GSAK\Nuvi\Windows 7 compatibility

yoopers

I purchased a new lap top that is running Windows 7. I have spent hours and hours trying to load GSAK, the macro to load waypoints into a nuvi and the Garmin POILoader. I can't get a PQ to my Nuvi in any way shape or form. I have followed pilotsnipes guide for paperless caching religiously many times with the same results. I get an error message that says the directory path I have chosen does not exist and I should enter the correct path to the directory. I have a desk top running Window XP and runs everything just fine. I even cut and pasted any file names required to my lap top to eliminate any possible typo errors. I am not sure I am if I am having a problem with the macro or the POI Loader. Is there a compatibility problem with GSAK, the macro or the Garmin POI Loader ? If so what is the quick fix ? I'm running out of aspirin.

I believe the path used by XP is totally different than the one used by Win7. Not sure what you are doing when the error message pops up, but it sounds like a file that GSAK needs isn't where you said it was during the setup of GSAK. Win7 puts the macros folder for GSAK in an entirely different location than XP did. Do a search for a specific GSAK macro by name and see which directory it is located in.

For my GSAK installation on a 64-bit version of Win7, my GSAK macros are located here:

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\gsak\Macros

Edited by Hawaiian Ninja

Yes, the pilotsnipes macro tutorial is waaaay out of date for Win7. See the path recommended by Hawiian Ninja. And gsak's data folder should be in that path. Also pilotsnipe's macro is pretty crusty around the edges. A more up to date macro is the one by jjreds, but that is getting a bit crusty since he has stopped development an you might have problems with some of the newer Nuvi's.

Generally the GSAK executables should be installed in C:\Program files(x86), the application data in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\gsak and the data folders in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\gsak\data\. Anything else is pure madness.

It also helps to have the screen shot of the error message, and it is even a better idea to ask your questions over on the GSAK board. The experts are over there and there are a lot of helpful FAQ's and the like over there.

Oh yes, there are no compatibility issues between Win7, the macro and the nuvi's.

Edited by jholly

Is it saying it can't find the Nuvi location, or the location of the macros? If it is the Nuvi can you see it in Computer to click on? If it is the macro files it should know where they are by default. I would uninstall/reinstall GSAK if this is the case.

Without understanding what the problem really is, the unistall/reinstall step is probably an exercise in futility.

Thanks for all the help. It took a bit cuz I'm not that good at playing with files etc. but finally got everything were it belongs and it it seems to work fine. I was not aware of the ability to load a file to a Nuvi directly from GSAK. Will check into that. Many thanks to all for the help.