How about a Long Island Legends Themed Cache Set?

Muslickz

I'm kinda new to the whole geocaching experience, as a matter of fact I only have 3 finds and those are without GPS. Well my eTrex Will be here this weekend and I'm raring to go. I am already an avid outdoorsman and I love to camp and hike. I live on Long Island, NY. Basically what I'm getting at is this. I have an Idea to do a set of Caches (3-5) on Long Island, based on Local legends and Haunted Places. A Few Include: Camp Hero, Sweet Hollow Rd, Mt. Misery, Lady of the Lake(lake Ronkonkoma), Red Owl Cache(Brentwood), Hanging tree(Patchogue). Each cache would be posted with it's corresponding legend. I figured you guy's would like to hear one so here is an example of what I'm talking about.

Hermitage of the Red Owl (Red Owl Cache)

by Muslickz [profile]

N 40° XX.XXX W 073° XX.XXX (XXXXX)

UTM: 18T E XXXXXX N XXXXXXX

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

also download nearest placenames.

Read about waypoint downloads.

In New York, United States [state map]

Hidden: 10/18/2002

Use waypoint: GC9D2A (what's this?)

Make this page print-friendly)

Note:To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

(ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

Difficulty: Terrain:

Located in Brentwood, NY.

In the late 1800’s, Brentwood was the site of a Utopian community called Modern Times. People within the commune had total freedom. The only taboo in the commune was that profit was forbidden. Any supplies and household goods were sold at cost.

During the winter of 1877, one of the members of the commune, a Charles Godman, found a red owl freezing to death in the woods. He took the bird to his cabin and the mysterious bird began to talk. The story goes that the large owl sat on the back of a chair and explained that it was the spirit of an Indian chief named Oriwos. Continuing his story, the owl told Godman that Mohawks had murdered him and that his spirit was doomed to wander the earth until his bones were found and buried. When the owl had finished his story, he abruptly vanished from sight.

Godman began searching for the bones of Oriwos and within a few days, found them. They were located in a ravine behind his cabin under a pine tree. The ravine is now a shopping center located between First and Second Avenues on Brentwood Road.

3 days after Godman had buried the bones of Oriwos where he had found them, the red owl reappeared to Godman and thanked him. Godman was so impressed by his experience that he painted a portrait of the owl, wrote a book about his experience, and named his cottage “Hermitage of the Red Owl”

This cache is close to where the original ravine was located, I suggest going at dawn or dusk when the red owl is said to fly about. Keep an eye out for more Long Island Legend Caches.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

I would put hints here..icon_smile.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I hope this give you the idea.. So what do you think. I realize I have to find spots close to the legendary ones and on LEGAL available land. or I must get permission. I can easily maintain any cache I place as well.

Please let me know if I should begin on my lil' Idea and what you guy's(and ladies) think.

closetdoor.jpg