Does the hint effect the caches difficulty rating?

d+n.s

I should probably know this, but I don't. I did some searches and read the "hints" entry in the knowledge books.

Do hints effect the difficulty of a cache?

What if its a puzzle hint?

By reading the hint you may have found the cache easier than others, but you still get the same D/T stats.

Once I found a cache sitting out in plain sight. Did I claim a found it? Heck yeah! I can't do much about the difficultly stat of someone elses cache listing.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't think so - in that the hint is encrypted and is totally optional for anybody to look at it.

Interesting, so in theory if someone (I promise this is purely hypothetical) made a truly 5d puzzle and put a dead giveaway hint it would still be a d5 puzzle?

I've never been sure. It ,makes complete sense, but still surprises me.

I should probably know this, but I don't. I did some searches and read the "hints" entry in the knowledge books.

Looks like you're going to get opinions on both sides.

Mine is that including a hint *does* impact that rated difficulty of a cache. Yes, one can choose to search for the cache without encrypting the hint, but you can also choose to search for the cache with your eyes closed.

When determining a difficulty rating on a puzzle cache pretty much every instance I've seen factors the difficulty of the puzzle into the rating, thus a puzzle hint would have the same impact as a hint about how the container is hidden.

Just to consider the other side of the coin, would a misleading hint increase the difficulty rating?

For example, if the encrypted hint is "ankle high" for a cache that is 8' up a tree, then should the difficulty rating be increased because seekers who read the hint will be searching the wrong area?

Looks like you're going to get opinions on both sides.

Mine is that including a hint *does* impact that rated difficulty of a cache. Yes, one can choose to search for the cache without encrypting the hint, but you can also choose to search for the cache with your eyes closed.

When determining a difficulty rating on a puzzle cache pretty much every instance I've seen factors the difficulty of the puzzle into the rating, thus a puzzle hint would have the same impact as a hint about how the container is hidden.

Do you limit that opinion only to Puzzle caches or other types as well?? (just curious)... :unsure:

Just to consider the other side of the coin, would a misleading hint increase the difficulty rating?

For example, if the encrypted hint is "ankle high" for a cache that is 8' up a tree, then should the difficulty rating be increased because seekers who read the hint will be searching the wrong area?

I would say thats just a bad hint. I personally, don't think a hint should be misleading in the first place.

I would say thats just a bad hint. I personally, don't think a hint should be misleading in the first place.
Granted, it's a bad hint. But that isn't the point. The point is, should information in the hint change the difficulty rating? So far this thread has focused on hints that make the search easier, but I think it's important to consider hints that make it more difficult too.

So how about a hint that isn't incorrect, but which still leads many seekers to search in the wrong place. One example might be "magnetic", which could lead many seekers to examine the nearby metal structures, but which the CO may have intended to mean that the cache itself is magnetic and could be found with a magnet on a string. But if an incorrect interpretation of the hint leads people to search the wrong location, does the hint effectively raise the difficulty?

I think the difficulty rating should reflect how difficult it would be without a hint. I consider the hint a bonus. I do appreciate it when the hint keeps us away from eco-sensitive areas. I don't like a misleading hint such as the "ankle high" 8' up a tree.

I would rather have no hint at all, than one that is a misleading.

I think the difficulty rating should reflect how difficult it would be without a hint. I consider the hint a bonus. I do appreciate it when the hint keeps us away from eco-sensitive areas. I don't like a misleading hint such as the "ankle high" 8' up a tree.

I agree, except that I think that information about eco-sensitive areas should be in plaintext in the description, rather than being encrypted in the hint.

I agree, except that I think that information about eco-sensitive areas should be in plaintext in the description, rather than being encrypted in the hint.

Good point niraD.