adding cache name to the subject line of watch list notifications

andymand

I'd rather see some sort of indication of the log type included in the text. Sometimes it's impossible to tell from just the log text if the cache was found or not. This info is included in the subject line of caches you own, but there's no indication on caches you're just watching.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Does this place a large load on the database and the email server?

I wouldn't think so. Take a look at the actual e-mail content of the notification:
quote:
THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL MESSAGE FROM GEOCACHING.COM

Replying to this message will not send a message to the user. Email contact@geocaching.com with any questions

---------------------------------------------------

CacherX has logged a cache on your watch list (CacheY). You can visit the cache at the following link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=ABCDE

User comments:

Found this cache in order to dump TB closer to its current goal. Dusk aint a good time to find caches in the woods, especially without a flash light or the clue. Coords being bang-on helped. Left TB, took spikey rabbit toy thing.

This will take you to the cache page. If you would like to modify your cache list, please visit www.geocaching.com.

Cheers,

Geocaching.com Team

The name of CacherY and CacheX are already in the body of the e-mail, so it wouldn't tax the server additionally to grab that info and insert it into the header. The only piece of information that's really missing is the type of log.

On the notifications you get for your OWN cache, the system already does this. The header on those state "CacherY found your cache", "CacherY couldn't find your cache" or "CacherY made a note on your cache page".

One of the (not insurmountable) problems I forsee is that people filter their watch lists into other e-mail folders based on the header {LOG} Watch List Notification. Making them all different headers would "draw-air-quickly" for the purposes of filtering e-mails on the receiving end.

Off Topic: Anyone else notice that the phrase "This will take you to the cache page" is misplaced? Seems to be a vestige from when the note text was not included.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by andymand:

I found a http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=31560093&r=91560093#91560093 about this (adding the cache name to the subject of watch list notifications) from late 2001, but nothing since.

I'd also like to see this on the 'so-and-so found your cache!' notifications.

Any update on this request? -AndymanD

I too would like to see Watchlists with more information in the subject.

I also mentioned maybe a daily digest of watchlists notifications. That would really reduce email load during peak times.

Kenneth Pruett