Other geocaching sites

Although I find geocaching.com to be a very well put together and managed site, are there other reputable sites that host cache hides?

I found a list of other sites but they do not seem to have the popularity of geocaching.com.

I find no problems with geocaching.com and I am very happy with all the info it has to offer.

I have visited some of these listed sited but unfortunately there are only a couple hides within a 20 mile radius of my home whereas geocaching.com has multiple. One even 1/2 block from my house.

Why bother to ask you may think? Just wondering, thats all. Exploring my options for this awesome hobby.

Thanks

Edited by neohiocacher

I ventured over to another site when it first came out a few months ago but was put off by what I considered at the time to be a beta-level, not-yet-ready-for-primetime-website. First impressions can mean a lot and the one I was left with was very weak. While the GS site has room to improve, I'm content with the fact that TPTB are trying to improve it.

unfortunately there are only a couple hides within a 20 mile radius of my home whereas geocaching.com has multiple.

There would have only been a couple here at one time as well.

Some of the alternate sites have listings that don't appear here and that just means more caches to find.

Never used it.

Direct competitor of Groundspeak- probably going to lock this thread.

Not very common.

6 caches within 50 miles of home vs +1,000 caches within 50 mils of home.

Naw, we were talking about Opencaching.com and Opencaching.us like crazy last week, and nothing happened to me. :lol:

Terracaching.com? Started in very late 2004, original owner didn't have time for it, almost went dark 1/1/11, but was rescued at the last minute. They had every intention of going dark with Opencaching.us and opencaching.com coming online in the three months prior, but had many offers from people who wanted to continue, and took one of them.

Me, I had actually pretty much given up on it a couple of years before then. Major selling point I suppose, would be the 1,000 or so locationless caches, including I'm sure every single one that was listed here previously (this site only had about 350 of them before the moratorium).

I merged together two threads started by the OP about other listing sites. The OP is cautioned against starting further threads of this nature while several are already active. We'd like for the front page of the Geocaching Topics forum to be about Geocaching.com, not its competitors. One thread on other sites generally, and one on the issue of cross listing, are now active. So long as these threads aren't used to promote the other listing sites, that should be fine, and that should be enough. Thanks.

I merged together two threads started by the OP about other listing sites. The OP is cautioned against starting further threads of this nature while several are already active. We'd like for the front page of the Geocaching Topics forum to be about Geocaching.com, not its competitors. One thread on other sites generally, and one on the issue of cross listing, are now active. So long as these threads aren't used to promote the other listing sites, that should be fine, and that should be enough. Thanks.

Thanks, Keystone! I predict a quick drop-off of the first page anyway though. But I've been shown to be wrong before. :blink:

Never used it.

Not very common.

They don't seem to be locking these threads anymore unless they are trying to get people to use the other sites. I applaud that. If memory serves me right, Groundspeak used to be too touchy about even mentioning any site that was even remotely competitive.

Never used it.

Not very common.

They don't seem to be locking these threads anymore unless they are trying to get people to use the other sites. I applaud that. If memory serves me right, Groundspeak used to be too touchy about even mentioning any site that was even remotely competitive.

I think the term your searching for is whack-a-mole. It seems the game plan now is to keep it contained to one thread.

Never used it.

Not very common.

True story. The word "Navicache" used to be taboo in these forums, and was auto-edited out of posts. It was right around the time I joined though, and I think this was mainly due to the agravating antics of long-since banned Upinyachit. :D

Never used it.

Not very common.

True story. The word "Navicache" used to be taboo in these forums, and was auto-edited out of posts. It was right around the time I joined though, and I think this was mainly due to the agravating antics of long-since banned Upinyachit. :D

I think it was insecurity. GC.com wasn't quite the 800lb. gorilla it is today then. Navicrap was auto correcting before Duane came on the scene. BTW- Duane goes by Bronkoholics now. Haven't seen him around in years though. :rolleyes:

Me, I had actually pretty much given up on it a couple of years before then. Major selling point I suppose, would be the 1,000 or so locationless caches, including I'm sure every single one that was listed here previously (this site only had about 350 of them before the moratorium).

