Geocaching in the rain?

Yeah, we cache in a light rain...in fact we have a 25 cache rail trail to do by mountain bike tomorrow....& there's a 30% chance of rain. Around here that's guaranteed to spell rain for at least part of the trip.

Of course the difficult part in the rain is protecting the cache container, contents &, particularly, the logbook. If the logbook gets even damp & restuffed in the baggy it will never dry out.

A light rain, generally not a problem. However I did get caught out in the woods when a thunderstorm rolled in even though only rain was forecast.

Believe me, there is nothing quite as humbling as being in a thunderstorm, huddled beneath swaying trees in 30-40 mph winds with bolts of lightning and loud cracks of thunder all around. When you feel the hairs on your arms standing up due to the storm induced static electricity, you begin to question the value of getting that last smiley. I remember saying to myself "Do you feel lucky, punk?" :P

i really dislike people who dont take care when opening my caches in the rain. like a poster above mentioned if water gets in then it will never dry out. the containers may be water proof and keep moisture out but it also keeps it in. i did one recently that had black mould in the container and on the log book

Someone left the cache out in the rain!

I don't think that I will be back,

'Cause I loaded it with GSAK,

And I'll never find that GC code again!

Oh, no!

Apologies to anyone not old enough to remember MacArthur Park

I do believe the apology should be directed to those of us who DO remember MacArthur Park. That was BAAAAAAAAD. No offense :D

As for the OP, rain is the best time to look for those caches at playgrounds. At my age, not the best place to snoop around when they are busy.

Edited by GrateBear

i really dislike people who dont take care when opening my caches in the rain. like a poster above mentioned if water gets in then it will never dry out. the containers may be water proof and keep moisture out but it also keeps it in. i did one recently that had black mould in the container and on the log book

VERY interesting. I had a cacher log smilies on two of my caches the other day, but he said that he didn't sign the log sheet because it was raining. I told him that while I appreciated his courtesy, Groundspeak rules say otherwise about logging the cache online and earning that smilie...

VERY interesting. I had a cacher log smilies on two of my caches the other day, but he said that he didn't sign the log sheet because it was raining. I told him that while I appreciated his courtesy, Groundspeak rules say otherwise about logging the cache online and earning that smilie...

That's a little tougher than I probably would have been. I think I wold have asked for a description of the container and hiding spot. Although my logic would probably promote a new breed of storm chasing armchair loggers. :)

I live in Seattle, if the rain stopped my caching, I would hardly ever cache in the winter...

Fixed it for you! :lol:

Since I'm in the PNW area, it rains almost everyday. So I have to grit my teeth and go caching when I want to even if its pouring. But since I am becoming used to it.

See? :rolleyes:

It really isn't quite that bad, but if you live in the Seattle area you should be prepared for wet weather at almost any time. I will gladly take the rain over the tornadoes hitting other parts of the country today. :ph34r:

lost count how many times we went out in pouring rain, if you're dressed properly you're fine, we got nice rain suits and neoprene boots so doesn't matter

this is the trail to one of the caches we did couple of weeks ago :D

008-3.jpg

That really isn't too different from what at least two of my caches offer up year round. :)

I do believe the apology should be directed to those of us who DO remember MacArthur Park. That was BAAAAAAAAD. No offense :D\

None taken.

Ok, then. Apologies to anyone who DOES remember MacArthur Park.

I told him that while I appreciated his courtesy, Groundspeak rules say otherwise about logging the cache online and earning that smilie...

I believe that Groundspeak's position on what constitutes a "find" does not rule out logging a "Found it" without having actually signed the log.

I do believe the apology should be directed to those of us who DO remember MacArthur Park. That was BAAAAAAAAD. No offense :D\

None taken.

Ok, then. Apologies to anyone who DOES remember MacArthur Park.

I told him that while I appreciated his courtesy, Groundspeak rules say otherwise about logging the cache online and earning that smilie...

I believe that Groundspeak's position on what constitutes a "find" does not rule out logging a "Found it" without having actually signed the log.

Maybe we're misunderstanding each other... But I don't think we are... See line one: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

The past few days it has been raining everyday and it has been ruining my Geocaching trips. Just curious if the rain stops your caching trips as well or if you just ignore it?

Nothing stops me from Geocaching. ~620 continuous days with at least one find.

NEITHER RAIN NOR SNOW NOR GLOM OF NIT...

Edited by DragonsWest

Maybe we're misunderstanding each other... But I don't think we are... See line one: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

I am familiar with the sentence to which you refer.

I'm only saying that there are multiple interpretations of the statement "Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.", as been mentioned many times in the forums.

That particular sentence (as tozainamboku has pointed out many times in these forums), can also be interpreted to mean nothing more than that cache owners may not delete a "Found it" log once the physical log has been signed. This interpretation reflects Groundspeak's position related to ALR (Additional Logging Requirements) restrictions. But it does not specifically rule out situations in which the cache owner allows "Found it" logs to stand in situations in which the physical log was not signed.

I think I would prefer to allow an honest unsigned logsheet find on my cache over the option of getting the logbook and contents of the cache soaked.

