Tempe Arizona

lulusoy

Hi:

Im visiting Tempe Arizona by the mid of May for a University graduation and of course I want to do as much as possible caches. Problem is that I'm traveling with my husband and he is not a geocaching lover, so Im sure I will not be able to do as much as I wanted. I sorted by favorite the caches listed so I have an idea of caches that I must visit. However I die to have an experience with a power trail caches because we do not have these on PR. Any recommendations from local geocachers? I'm renting a car so I will have flexibility to move around.

Thanks

I am not an expert on Tempe, but my daughter will be attending ASU next year. We visited ASU recently and I was able to pick up six caches walking on campus in about 1.25 hours. If I have another hour I could have logged a half dozen more. The Valley has a light rail line with stations for ASU. Along the routr there are several caches. North of ASU and across the Salt River is Papago Park with a bunch more caches. You will need a car to get to Papago Park.

Hope this helps!

The west valley has a powertrail of a couple of hundred out on the Sun Valley Parkway. It is about an hour from Tempe but well worth the drive...you can jump out of your car and grab caches on either side of the road....very little traffic...only 1 curve to be careful of....look up Sun Valley Parkway and you will see that there are caches up both sides of the road and on some of the side roads....have fun!!

Any 'must do' recommendations for Sun Lakes/Chandler?

Chandler is on the East side of the Phoenix valley...I am a west-sider...for power caching, do the Sun Valley Parkway (it is worth the drive)....there are a few good Whereigoes if that interests you....

I don't know Sun Lakes....have fun and keep us posted!

@weewillie @kbfamily:

Im back and yes I survived Sun Valley. I did it, cant believe it but I did it.

Took us two days but we were able to complete the route. An experience totally new and different for me.

sunburned, solitary, well-drained, challenging but well worth it as @kbfamily said. Im still on the process of log in the caches. I have some dnfs but really appreciate the recommendation. I think now I have an idea of what the geocachers do when they complete Route 66 or those who made ET. UNBELIEVABLE!

the first day we started the route at about 11 am and about at 4 pm we knew we were not going to find anything to eat close to there so we looked for a place off the road to eat. when we returned we had only 1 hour of sunshine so I just made ​​several more. returned two days later and were able to complete the route, we had better provisions this time.

again thanks to both of you to replied this topic and if you decide to come to puerto rico anytime, do not hesitate to contact me.

@weewillie, our son made a PhD there so if you daughter needs any support you can contact me also. he does not live in Arizona any longer but im sure he can provide great support and recommendations.

@weewillie @kbfamily:

Im back and yes I survived Sun Valley. I did it, cant believe it but I did it.

Took us two days but we were able to complete the route. An experience totally new and different for me.

sunburned, solitary, well-drained, challenging but well worth it as @kbfamily said. Im still on the process of log in the caches. I have some dnfs but really appreciate the recommendation. I think now I have an idea of what the geocachers do when they complete Route 66 or those who made ET. UNBELIEVABLE!

the first day we started the route at about 11 am and about at 4 pm we knew we were not going to find anything to eat close to there so we looked for a place off the road to eat. when we returned we had only 1 hour of sunshine so I just made ​​several more. returned two days later and were able to complete the route, we had better provisions this time.

again thanks to both of you to replied this topic and if you decide to come to puerto rico anytime, do not hesitate to contact me.

@weewillie, our son made a PhD there so if you daughter needs any support you can contact me also. he does not live in Arizona any longer but im sure he can provide great support and recommendations.

I am smiling ear to ear!! I am SO glad that my advice led to some great days of caching for you! Smiling ear to ear!!