That's a bit of a irritant to me about this website. Before I continue, let me say that I consider Groundspeak in the highest personal regard and many of the Lackeys and Volunteers are good friends of mine, but this is my opinion and I'm going to share it...

I truly believe that Groundspeak is too busy admiring itself in the mirror and fostering it's mutual admiration society with its otherwise compensated, but unsalaried volunteers to see that LC's are a common theme with other viable cache listing services and mayyybe they should be reintroduced here. :rolleyes:

I noticed on Linkedin this week that Groundspeak is #3 of the top 10 best places to work in Seattle. Yay for them. That is extremely cool. I was and am very impressed with their operation when I visited the Lilypad during the week of GW8. They've really GOT what it takes to take this activity/community on for the long haul. I'd love to work there when I retire in 16 years or so. I am confident that they will still be going strong if the founders don't sell out for bazillions of dollars.

However, they are missing the mark by not providing ALL the caching options that this community desires, but hey they don't have to do they. :unsure: The current competition will most probably NEVER catch up so they have lots of time to look in the mirror and admire. If we could just get a yellow sticky on that mirror reminding them that the worth of this site and all its perks are in no small amount thanks to the hiders and event hosts who further the the site's backbone/database of listings. :mellow:

Edited by Snoogans

That's a bit of a irritant to me about this website. Before I continue, let me say that I consider Groundspeak in the highest personal regard and many of the Lackeys and Volunteers are good friends of mine, but this is my opinion and I'm going to share it...

I truly believe that Groundspeak is too busy admiring itself in the mirror and fostering it's mutual admiration society with its otherwise compensated, but unsalaried volunteers to see that LC's are a common theme with other viable cache listing services and mayyybe they should be reintroduced here. :rolleyes:

I noticed on Linkedin this week that Groundspeak is #3 of the top 10 best places to work in Seattle. Yay for them. That is extremely cool. I was and am very impressed with their operation when I visited the Lilypad during the week of GW8. They've really GOT what it takes to take this activity/community on for the long haul. I'd love to work there when I retire in 16 years or so. I am confident that they will still be going strong if the founders don't sell out bazillions of dollars.

However, they are missing the mark by not providing ALL the caching options that this community desires, but hey they don't have to do they. :unsure: The current competition will most probably NEVER catch up so they have lots of time to look in the mirror and admire. If we could just get a yellow sticky on that mirror reminding them that the worth of this site and all its perks are in no small amount thanks to the hiders and event hosts who further the the site's backbone/database of listings. :mellow:

+100

I truly believe that Groundspeak is too busy admiring itself in the mirror and fostering it's mutual admiration society with its otherwise compensated, but unsalaried volunteers.

I use another listing service also, but even with all the imported listings from this site I don't ever expect the other site to catch up. But the other site does seem to address it's members concerns and wants quicker, and the site is still beta. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts or comments on TerraCaching.com?

Thanks

have gone for a few caches on their site. They bill themselves are more outdoorsy and quality caches, but I found the site harder to use. I also found it very difficult to log caches. Each cache has a very long code that you have to write down and if you mess up a single number, you cant log it. The few COs we interacted with were very strict about them and seemed to view folks trying to log caches as Russian spies and thought that folks must be cheating if they did not know the code 100.0% correctly on their own. Also the site was very hard to upload pictures on. This is based on feedback my 2 friends had trying to log their finds that we did that day. Once I heard about their experience, I said forget it.

I did accidentally find an archived terracache once, about 25 feet away from a regular geocache. Have found 3 on purpose, 1 on accident.

Will stick with this site. Sure folks do bogus logs, but a security code would not stop that, it just makes it harder for the honest folks to log them.

Edited by lamoracke

Never used it.

Not very common.

There are no sites that are remotely competitive with GC.Com.

Thanks

To quote Mr. Kolenkhov in Frank Capra's great film You Can't Take it With You, "It stiiinks".

Seriously, I listed a couple of caches there. One was voted down and delisted even though not one person found it. Another has had maybe 3 finds in about 5 years.

