Custom geocache icon set for Garmin Oregons, Dakotas and compatibles

dfx

I've always found some of the built-in cache icons hard to see, especially the "mystery cache" one... that dark blue question mark on the map has always been almost invisible to me. Plus, the "geocache found" icon was much more dominant than everything else. Since I couldn't find a better icon set anywhere on the net, I decided to make my own. It's based on the original icons from the unit, but adds a white square around them to make them more visible, and replaces the cache found icon with the familiar smiley. Here's a screenshot:

122zp.png

and here's the download link:

http://dfx.at/CustomSymbols.zip

It needs to be extracted into the \Garmin\ directory.

Those do not work on Oregon x00 series models.

Edited by dfx

I did notice on the Compass screen while its set up for Geocaching Nearest the icon obstructs the first letter in the cache name and the D/T a bit. But the better look far out weighs that little quirk. It only intrudes on them by a pixel or 2. Though the found icon on that view still shows the open chest. Guess it just the way the unit handles it.

I did notice on the Compass screen while its set up for Geocaching Nearest the icon obstructs the first letter in the cache name and the D/T a bit. But the better look far out weighs that little quirk. It only intrudes on them by a pixel or 2. Though the found icon on that view still shows the open chest. Guess it just the way the unit handles it.

Shows how much I use that dashboard, never would've occured to me to test the icons with that too :D

Those do not work on Oregon x00 series models.

Argh! Darn you, Garmin! Darn you to heck!

Someone did this once, and a mod shut it down quickly as, apparently, Groundspeak seems to own some sort of copyright on the images and he did not get permission. I'm not sure if this is the case here, or if Garmin owns the permission to the original images. I don't see a problem with this, but I'm not a lawyer.

In the Garmin folder on your unit you will see a folder labeled CustomSymbols. Unless you have placed something in this folder before it should be empty. From what i can tell as long as the symbol is no bigger then 20x20 pixels and is labeled the exact what a symbol on the unit is labeled the unit will allow the custom symbol to supersede the preset. You could easily customize any symbol in the unit. Looks like any part of the icon left in Pink will be translucent on the unit.

Edited by mpilchfamily

A caching friend just pointed me to this thread because I was looking for custom icons for my Dakota 10. Being a novice cacher I was a little hesitant, but downloaded the files right into the \Garmin\CustomSymbols folder and voila - worked like a charm. Thanks a ton. :D

I really like these custom icons, but I reluctantly decided to remove them some time back. I use the GSAK GarminExport.gsk macro to load caches into my Oregon 550t, and the macro allows me to load cache Attributes as POIs which show up on the map as teeny tiny icons surrounding the cache icon. The custom cache icons, with the white squares that make them stand out, cover up the Attribute POI symbols.

--Larry

The GPX generated from yesterday 06/11/2014 (PQ's and GPX downloaded directly from the cache page) changed the tag type for mystery caches.

The tag used to be: Unknown Cache

And in gpx generated from yesterday became: Mystery Cache

This custom icon stopped working.

Anyone can make a new one to replace this?

I already tried changing the name of the custom symbol file but not worked.

had also noticed that the symbols of the waypoints of multi caches had stopped working a while ago.

the symbol of "Stages of the Multicache" changed its name to "Physical Stage" and it worked well, the symbol appears again on the gps.

the symbol of "Question to Answer" changed the name to "Virtual Stage" and it worked well, the symbol appears again on the gps.

only the symbol of "Unknown Cache" changed the name to "Mystery Cache" and did not work, the GPS can not even start.