Wherigo compatible phone wanted

Ah yes!

I've had a go at creating some Wherigo cartridges, but my Oregon 550t seems limited when compared to other devices that are spoken about. I've read most of the comments made regarding pros and cons of this and that, but do need some advice on my next purchase.

This is brought on by my need for a new mobile phone which I would like to be able to use for reliable Wherigo creation/playing of cartridges. Also paperless caching of course, which I can already do with the Oregon.

One suggestion is HTC Wildfire, but reviews don't seem to mention details related to Wherigo/geocaching.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm based in the UK.

You have one of the best Garmin caching GPS's available - surprised to hear you describe it as limited lol!

For phones, you can use almost any smart phone including the HTC Wildfire but you will need to download and install the relevant app.

Some of these apps are....

Android - WhereYouGo

iphone - PiGo

Blackberry - Openwig

No idea about Windows phone

I also can't comment on how good any of these apps are as I use my Oregon for wherigos.

Edited by *mouse*

I've had a go at creating some Wherigo cartridges, but my Oregon 550t seems limited when compared to other devices that are spoken about. I've read most of the comments made regarding pros and cons of this and that, but do need some advice on my next purchase.

This is brought on by my need for a new mobile phone which I would like to be able to use for reliable Wherigo creation/playing of cartridges. Also paperless caching of course, which I can already do with the Oregon.

One suggestion is HTC Wildfire, but reviews don't seem to mention details related to Wherigo/geocaching.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm based in the UK.

550 is limited? good luck finding a cell phone that is actually better lol

From what I've heard, WhereYouGo on the Android platform is the most solid and complete Wherigo application by some way. (It's based on OpenWiG which is also very reliable, but is anyone seriously buying BlackBerry devices these days?) My wife has an HTC Wildfire, but I only got as far as downloading WhereYouGo - she won't let me walk around with the phone in my hand outside the house. I'll have to wait until she gets a couple of dents in it, I suppose. :ph34r:

Many WinPhone7 phones apparently work with the original Groundspeak player, but I don't know how many hoops you have to jump through. There are some posts about this setup in the Wherigo forums.

PiGo is the newcomer and still not yet fully debugged, but the author is active. My concern here would be the stories one hears about GPS accuracy on the iPhone, but again that seems to be improving.

Edited by sTeamTraen

I've got an old HTC TyTN II with Windoze Mobile 6.5 on it and a Wherigo player that seems to work OK. Shame the GPS on the phone is so poor, but with a Bluetooth dongle that can be overcome.

I don't have anything to compare it to - the last time I went out with a caching buddy to do a Wherigo (the only time we hunted a Wherigo) his Android player decided to stop playing completely when he took a call shortly after opening the cartridge.

When creating a Wherigo cartridge I'd advise making it work on Oregons

They're the platform that's least likely to change.

True, you can't have all the sounds and stuff you can on the Pocket PC version but I always find less is best!

There are probably more cachers with Oregons than any other single type of Wherigo compatible device...

Mark

Edited by Delta68

We've been working on creating some Wherigo's and can't play them on our Magellan Gps'rs. We have played them on our droid global's, and this last weekend we tried a Wherigo in spokane, washington...everything worked fine and we completed the cartridge. Only one issue, we can't download the saved cartridge to log it completed on the actual Wherigo site. And the completion code that showed up on the phone won't access the cartridge either. So in our opinion the droid global is a good phone for caching, the "cgeo" app will allow you to geocache and do it paperless. Of course the phones gps isn't very accurate under tree cover and you lose signal in the higher hills.

Hope this was helpful.

steve & renee

Can anyone tell me how to get WhereYouGo on the android? Can't find it in the market if I look via phone, can see it on computer but if I use the QR download code it says it can't find WhereYouGo app

Would like to at least have a look see at these and stuck at the first hurdle!!!

I'm having the same problem. No joy with Market, AppBrain or scanning the barcode on the website.