The site is difficult to negotiate, has few features, doesn't have very many caches listed and the claim that it only lists high quality caches is nonsense. In this area at least the few people who hide them basically piggyback them onto GC.com caches, hiding them sometimes within 20 feet of one.

I finally got fed up with the sponsorship silliness. You lose a sponsor you have to find another or you won't be able to use the site. After going through that several times I said the heck with it.

Edited by briansnat

Very well said Snoogans.

I generally agree. I do not use the other sites (I would be pretty bored if I did), but if I had more time to add yet another gps game to my activities (apart from geocaching.com and ispy on the iphone), I would consider terracaching for the locationless caches. I enjoyed them when they were part of this site and I would have kept a limited number of them in this game (it might even have encouraged people to waymark).

But even if I do not use them, I am glad the other sites are out there. Garmin did succeed in putting virtuals on their site before Groundspeak could get their new version implemented (whatever that proves to be), and there are some things that I think Groundspeak could learn from them. Navicache, the original opencaching sites, and the Australian site are sometimes interesting to look at.

On the other hand, it could be argued that Groundspeak has tried to do too much. Wherigos offer a very creative addition to this game, but have been kept on the back burner since being announced. Who knows what they will do with Whibbit (other than release the app). Waymarking is . . . Waymarking and never got my attention. Did anybody ever try the Mighty Egg Hunt game before that disappeared?

Edited by mulvaney

I'm way to new also but when you're #1, there is only one place to go. Down. I like this place and all but I'm willing to bet, sooner or later, they'll sell out and it'll go down. Then the people in position to take on the job will step forward and fulfill the prophesy.... :rolleyes:

From what I saw, the're digging in for the long haul and that made me very happy. The only way any down turn could be measurable at this point is if their internal employee benefit plans (which are quite good according to the Linkedin article) change for the worse or another database of caches rivals their own which ain't bloody likely (any time soon if ever) at this point. The bad part of that is that is dulls the sense of urgency to keep up with user demand since this is the biggest and mostly user friendly sandbox to play in if you want to find hidden crap or meet and discuss hidden crap with others in your free time.

I really think that the founders care enough about this community and their employees that if they DO sell out, it will be for the mutual good of all concerned. Hey, I'm an optimist. :)

But even if I do not use them, I am glad the other sites are out there. Garmin did succeed in putting virtuals on their site before Groundspeak could get their new version implemented (whatever that proves to be), and there are some things that I think Groundspeak could learn from them. Navicache, the original opencaching sites, and the Australian site are sometimes interesting to look at.

I have used the other sites.

I agree competition is a good thing, but really, other than the fact that the competition are cache listing services, we might as well compare a box of 64 Crayons to the Sears Tower in Chicago.

Effectively there IS NO competition if you compare databases and their relative growth.

On the other hand, it could be argued that Groundspeak has tried to do too much. Wherigos offer a very creative addition to this game, but have been kept on the back burner since being announced. Who knows what they will do with Whibbit (other than release the app). Waymarking is . . . Waymarking and never got my attention.

I have done 4 Wherigo caches and I think I only bothered to log 2 of them. Exactly NONE that I have done blew my skirt up even slightly. Looking for a Benchmark is roughly 1000 times more exciting than my Wherigo experience. I actually quite like Benchmarks. I've been meaning to do some more. :rolleyes:

I thought Waymarking was a good idea in theory, but in practice it's a total snooze and the biggest turnoff was that I had to log in at a different site to play. WTH? Really? It captured my interest for less than a week. I'd still give it a whirl again if it were fused with my geocaching profile.

Did anybody ever try the Mighty Egg Hunt game before that disappeared?

I'll bite what's that?

Does anyone remember Scavenja? :unsure:

Thanks

Here's our experience...

After learning about terracaching we felt like we were missing out on something. So we signed up (waited for sponsorship) and found a couple. They were good caches, but after finding all-two-of-them there wasn't much to do except to hide one of our own.

So...

We hid two caches at the same time requiring backpacking up a STEEP mountain trail and an overnight campout (they were both night caches on top of a mountain).

