May 4th, 2011: Major update is "hopefully planned"

CacheDrone

Hello all,

Some of you may have seen this on various social media sites or other places in these forums already.

On May 4th Groundspeak is hoping to bring some new server thing-a-jig online and that will likely result in the entire site being down for more than 4 hours. I don't know when or for how long or what it means for the end user. All I can say is that there will be significant down time. And of course the smartphone apps will be useless during that time too for instant data. If it isn't cached, it ain't gonna get to you.

For the obsessed active cacher that desperately needs fresh PQ's, get them on May 3rd. Expect heavier volumes on both the 3rd and for a while after the update/upgrade.

Best way to weather this day is to simply go out and do some impromptu maintenance on your own caches, go place some new ones or go out for some new adventures. Pick a new area and see how people hide caches in other regions. Whatever you do, do it out in the world away from the computer.

:cool: CD

Hello all,

Some of you may have seen this on various social media sites or other places in these forums already.

On May 4th Groundspeak is hoping to bring some new server thing-a-jig online and that will likely result in the entire site being down for more than 4 hours. I don't know when or for how long or what it means for the end user. All I can say is that there will be significant down time. And of course the smartphone apps will be useless during that time too for instant data. If it isn't cached, it ain't gonna get to you.

For the obsessed active cacher that desperately needs fresh PQ's, get them on May 3rd. Expect heavier volumes on both the 3rd and for a while after the update/upgrade.

Best way to weather this day is to simply go out and do some impromptu maintenance on your own caches, go place some new ones or go out for some new adventures. Pick a new area and see how people hide caches in other regions. Whatever you do, do it out in the world away from the computer.

:cool: CD

Thanks for the heads up! :)

You can't fool me CD! They're shutting down everything so they can get the entire office out for some late spring snowboarding. That's something Jeremy would do :laughing: .

nothing wrong with that, but the site better be flying when its back online cause this last week or so its been an absolute PITA to even log a find, let alone run a PQ or look at the map

today seems to be the worse day

Edited by t4e

Well I hope we get back the ability to "Personalize" the map! ( Hide your finds and hides and just map the kind of caches you want.)

I use that feature a lot for drives and route planning so it is a bother that it has been unavailable for awhile. The "new" map does not yet seem to allow specific selections.

Thanks for the heads up!