Dumb idea for a puzzle...

d+n.s

Here in austin we have a lot of crosswalks that go, "beep, beep, beep" when you cross the street. Sometimes they speed up to let you know its about to turn red. I think they exist to let visually impared people utilize crosswalks with more confidence.

Could you use the number of times one of these things beep as an element for a multi or a puzzle? Or does it change depending on time of day and traffic levels? I've tried researching it a bit with luttle luck, and fear it might come down to going out and testing the one near my place at different times.

I also wonder if it would disrupt traffic too much, but surely a crosswalk wont change things too much because of some infrequent caching...

Anyway, ya'll are smart. I figures someone might just know.

Here in austin we have a lot of crosswalks that go, "beep, beep, beep" when you cross the street. Sometimes they speed up to let you know its about to turn red. I think they exist to let visually impared people utilize crosswalks with more confidence.

Could you use the number of times one of these things beep as an element for a multi or a puzzle? Or does it change depending on time of day and traffic levels? I've tried researching it a bit with luttle luck, and fear it might come down to going out and testing the one near my place at different times.

I also wonder if it would disrupt traffic too much, but surely a crosswalk wont change things too much because of some infrequent caching...

Anyway, ya'll are smart. I figures someone might just know.

Great idea but a nightmare to maintain!

these DO vary not only the time of day but if theres a car sitting on the sensor on the street going the other way. traffic control by DOT computer can change this on the fly. YMMV.

The problem with puzzle ideas based on "street furniture" is the unbelievable pace of change. Wording on signs change or are the signs themselves are removed, in this case you would also be vulnerable to a software upgrade in the beeper units.

I once went after an "all day" multi-cache in a forest. One of the locations was derived from a series of numbers to be found on the side of a telephone pole, but even in the middle of a forest, miles from anywhere, change had come. I found a stack of poles waiting to be removed and the route of the trench where the replacement fibre-optic link had been buried.

beep, beep, beep

It would be interesting to have a Cache set up where you follow sounds (and/or existing lights). In my town, the traffic lights become stupid at night -- the car sensors are turned off, and lights change at a regular interval, about every 5 minutes, for some weird reason. The crosswalks thankfully don't produce noise. But as mentioned, that could change. There could be a law that all traffic lights in the country must loudly speak "Do Not Wait Unless The Other Street's Light Is Not A Walking Person Symbol", and then next month, the law's been changed to make it beeps of Morse Code. If you walk the route frequently, you can adapt it.

This is interesting feedback. I suppose with a proper theme you could set a specific time (High Noon or something...) that cacher should be at the element. Ideally it would be one near a nice park and close to my place. Unfortunatley, many have pointed out the obvious, it might not be worth the trouble if DOT decides to change the beeps one day and it ends with a few cachers having a really lousy time.

Probably too many variables.

beep, beep, beep

It would be interesting to have a Cache set up where you follow sounds (and/or existing lights). In my town, the traffic lights become stupid at night -- the car sensors are turned off, and lights change at a regular interval, about every 5 minutes, for some weird reason. The crosswalks thankfully don't produce noise. But as mentioned, that could change. There could be a law that all traffic lights in the country must loudly speak "Do Not Wait Unless The Other Street's Light Is Not A Walking Person Symbol", and then next month, the law's been changed to make it beeps of Morse Code. If you walk the route frequently, you can adapt it.

Five minutes is way to long to wait, even when traffic is heavy. It sounds like they are setting people up for a red light ticket. I used to head to work at 3AM and had to make a left turn at signal controlled intersection. Every time I rolled up, it started to cycle. One day, it didn't obviously the sensor broke. I made my turn, reported it to DOT and made my turn against the red for the next two week when it was finally repaired.

What amazes me is the fact that some people have absolutely no idea that there are traffic sensors in the ground. We have a local intersection where a busy one lane road tees into another one lane road. The through road has priority. There is only one sensor and if you do not roll over it, the signal will never change. I ended up about a 1/4 mile before the first car, which was sitting about four feet from the sensor. There was at least a half mile of cars behind me. I sat there about five minutes watching the cars stack up behind and listening to the cars honking their horns in front. Finally a sheriff's motorcycle blasted past us and guided the driver over the sensor, which immediately cycled.

This is interesting feedback. I suppose with a proper theme you could set a specific time (High Noon or something...) that cacher should be at the element. Ideally it would be one near a nice park and close to my place. Unfortunatley, many have pointed out the obvious, it might not be worth the trouble if DOT decides to change the beeps one day and it ends with a few cachers having a really lousy time.

Probably too many variables.

Around here, traffic is monitored by sensors in the street. In fact there are sensors set far back from the intersection that measure flow, and traffic congestion. I have learned that if I am going at least the speed limit, and I hit that sensor, I will almost certainly hit the intersection before the yellow hits. Of course, this is not guaranteed. The signal must eventually cycle.

These sensors send data to a computer which tries to keep all traffic moving. Time of day patterns can also be programed.

All that means is that the long beeps are variable, dependent on the information the computer is getting from the sensors. The short beeps depend on a preset time from when the signal begins to cycle. Presumably, the sort beeps should be based on how long it takes the average pedestrian to cross the intersection. This time, or amount of beeps should remain constant, (unless they have to be adjusted because they were wrong).

A puzzle based on the short beeps should be feesable.

You have given me a great idea on a multi, based on our local signals.

Thanks...

Edited by Don_J