Explorist GC or Dakota 10?

I had the same issue not to long ago. Sure the GC is cheaper but you get a nice touch screen on the Dakota. What tipped the scale for me where the maps. Sure the GC's base map is pretty good but not as good as many of the free maps you can upload to the Dakota. I have 2 other Garmin units so getting a third seemed like a good idea. Just yesterday i got my Dakota 10 in the mail. So far i love it. Beats the hell out of my eTrex Legend H and Nuvi 1300.

I would have to look at the explorist gc map to say for sure. Does it show topo lines, creeks, lakes, rivers? I do like the free and pay maps I can add to my oregon. The free ones are good enough for me and they will work fine on a dakota 10.It is routable but you can't put any real big map collection on it at one time. I would say dakota 10 at minimum for me or save up for the 20(lots more space for maps) or an oregon with a fat screen. If you buy a garmin let me know and I can tell you how to set the maps up.

I got the explorist. I am really new to geocaching and so I picked this model because it was cheapest and interfaced with the geocaching site. It is really nice for that. The only real issue I have is that if you stop moving, the GPS needs time to catch up after you get going. It almost always gets me within 3 feet of gz without a problem. It is easy to use. Someday I will upgrade models, but this little starter has been just fine for me.

And the maps do show roads, water etc. No topo though.

I own both the Dakota 10 and Magellan GC. The GC just sits in the desk.... The Dakota 10 is superior in every possible way from accuracy to ease of use. And Magellan hasn't even bothered to give us a firmware upgrade for the GC in many months now after promising it was going to be soon....

The majority of the reviews for the GC online write that the GC is slow, takes too long to return to menu, toggle button is glitchy, a non upgradable base map with only roads, ect. I would go with the Dakota 10. It's at a similar price in select stores and MUCH better, as ive been told.