Unlucky or what ?

so in the last 15 days i have had three of my caches damaged or taken.

# 1. cache was in a tree, until the tree was pulled down the the cache got destroyed

# 2. a gardner came and destroyed the hiding spot and took the cache

# 3. arrived at Gz to find my beloved cache smashed int tiny piece. swaps thrown everywhere and logbook buried in dirt

so i was just wondering if this is bad luck, or does this happen to alot of other people ?

so in the last 15 days i have had three of my caches damaged or taken.

# 1. cache was in a tree, until the tree was pulled down the the cache got destroyed

# 2. a gardner came and destroyed the hiding spot and took the cache

# 3. arrived at Gz to find my beloved cache smashed int tiny piece. swaps thrown everywhere and logbook buried in dirt

so i was just wondering if this is bad luck, or does this happen to alot of other people ?

For #1, that just sounds like bad luck. I've seen it happen more than once.

For #2, that could be somewhat avoidable if you can make sure that those that are most likely to discover unintentionally know about the cache before you place it. Just obtaining permission to place a cache on property managed by others sometimes isn't enough.

For #3, that could simply be a case of the cache being muggled. That's somewhat avoidable by hiding the cache better or in a places where there are fewer muggles.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. **it happens.....

My husband and I have placed our first two caches. We must have spent a week or more just finding, placing, testing, the sites. But until you actually put the cache there, have it posted, and expose it to the geocachers & muggle activity, you really don't know what's gonna happen. By placing caches and trackables, you must accept the possibilities of them getting stolen or destroyed.

Don't give up. Consider those spots as *off limits* and move on to different hiding spots.

Good Luck!

#2 . it was the gardeners first day

That's always going to be an issue whenever a cache is placed on property managed by others. This isn't a permission issue but rather an awareness issue. Even if you obtain explicit permission from a park manager to place a cache in a park, there's always the possibility that the park manager is going to get replaced at some point and that not all workers on the property are informed of a caches existence.

and #3 was pretty well hidden

it looked like just a piece of tree on the ground then you flip it over. and it was in an odd spot for muggles to be

Not all muggles are human. I have a cache for which showed pretty compelling evidence that the container was muggled by a squirrel.

#2 . it was the gardeners first day

and #3 was pretty well hidden

it looked like just a piece of tree on the ground then you flip it over. and it was in an odd spot for muggles to be

You wouldn't want to bet on that, would you? There IS no muggle-proof spot. If you think there is, you are in for a rude awakening.

Someone removed all the contents out of one of my caches. They left the actual container which was strange. The worst part is that someone had placed a Travel Bug that had made it's way to Arkansas all the way from Germany. Very unfortunate :(

The same thing just happened to me. I got this log on one of my caches:

I parked the car and made my way to GZ. Started looking around and found nothing where I expected it. Expanded my search a bit and I found an ammo can wide open but without a log. I took a picture of it, just in case. It didn't have any log book anymore as someone took pretty much everything from the inside, so I placed a little piece of paper inside with my name to serve as the temporary log and I hid it a bit further away from the tennis court where there was no human thrash, so it should be ok from teenagers for the time being. I will email the CO the coordinates where I placed. Thanks for the cache.

It happens to the best cache hiders. And some of us others as well.

I once hid a cache near a VERY rural and seldom used state highway at a pullout. The area looked pristine. It was reported missing a few months later and I went out and replaced it. Got reported missing again and I went out again just in time to see a local rancher herding his cattle over the spot and across the road to another field. Sure enough I looked harder and found both containers pushed 30 foot or more closer to the road and obliterated by dozens of hooves.