The past few days it has been raining everyday and it has been ruining my Geocaching trips. Just curious if the rain stops your caching trips as well or if you just ignore it?

Are you serious I live in the Pacific Northwest Southwest Washington it rains her almost everyday. With over 1020+ consecutive days with a find I'm starting to get webbed feet.

In this area if you didn't cache in the rain you wouldn't be caching.

SS

I think I would prefer to allow an honest unsigned logsheet find on my cache over the option of getting the logbook and contents of the cache soaked.

Just have to dress properly and be careful not to get the log wet it's not a problem.

Scubasonic

I agree, that would be ideal, but not everyone does. Heck, I was out last Sunday afternoon and while it was sunny when I started, it suddenly got cloudy and we got a good downpour. I wasnt dressed for it for sure.

Just have to dress properly and be careful not to get the log wet it's not a problem.

Scubasonic

I agree, that would be ideal, but not everyone does. Heck, I was out last Sunday afternoon and while it was sunny when I started, it suddenly got cloudy and we got a good downpour. I wasnt dressed for it for sure.

It happens. just have a well stocked GEO First Aid kit, spare clothes included

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

I was totally unprepared, ducked out from Easter dinner at Grandma's to try to grab a new one in a park across the street. I was dressed for dinner, not crawling under pine trees :)

And then, in addition to getting soaked, I DNF'd it anyway once the lightning started. Oh, and I left the sunroof open in the car, since it had started out sunny. :(

Otherwise, I don't mind a little rain when caching.

Just went caching in the rain today! Here, it rains all the time so we can't just stay inside on rainy days. Unless it's pouring we go out, dressed appropriately of course. Caching in the forest is good because at least then there's some shelter.

We make sure to be careful not to get the cache contents wet. One time it was pouring and I didn't sign and I'm sure the CO was glad I didn't.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I really dislike getting soaked to the skin, but with a rain parka on, it's fine - I keep one in the car now. I've signed lots of logbooks underneath the rain parka.

I especially like rain caching in places that would otherwise be overrun with muggles - I generally have the place to myself in the rain. Sort of like Disneyland in the rain (no lines = good times). :D

Scubasonic

I carry a compact umbrella (closed it's about 8" long) that I can pop up to sign the log in rain. I've tried hats and jackets but they tend to drip on the log as I bend over to 'cover' the log.

You just have to realize that it's harder to think about caching in the rain, then it is to cache in the rain. When I'm out on the trail and it starts raining, I put on my rain coat and keep going. But when I'm sitting at home, in a nice warm, dry house looking out at the rain, it seems a lot harder to go out and cache.

Found any caches in Ankh Morpork yet? I'm sure you can get CMOT Dibbler to sell you some smilies.

I cached in heavy rain in Tokyo a couple of years back. Wind was so strong, I broke two umbrellas. Probably wouldn't have gone out if it wasn't my last day there.

I was totally unprepared, ducked out from Easter dinner at Grandma's to try to grab a new one in a park across the street. I was dressed for dinner, not crawling under pine trees :)

And then, in addition to getting soaked, I DNF'd it anyway once the lightning started. Oh, and I left the sunroof open in the car, since it had started out sunny. :(

Re the sunroof. Never been so happy spending £15 on my car. Was the remote locking adapter for full autoclosure. Worked already when locking by key but the adapter allowed the lock button to be pressed twice causing everything to close.

As for caching in the rain.. this is Scotland. If water isnt falling from the sky, its rising from the ground (doesnt help being seaside either where it sometimes just rolls in on the wind). I have found a few mouldy caches in the past but these have always been in very damp wet hides in poor containers in the first place.

A bit of common sense goes a long way. I always try to be in a sheltered place or use myself to shelter a cache before opening.

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

WOW that's something been in similar situations not quite tht bad but I have soiled many dress clothes along the way.

Scubasonic

Living in the Willamette Valley, you will never be caching in the fall, winter,or spring if you hate rain. One thing nice about caching in the rain is that a very popular park will be muggle free. :)

I carry a rain coat with rain pants along with a pair of barn boots. Never know when you need it.

Good news, its raining right now but will be caching tomorrow, rain or shine! It isnt going to stop me.

Found any caches in Ankh Morpork yet? I'm sure you can get CMOT Dibbler to sell you some smilies.

I cached in heavy rain in Tokyo a couple of years back. Wind was so strong, I broke two umbrellas. Probably wouldn't have gone out if it wasn't my last day there.

I hiked Teague Hill with an umbrella, a couple months back - found about 14 caches in the rain. Was quite interesting experience. Umbrellas are clumsy, especially when you have your hiking staff in the other hand and trying to balance GPSr somewhere between the two.

I hiked Teague Hill with an umbrella, a couple months back - found about 14 caches in the rain. Was quite interesting experience. Umbrellas are clumsy, especially when you have your hiking staff in the other hand and trying to balance GPSr somewhere between the two.

For some reason, that brings to mind some crazy contraption that fuses a hiking stick to an umbrella, with special arms to hold a flashlight and GPSr.

I'm sure the Lancrastian Army Knife can do it.