Two caches: One was a geocache, the other a terracache and they published on the same day.

The geocache was found the day after it published and now has 14 finds.

The terracache went a year before it was finally found by a geocacher at our prompting. It wasn't found again until we decided to make it a geocache instead. Now it totals 3 finds all by geocachers... none by an exclusive terracacher (if there even is such as thing).

We certainly enjoy quality over quantity. But geocaching.com is tops at both.

I'm way to new also but when you're #1, there is only one place to go. Down. I like this place and all but I'm willing to bet, sooner or later, they'll sell out and it'll go down. Then the people in position to take on the job will step forward and fulfill the prophesy.... :rolleyes:

I agree. They will sell out, then outsource the help to Indonesia or Someotherstain. :lol:

Did anybody ever try the Mighty Egg Hunt game before that disappeared?

I'll bite what's that?

An iphone app that took you on a -- well, for want of a better word, an egg hunt.

I have done 4 Wherigo caches and I think I only bothered to log 2 of them. Exactly NONE that I have done blew my skirt up even slightly.

To me they were one of Groundspeak's best ideas, and one of the things that distances them from the "competition." I have done some great ones. And if you ever come out my way again and have time for a 7 mile hike, let me know and I will take you on one of mine in search of Bigfoot.

Edited by mulvaney

Never used it.

Not very common.

Thanks

I guess it doesn't make sense to me that we can talk about other listing sites but not talk about those p-things that ,at least to me, don't seem like a viable threat to geocoins.

Never used it.

Not very common.

Thanks

I guess it doesn't make sense to me that we can talk about other listing sites but not talk about those p-things that ,at least to me, don't seem like a viable threat to geocoins.

You got a point there. By the way, I guess my prediction that this thread would drop off the page quickly was wrong, eh? :lol:

I have tried, lamoracke.

I ran across them & didn't know what to do with them- so I asked. I ended up apologizing & the thread was stopped.

I looked into it- & I didn't find them particularly competitive. They were more of a sig swag item, more of a token, than a coin. They aren't tracked in the same sense- and Groundspeak does not sell them or an item severely similiar to them, and that site that does sell them sells nothing else that would be similiar to Groundspeak's products. Yet, I was told they were a competing product.

Which is fine, as far as that thread was concerned. I already had received the answers I needed at the time & was not interested in pursuing the subject because.. Well..why?

I know of them now, I have formed my own opinion of them, and if I would like to purchase them, fine. If not, fine. I just didn't see the point in stepping on toes or forcing my opinion out there. And I certainly don't intend this to be a toe-stomping reply, either, just saying what the picture looks like from where I stand...but I am curious as to the opinion of others.

Allrighty then, on topic. :anibad: For the 3rd consecutive month, Garmin has a full page Opencaching.com ad in Outside Magazine. This one is different from the first two though, it features Opie the Squirrel in Uncle Sam Garb. Would that be Uncle Opie, or Opie Sam?

The topic of this thread is "other geocaching listing sites." Please remain on-topic. Some of you may wish to have a conversation over in the Travel Bug forum or Geocoins forum.

The mascot on one of the other site's has their own thing that we are not to say here. This post is meant to be on topic about other geocaching sites, and not those other things.

have gone for a few caches on their site. They bill themselves are more outdoorsy and quality caches, but I found the site harder to use. I also found it very difficult to log caches. Each cache has a very long code that you have to write down and if you mess up a single number, you cant log it.

Really? You find a maximum of 6 characters a long code?

Not all caches have these and they don't have to be used, it's an option available to the cache owner.

I have used 3 of the 5 "Alternative sites" It was fun at first like a new toy. Unfortunately Navicache seems all but dead and unmaintained. Terracaching with all the web site issues and lack of an interested owner turned me away after a year or so. All I have done with the Garmin/Open.com site is observe the listings and forums. IMO its not much more than looking at a car wreck as you pass by wile driving. The other Opencaching sites are popular world wide (mostly in Europe) but have a very nice interface and easy to use. My experience with it has been very positive. As Briansnat said "There are no sites that are remotely competitive with GC.Com." That may be true but I dont really expect them to be either. I pay to play here and am very satisfied with what I get from this site.

