplete.

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy_Skyking & Blaze:

However, I'd also appreciate if the Admins would add another link on that profile page so that you could see ALL caches found/hidden by the user (like you could in the past), rather than just category by category. They used to have it before, and I can't figure out why they took out the ability to see a whole list in one shebang. The new feature is nice too, but now it seems incomplete.

You can still go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page and search by caches found by a username. It works like it always did--a list of all the finds for that user.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

I was initially unimpressed with the changes, but had nothing to complain about. Every new tweak makes it more user friendly for me so keep it up.

The changes leave me absolutely cold. All the additional Javascript makes it unusable on a PDA in the field, and the heavy styling makes the fonts tiny and unreadable. Far from user-friendly, and putting me off taking out a paid subscription.

I tried posting something yesterday that critical of Geocaching.com comparing it with another site (beginning with an "N" and ending with "avicache") but unsurprisingly that seems to have fallen into a black hole.

[This message was edited by cain mosni on July 22, 2003 at 01:19 PM.]

Jeremy's latest system update message says he has fixed various log in problems. I still am not logged into the forums when I click "Login to the forums" from the main geocaching page. icon_mad.gif

"Leaving Protected Zone: Demonstrate Personal Accountability Beyond This Point".

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I discovered tonight that you cannot traverse the search results without javascript. If you don't have it, you are limited to the first page of results. Is that by design?

I groused about that the moment I first saw the new stuff because it requires Javascript and doesn't degrade nicely and inhibits use of mouse 2 (that would be "middle click" or "control click" to windows users) to open the links in new tabs.

The clear trend is to push people that know computers away from using the web site and toward local copies of custom software using pocket queries.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I discovered tonight that you cannot traverse the search results without javascript. If you don't have it, you are limited to the first page of results. Is that by design?

My guess would be that, as with the newly-redesigned .loc download, we can thank the inconsiderate people who spider the site for this new inconvenience. Unfortunately, when you build a better mousetrap you just end up evolving better mice. The scumbags have probably already modified their spiders to keep up, leaving the rest of us here paying for their selfish attitude.

pirate.cgi.gif

Ok, I thought of something that would be pretty cool, at least I think it would be. Is there a way to put finds by state on the user stats part of the profile? I enjoy finding caches in states that I visit, and I think it would be cool to see who has found what and where.

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

CHS#1

quote:
Originally posted by rusty_da_dog:

Ok, I thought of something that would be pretty cool, at least I think it would be. Is there a way to put finds by state on the user stats part of the profile? I enjoy finding caches in states that I visit, and I think it would be cool to see who has found what and where.

It's already being done, though not on this site. Look here.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

The clear trend is to push people that know computers away from using the web site and toward local copies of custom software using pocket queries.

A disappointing trend, given that geocaching.com is by far THE dominant geocaching web site, leaving it free to pretty much dictate to the world.

I just read the announcement regarding cookies from Jeremy, and the FAQs on loug out problems, and I declare both to be mistaken at best. I am constantly logged out several times during a single session, even with cookies on (they always are) and the Remember Me box checked. My firewall is not an issue. If it were blocking cookies, I wouldn't be logged back in without going to the log in page (which also happens). I just sent this email:

Grrr,

I don't know what you changed, but I keep getting logged out, or treated as though I were logged out, even after logging in and after clicking Remember me. This hppens even in the same session.

I just tried to email someone who had contacted me using the geocaching.com E-mail a User page. Since he had not left his e-mail address, I replied the same way. I had already logged in twice during this session. The message in the upper right showed me as logged in. I typed my nice long message in the window, clicked send, and the page reverted to the login page, telling me I had to log in to email a user. The indicator then said I was not logged in. I immediately clicked the back arrow to see if I could retireve my message before it got dumped from the buffer, but it was gone. It also showed me as logged in again, even though I had not done so the third time. This really, really makes me mad. I lost at least 20 minutes of work because of this, and this is just one of many such problems. My browser is set to save cookies. It doesn't happen just with email - although that's the worst due to the losing of the text. It happens also with My Cache Page, the Forums (not so often there), the filtered caches search screen, etc. It sometimes goes a week with no problem, then I'll have to log in three or four times in a single session, sometimes as little as two or three minutes apart. Why? Is it going to be fixed? I know of a lot of other users having the same problem. This must be due to the recent improvements, because it never happened before.

---

This new problem has more than undone all the good the new changes have done. It must be fixed.

Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

It's already being done, though not on this site. Look http://tinyurl.com/ibni.

I use that site sometimes - the local and state rankings are interesting, as are finding people's DNFs, etc. - but it's pretty inaccurate. Some of mine are listed twice, some not at all. For a while, the total at least was right, but now it's off. I've sent some corrections, but I haven't bothered in a while.