How does Australia get a much-needed third reviewer?

Happy Chappies

Hi,

This is an issue which was initially raisedin the feedback section of the site and was denied with the response from Jeremy that "The feedback section is for feature requests on the web site, not for policy or procedure changes. Feel free to discuss this in our online forums. Thanks!"

I haven't seen a thread here on this so thought I might start one, being unaware of how else we can get this issue addresssed.

For quite some time now Australia has been in need of a third reviewer to help with the clean up of caches. Our two current reviewers are excellent however the rapid growth in geocaching in Australia (which is great!) means that it's harder and harder for them to take part in the process of alerting cache owners when they are neglecting needs maintenance requests, or to archive caches which have been well and truly abandoned.

As such there are a significant number of caches which are in poor condition and receive no maintenance from the cache owner. Just recently I've had a friend begin geocaching in our local area and I worry as there are a large number of these sorts of caches - And it's a bad introduction to a new cacher to find caches with broken containers, sodden logbooks, etc. That bothers me as it means that they will probably not want to continue geocaching and find the other excellent caches that are out there, and that when they place new caches the standard may be low and they will not appreciate the need for maintenance.

It seems that a lot of cache owners are not appreciating the need for ongoing maintenance when placing a cache, and the current situation where unmaintained caches can go for long periods without any reviewer action is probably contributing to this. I think it is also contributing to other geocachers not bothering to use the 'needs archived' log because they don't believe any action will be taken for a long period of time.

So - Given that a third reviewer (focused on archiving and encouraging maintenance) can only be a good thing for geocaching in Australia, what needs to be done to help make this happen?

Thanks

Eddie (Happy Chappies)

Edited by Happy Chappies

I think it's generally up to the current reviewers to decide that they could do with another reviewer to help with their work load.

Then they get together around a crystal orb or, alternatively, a shimmering bowl of magical water and commune to seek divine inspiration and guidance as to suitable candidates for investiture. After much chanting and telepathic vibes being exchanged between them and Frog Central eventually a new reviewer is born. (I'm a bit hazy on the exact details, but that's basically how I understand it.)

It sounds as though Mr theUMP is already well into the incantations required.

MrsB ;)

Watch this space! Wheels are in motion and we should have an introduction to make soon(ish!)

Fantastic! That's prompt service, your Umpness, Sir.....

(Of course I appreciate you guys have probably been behind the scenes at work on this for a while - many thanks)

Look forward to the news - And now to quickly run around do maintenance on my own caches so I don't fall victim myself!

I think it's generally up to the current reviewers to decide that they could do with another reviewer to help with their work load.

Then they get together around a crystal orb or, alternatively, a shimmering bowl of magical water and commune to seek divine inspiration and guidance as to suitable candidates for investiture. After much chanting and telepathic vibes being exchanged between them and Frog Central eventually a new reviewer is born. (I'm a bit hazy on the exact details, but that's basically how I understand it.)

It sounds as though Mr theUMP is already well into the incantations required.

MrsB ;)

Sounds like you might have been in the snug bar when the UK reviewers got together then, Mrs B! Not heard of a pub called Frog Central...Is that in London?