I have used 3 of the 5 "Alternative sites" It was fun at first like a new toy. Unfortunately Navicache seems all but dead and unmaintained. Terracaching with all the web site issues and lack of an interested owner turned me away after a year or so. All I have done with the Garmin/Open.com site is observe the listings and forums. IMO its not much more than looking at a car wreck as you pass by wile driving. The other Opencaching sites are popular world wide (mostly in Europe) but have a very nice interface and easy to use. My experience with it has been very positive. As Briansnat said "There are no sites that are remotely competitive with GC.Com." That may be true but I dont really expect them to be either. I pay to play here and am very satisfied with what I get from this site.

Very nice post. By the way, how bad do the Sabres look losing to a team in 7 games that was promptly swept in the next round? :o

I will disagree with you and Snat on one thing though. If you live in Germany, opencaching.de has 50,000 listings. Unless your name is Alamogul, that's a lifetime of caching without ever using this site, if you so choose. :P

I noticed on Linkedin this week that Groundspeak is #3 of the top 10 best places to work in Seattle. Yay for them. That is extremely cool. I was and am very impressed with their operation when I visited the Lilypad during the week of GW8. They've really GOT what it takes to take this activity/community on for the long haul. I'd love to work there when I retire in 16 years or so. I am confident that they will still be going strong if the founders don't sell out for bazillions of dollars.

+1

I don't think I could have gotten away with saying that, but I have sensed a little of the "Look at me. Aren't I amazing?" with the corporation and some representatives. I enjoy the site but it appears that Groundspeak really likes Groundspeak.

Very nice post. By the way, how bad do the Sabres look losing to a team in 7 games that was promptly swept in the next round? :o

Your as hot as the goal keeper. I loved seeing Philly swept. Just as long as the Sharks or Canucks win the cup all will be OK :rolleyes:

BTW what the heck is that avatar you have? :huh:

Edited by sabrefan7

Your as hot as the goal keeper. I loved seeing Philly swept. Just as long as the Sharks or Canucks win the cup all will be OK :rolleyes:

There is a hot new Indie band from the UK named Yuck. I've been stealing their album/single covers. There's probably a copyright issue, but I'm sure as an Indie band, they like the publicity. Like right now, for example. :unsure:

There is a hot new Indie band from the UK named Yuck. I've been stealing their album/single covers. There's probably a copyright issue, but I'm sure as an Indie band, they like the publicity. Like right now, for example. :unsure:

Their songs kinda grow on you. Not to bad Have you seen the video for rubber? WOW :anibad:

Their songs kinda grow on you. Not to bad Have you seen the video for rubber? WOW :anibad:

Have not seen that video, but will check out shortly. I heard the drummer with the big afro is a Geocacher, and he's uploaded all his hides and finds to Opencaching.com. Not really, but I figure I'd better say something topical, even if I just made it up.

So is it safe to assume that some would want this thread about other geocaching sites locked so the stay off topic after being moderated? :unsure:

So what about users posting links to GC.com in their listings on one the other sites. I bet it would never happen on this site, a listing published with a link to a competive geocache listing service. :D

Never used it.

Not very common.

I think it was insecurity. GC.com wasn't quite the 800lb. gorilla it is today then. Navicrap was auto correcting before Duane came on the scene. BTW- Duane goes by Bronkoholics now. Haven't seen him around in years though. :rolleyes:

It's funny to me how so many years have past and UPINYACHIT and DUANE are still mentioned. Geocaching.com is the only way to go.......

PEACE :)

Never used it.

Not very common.

It's funny to me how so many years have past and UPINYACHIT and DUANE are still mentioned. Geocaching.com is the only way to go.......

PEACE :)

Well, he used to live close to my area (but later moved across the Country), and I found a couple of his caches, which have been long since adopted out. Otherwise, he'd be long forgotten. By me at least. :lol: Then again, I still remember Jamaroc5 and Track in the box.