GPS Adventures Canada - our display!

CBGA

Kelly at Minotaur Mazes would like assistance to source Canadian geocaching items to put in a lexan type display case in the GPS Adventures Canada Maze.

They will need donated geocoins, travelling items (TB's, TAGs, etc) and trading items (signature and generic) for this secure display case which have been gathered from Canadian geocachers, provincial associations, regions (like COG) and groups like Parks Canada, Scouts, Girl Guides, etc.

If you'd like to send a Canadian theme trackable item, geocoin, trading and/or signature item for inclusion, please send them securely packaged to:

Kelly Fernandi

Minotaur Mazes

912 NW 63rd St.

Seattle, WA 98107

Coins and flatter/thinner items can go in a small bubble mailer. Anything 'bulky' should be in a larger bubble mailer or small box. Make sure and add a strip of packing tape to the fold/flap just to be safe. When you ship the item(s), please make sure and attach a customs sticker which says 'play token', 'gift' and the declared value as 'zero'. The item should be sent as USA Small Packet Air Mail. Please make sure you include your return address and contact info on the envelope. Also, putting this on a small card or note that is included in the mailer would aide in identification!

If your item is trackable, please make sure it is activated because it may be discovered while in the display case. At the moment, there is no timeline for the item to be returned. Please consider it a gift (received with the utmost of thanks!) unless notified otherwise. This would be a great way to share any historic signature items that you may have collected in your travels, perhaps from cachers who are no longer caching.

Please spread the word through your local forums, newsletters, tweets, etc. There are a lot of great Canadian signature items which should be on display!

If you would prefer a Canadian shipping destination (to save on postage and the customs forms), please package them safely and send them to:

Kelly Fernandi

c/o Landsharkz.ca

3967 Blue Ridge Place

Victoria, BC V8Z 2V3

We will collect your sealed mailers here and courier (or hand deliver) them to Kelly closer to the date he needs them.

Helen

What *would* be good is if Minotaur can come up with a way of sandwiching coins between two transparent/perspex/plastic sheets so people can discover the codes and enjoy the artwork.

Today the trackables are in a box.. and people have to lie on the ground to read "up" through the glass shelf to get tracking codes.

I didn't mind.. but a few folks send me notes asking for codes every couple of weeks!

Edited by RCA777

What *would* be good is if Minotaur can come up with a way of sandwiching coins between two transparent/perspex/plastic sheets so people can discover the codes and enjoy the artwork.

Today the trackables are in a box.. and people have to lie on the ground to read "up" through the glass shelf to get tracking codes.

I didn't mind.. but a few folks send me notes asking for codes every couple of weeks!

Creative display of coins so they can be examined and discovered easily... What about a mirrored back and coins in acrylic coin stands? Let me ponder this. We have time to come up with something that's an improvement over the 'lie on the ground' method.

We have received some packages for Kelly already - it's almost like Christmas! Poke, squeeze, shake!

We 'won' a lock n' lock full of Vancouver Island Geocachers signature items from Cyberchasers last year and I think we can donate some real oldies from the island to add to the display. A Team White Rice helmet?! How about that 'whitebear' siggy and a D-Tour keyring! We would love to add a Bandit bag! (nudge to 'Bandit') :)

Time is ticking, please get your donations in to us or directly to Kelly really SOON! We're going to spread the word to the local forums and FB threads this weekend.

Kelly at Minotaur Mazes would like assistance to source Canadian geocaching items to put in a lexan type display case in the GPS Adventures Canada Maze.

They will need donated geocoins, travelling items (TB's, TAGs, etc) and trading items (signature and generic) for this secure display case which have been gathered from Canadian geocachers, provincial associations, regions (like COG) and groups like Parks Canada, Scouts, Girl Guides, etc.

Why was this a one time maze? Got excited to see the new maze exhibit in Toronto (Canada) and found it was the same exhibit as the last 2 times it has been in the area

Why was this a one time maze? Got excited to see the new maze exhibit in Toronto (Canada) and found it was the same exhibit as the last 2 times it has been in the area

JP, it wasn't a one time maze and I know that the GPS Adventures Canada Maze had a long booking for next summer (not Island Spirit 2012). Saying that though, I have no clue where it is now and why Toronto Science Centre has the original maze. I have sent a note to Kelly from Minotaur Mazes to see if he can share the schedule for the new Canada Maze and let us know how to determine which maze is on exhibit when we see it advertised.

JP, it wasn't a one time maze and I know that the GPS Adventures Canada Maze had a long booking for next summer (not Island Spirit 2012). Saying that though, I have no clue where it is now and why Toronto Science Centre has the original maze. I have sent a note to Kelly from Minotaur Mazes to see if he can share the schedule for the new Canada Maze and let us know how to determine which maze is on exhibit when we see it advertised.

The GPS Maze in Toronto DID have some slight changes. The Space Needle was replaced with a CN Tower, and so was the trivia for it. I think the "Outdoors" section featured some Banff/Jasper info as well. The other two sections were the exact same ones as in the Kitchener Maze. As Vice President of the Ontario Geocaching Association, I was disappointed to find the geocoin we donated was not included in the trackables display case, though lots of California ones were. At least there was ONE local coin in there, from Central Ontario Geocachers.