Him indoors just tried with his work phone which has a newer version of Android and he accessed it right way. So although the app says WhereYouGo is available for all versions of android, I'm speculating that's not actually true.

Do you know what version of android you're running?

Edit:typos

Edited by *mouse*

All seems very hit and miss to me. I did a Wherigo yesterday (not logged yet) where the Oregon 450 crashed several times right at the start so I opted to go round on the PDA which was fine. On another recent one both were OK to start with but the PDA got 'confused' near the end and hadn't a clue where it was. I have WhereYouGo downloaded on my HTC Wildfire but haven't tried it out yet - not enough hands!!!

I have WhereYouGo downloaded on my HTC Wildfire but haven't tried it out yet - not enough hands!!!

Feeble excuse - you're clearly not trying hard enough. PDA in your left hand, wildfire in your right and dangle your oregon caribiner off your big toe while you hop the whole route :lol: :lol: :lol::P

I have WhereYouGo downloaded on my HTC Wildfire but haven't tried it out yet - not enough hands!!!

Feeble excuse - you're clearly not trying hard enough. PDA in your left hand, wildfire in your right and dangle your oregon caribiner off your big toe while you hop the whole route :lol: :lol: :lol::P

Not sure the brain could cope with watching that lot :laughing:

Cheers mouse that makes me feel better - it's 1.6 but, although I can't find it tonight, the page did say that the app would work with that version

Hmm Maybe look to upgrading that then before trying WhereYouGo - will that bugger up my faithful geobeagle tho?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good to hear it's not just me though!

On a non-technical note, if you want to write Wherigos you need to be thick-skinned. When people like them, they like them a lot (our four have all got Favorite points on them)

However, if for some reason cachers can't find the cache they are the worse thing in the world and YOU are responsible for ruining their lives!! :blink: (Or so it seems by reading the DNFs) :)

Mark

Cheers mouse that makes me feel better - it's 1.6 but, although I can't find it tonight, the page did say that the app would work with that version

Hmm Maybe look to upgrading that then before trying WhereYouGo - will that bugger up my faithful geobeagle tho?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep same as me- 1.6.

Thinking about it more sensibly this morning though, the problem could be because I have a QVGA screen. Is your phone also QVGA? The QVGA screen meant it was ages before I could get the official GSK geocaching app as it wasn't supported. I wonder if WhereYouGo is the same?

Yep same as me- 1.6.

Thinking about it more sensibly this morning though, the problem could be because I have a QVGA screen. Is your phone also QVGA? The QVGA screen meant it was ages before I could get the official GSK geocaching app as it wasn't supported. I wonder if WhereYouGo is the same?

The Android market seems to be pretty sophisticated (which may not mean the same as "accurate") in terms of its ability to determine compatibility between devices and apps. It could be something other than an OS version issue which is causing the app not to be available.

WhereYouGo has its own thread here. I don't know about the author of the Android version, but Matejcik, the author of the base code (OpenWiG) is very reactive and will probably be able to help you with any questions you might have in there. (The Wherigo community is not big enough to allow you to find all the answers in a single country forum.)

Edited by sTeamTraen

Thanks everyone for all you contributions.

I'm still trying to work out which unit to buy and am likely to end up with something which again doesn't tick all the boxes.

My doubts about the Oregon started when I tried to play the cartridge "Memories of Kidderminster" about a year ago. The description on the Wherigo website said, at the time, (I haven't checked since), that the Oregon had a bug after the first few zones. We were on holiday near Kidderminster, so decided to try the cartridge. Sure enough, on the approach to Zone 4? the Oregon just shut down - blank screen....big disappointment.

Since then, when trying to create a cartridge, I've read snippets of advice from here and there, saying this or that "doesn't work with the Oregon". It leaves me just keeping everything very simple and being afraid to push-my-luck with more adventurous ventures.

I know virtually nothing about PDAs but they seem to work ok with Wherigo. No doubt they have problems as well. Is it going to be an Oregon in one hand and a PDA in the other??

:( Decisions, decisions!!!! <_<

Edited by Ah yes!