Travel Bug Greed

mkleggs

This is a TB ethic/etiquette question.

a cacher in the area owns a TB hotel. he grabs every TB he comes across and drops it in his TB Hotel. is this bad Behaviour? TBs are supposed to travel so in that regard, no foul. TBs also attract cachers and this behavior is robbing traffic and interest from other people's caches. So what do you think? Bad TB ettiquite or just moving TBs around?

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel. - the hermit crabs @ Dec 2 2005,

Sounds like someone needs to go and retrieve all of those trackables and move them along to different caches.

That works better when someone sets a 1-1 trade restriction. This is just harvesting. Taking them all simply let's the owner know that if he gets more, people will move them on.

Lieblweb, is the cacher making second visits to local caches for TBs? Is he/she getting them from far away and then dropping them in that one spot?

In my situation, I'm torn because the cacher moved mine a good distance, but since the cache is constantly having additions, my bug has fallen by the wayside. I'm just hoping it doesn't go missing.

Sounds like someone needs to go and retrieve all of those trackables and move them along to different caches.

That works better when someone sets a 1-1 trade restriction. This is just harvesting. Taking them all simply let's the owner know that if he gets more, people will move them on.

I don't understand the comment on a 1-1 restriction. Travelers are not trade items and people are free to take as many as they want. Cache owners cannot place trade restrictions on them.

I have been guilty in the past of grabbing TB's and putting them in my Stargate (which gets a good amount of traffic, several people watch it and grab bugs out of it). I don't go out intentionally and harvest the area by going to caches I have already discovered but I will grab them from caches I find.

I've got a geocoin stuck in a well stocked TB Hotel since September 2010. Very frustrating. And it's too far away for me to go and retrieve it. It's not as if it doesn't have a goal either. Perhaps such "hotels" should be limited in size to avoid this problem.

I've got a geocoin stuck in a well stocked TB Hotel since September 2010. Very frustrating. And it's too far away for me to go and retrieve it. It's not as if it doesn't have a goal either. Perhaps such "hotels" should be limited in size to avoid this problem.

It has had two discovers this year, one as recent as March... Even the Okanagan has a winter and other things to do...

How about nicely emailing the cache owner and asking if it could be moved along by someone... On the other hand Spring is in the air and cachers are coming out all over the place even up here in almost always winter... er Elkford. I don't think it has a problem though, seems like a well run operation there in Naramata.

Doug 7rxc

Except for the comment about hotels needing travelers the owner seems very pro-move those bugs. Shoot him an email and ask if he would move it out himself. Nothing wrong with a polite request.

Go to TB-Rescue.com and ask them to help.

Go to TB-Rescue.com and ask them to help.

This site really works...I had one of mine rescued through this site and I was able to also rescue a TB for some else using this site....

Another downside to these types of caches is that they can be targets for TB thieves if they are easy to get to. (BTW, why the heck would anyone be a TB thief? What do you do with them?) The one I referenced before has either been freed but not logged, or it has gone to the great cache in the sky :sad: I had been watching the logs, and the most recent reports that all the trackables are gone.