$10 to park and $20 to get into the Maze was a bit rich for me though. The GPS Maze Toronto coins were not available at the event and I won't be paying another $30 for the opportunity to go buy a coin, so I hope they end up online at some point. One thing I do like, though is that $30 gets you into the Ontario Science Centre, which is far more interesting to wander around than the Children's Museum was for me. I'm looking forward to the rumoured Science North stop in Sudbury next year.

Edit: Fix that darn MacOS Lion autocorrect thing.

Edited by northernpenguin

Just wondering if the coins that were sent in are on display??? I think I had a grand total of 1 logged visit to mine???

Hmmm....

DD

yes, they are, we've seen the ones, if the same, sent to Three hills but they are closed in a small display and impossible to get the tracking number

127-1.jpg

This display offered better viewing of the trackables than the previous display we'd seen in Seattle and with the coins in clear lexan type stands they were visible on both sides without having to lay on our backs and look up. Some coins are still laying down, but not many. I know Mr. Canoehead managed to log a lot of them.

That cute rubber chicken by nine_ca&ladyracer was found in a cache in the Okanagan then sat on my desk for about 3 years before I donated it. It's nice to see so many cool Canadian signature items and trackables being enjoyed like this.

The GPS Maze in Toronto DID have some slight changes. The Space Needle was replaced with a CN Tower, and so was the trivia for it. I think the "Outdoors" section featured some Banff/Jasper info as well. The other two sections were the exact same ones as in the Kitchener Maze. As Vice President of the Ontario Geocaching Association, I was disappointed to find the geocoin we donated was not included in the trackables display case, though lots of California ones were. At least there was ONE local coin in there, from Central Ontario Geocachers.

$10 to park and $20 to get into the Maze was a bit rich for me though. The GPS Maze Toronto coins were not available at the event and I won't be paying another $30 for the opportunity to go buy a coin, so I hope they end up online at some point. One thing I do like, though is that $30 gets you into the Ontario Science Centre, which is far more interesting to wander around than the Children's Museum was for me. I'm looking forward to the rumoured Science North stop in Sudbury next year.

Edit: Fix that darn MacOS Lion autocorrect thing.

Hi All,

Kelly from Minotaur Mazes here. I'm sorry about the confusion.

We've been working on getting GPS into Ontario Science Center for years, and they booked this before GPS Canada existed. We floated the idea of having both mazes in there, but it wasn't feasible for them.

Here are the upcoming schedules for both exhibits:

GPS Adventures Canada:

Science North/Dynamic Earth

Sudbury, Ontario

MArch 3 - October 21, 2012

GPS Adventures:

Exploration Place

Wichita, KS

Jan. 28 - April 15, 2012

Boonshoft Museum of Discovery

Dayton, OH

May 26 - Sept. 3, 2012

Witte Museum

San Antonio, TX

Sept. 29, 2010 - Jan. 27 - 2013

Regarding the donated geocoins and trading items, the ones we requested for GPS Canada are all in the display case in the GPS Canada exhibit. Those donations were fantastic the case is full of beautiful coins, pins and varied signature swag. So sorry that the case in Toronto left you disappointed, but thanks (tons) again for those donations.

As for the parking and museum admission fee, I realize that's a tricky issue. It's expensive for sure. And I know a lot of us travel a long way and at significant cost to visit these exhibits, log the events, and support the places that bring them in. To some extent, it's life in a big city. I know parking and admissions here in Seattle add up any time we do something downtown. On one hand, it's part of what made the launch event in Three Hills, AB so relaxed and memorable. It was a charming town and the MEGA and the Maze launch were an exciting highlight. In Toronto, you've got the world at your fingertips, and the Ontario Science Centre is a gem among the world's best museums. So there's a value to the location and the city in general. I do hope many of you got a chance to explore OSC while you were there. I truly love that place.

Finally, let me apologize profusely for the missing GPS Maze Toronto geocoins. I swear we could not have tried harder to ensure they were there in time (as I sheepishly admit this isn't the first time this has happened). I assure you it is as disappointing and maddening for us as it is for you. There is something that happens between production, shipping, receipt, and transfer to the venue gift shop that seems to elude us no matter how far in advance we get the balls rolling. I could promise it won't happen again, but some things do seem to be out of our control. And the world of museum gift shops is mysteriously separate from the museums themselves.

I'd like to thank Helen at Landsharkz for moderating this thread and fielding some of the questions as they pop up. I'm happy to shed light on any other topics as I'm able. And thanks as always for making this one of the coolest things we do.

-Kelly

Minotaur Mazes

would be a good idea to display each one with a small piece of paper showing the tracking number

Darn, I though we placed these so that all of the tracking numbers could be read. Adding the mirror behind was one of the great ideas we got from your forum suggestions. I suppose I'm open to putting the tracking numbers on a piece of paper, but is that really what you want? I kinda though a little challenge is OK. But if DyverDown's # is obscured by the mount, we can try to add it somehow if we can't make it more readable (those coins are glued down with super duper hi-bonding tape so they don't look like a tornado hit them after each shipment). I'll see what we can do.

-Kelly

Minotaur Mazes

I can't believe I went to see the maze (on the event day), enjoyed it, admired all the geocoins in the display case, and never once thought to look for tracking numbers to "discover" them. Boy, do I feel like an idiot. :lol:

And I also didn't know there were to be geocoins for sale! If they're likely to show up in the shop eventually, I will make a return trip (possible because we happen to be members of the OSC) and this time I'll be sure to write down those numbers!

would be a good idea to display each one with a small piece of paper showing the tracking number

Darn, I though we placed these so that all of the tracking numbers could be read. Adding the mirror behind was one of the great ideas we got from your forum suggestions. I suppose I'm open to putting the tracking numbers on a piece of paper, but is that really what you want? I kinda though a little challenge is OK. But if DyverDown's # is obscured by the mount, we can try to add it somehow if we can't make it more readable (those coins are glued down with super duper hi-bonding tape so they don't look like a tornado hit them after each shipment). I'll see what we can do.

-Kelly

Minotaur Mazes

tracking numbers are a challenge as it is given that sometimes it is very hard to read them even when you hold the item in your hands, let alone in a glass case with mirrors and all the lights giving a lot of glare, i call that frustrating not challenging :P

personally i would prefer the tracking numbers were clearly visible so i could take a couple of pictures to get them all and be able to easily retrieve them at home

yes, they are, we've seen the ones, if the same, sent to Three hills but they are closed in a small display and impossible to get the tracking number

127-1.jpg

I managed to get a large amount of these ones in Three Hills. I do remember a couple being very hard or impossible to get and I would have got more if hubby hadn't been pulling me out. He was doing this while saying "really you have enough of them", I guess the kids getting annoyed also got to him.

The coins are now in stock. Call the Science Centre Gift Shop and if you are willing to pay the shipping I'm sure it could be arranged. Any problems ask for Berne he's in charge of the exhibit and can help. The new coins are very different than the ones available in Waterloo. I actually haven't been through the exhibit yet it was too crowded the first day and with a membership I know I can return. We went this weekend but got there late and only had time for the Leonarda Da Vinci exibit. At the store they had Trackable patches for $14.95 and Geocoins for $11.95. Hope that helps everyone.

The coins are now in stock. Call the Science Centre Gift Shop and if you are willing to pay the shipping I'm sure it could be arranged. Any problems ask for Berne he's in charge of the exhibit and can help. The new coins are very different than the ones available in Waterloo. I actually haven't been through the exhibit yet it was too crowded the first day and with a membership I know I can return. We went this weekend but got there late and only had time for the Leonarda Da Vinci exibit. At the store they had Trackable patches for $14.95 and Geocoins for $11.95. Hope that helps everyone.

a picture of the coin would help, i can't find one anywhere, i don't know how many want to buy blindly

a picture of the coin would help, i can't find one anywhere, i don't know how many want to buy blindly

I have a picture posted now on my Geocoin look up trackable number TB4PRPY (note that's not the actual tracking number that's the one that let's you see it). I also picked up the geocaching patch there as well like the one in the Geocaching store (the four color one).

The only other stuff they had was the Hide a Cache Starter kit (28.95), the Complete Idiots Guide to Geocaching (i think it was around $20, the Educaching guide for teachers (around $40) and a package with the Complete Idiot's Guide, Mt. Ranier Geocoin, a lanyard and a CITO bag in it (I think) for around $50.

I was disappointed that I didn't get a special Icon for the the Geocoin. My previous GPS Adventures Maze got a special icon check out TV2WV2N I haven't uploaded a picture of that geocoin yet and don't have it with me.

I have a picture posted now on my Geocoin look up trackable number TB4PRPY (note that's not the actual tracking number that's the one that let's you see it). I also picked up the geocaching patch there as well like the one in the Geocaching store (the four color one).

The only other stuff they had was the Hide a Cache Starter kit (28.95), the Complete Idiots Guide to Geocaching (i think it was around $20, the Educaching guide for teachers (around $40) and a package with the Complete Idiot's Guide, Mt. Ranier Geocoin, a lanyard and a CITO bag in it (I think) for around $50.

I was disappointed that I didn't get a special Icon for the the Geocoin. My previous GPS Adventures Maze got a special icon check out TV2WV2N I haven't uploaded a picture of that geocoin yet and don't have it with me.

i wonder why you don't have a special icon because i got one in Alberta and it has one Adventure Maze Canada Geocoin, the back is different though

having said that, there is a an additional fee for the special icon, perhaps they didn't want to pay it

Is that picture of all the geocoins and trackables at the Canadian Maze in Alberta... because I don't see the OGA geocoin in that display. It was displayed because there were 5 discoveries on it, last one being in August.

If it is not in the case, where did it go? Just wondering...

Thanks

assuming you are talking about the picture i posted, i don't know how you can tell its not there, there's also coins on the top shelf of that display and more tucked away behind others

i personally didn't pay attention to what was in there, i only noticed the C.R.E.W. geocoin

Edited by t4e