Best GPS for going paperless?

I just purchased a Garmin Dakota 10 on ebay for just under $130 before shipping. Its brand new in box and i should be getting it in today. It took almost a month to get one at that price though. They have been averaging about $150 for the Hike and Bike bundle. Though many people are trying to sell them for a Buy it Not price some where between $160 - $180.

The best deal, for a brand new paperless GPSr is the Explorist GC. There was actually a post saying someone got one for $50 at Target. Our local Target doesn't carry it (of course), but you can easily find them brand new, with full warranty, for $125-150. Other than the touch screen, the Dakota 10 gives you nothing the Explorist doesn't have, and you can get it brand new for less money. (If I'm correct, the 10 doesn't have the SD card slot. You may be able to load maps into the internal memory, which you can't on the GC, but what I've heard of them, the map on the GC is more than acceptable.) And, so I'm not seen as biased on this, I own a Garmin Oregon 200. In the place I was then, I'd have probably gotten the GC. Love my Oregon, but in bang for the buck, you can't beat the GC.

Later!

The GC is advertised that 10,000 caches can be loaded. Like I said above, I own an Oregon. The only down side to it I can see is that it doesn't have a card slot to add maps. Other than that, it looks to be a fantastic deal, and will get you through many, many finds before you out grow it, if you ever do. However, tonight, one of the leaders of our local group posted a link to the Oregon 450 for $189.99. That is by a wide margin the best deal I have seen in a long time. It won't hold 10k caches, but I honestly can't think of a reason I'd ever need that many. It has the sd card slot, compass, altimeter, is completely paperless, and if my 200 is an example, is -extremely- easy to use. If I had the cash to spare, I'd order one tonight.

LINK

Later!

I've been going paperless with my PN40 without a hitch. You can find good deals online. I got mine on Amazon. I'm not sure what its max number of caches is though.

I had a PN-30 prior to getting the Oregon. While it is paperless, the "buttonology" of the Oregon is far and away better, and there are tons of free (including routable) maps for the Garmins. If you're going into the next price bracket above the GC (and several people have reported that link I posted has changed....), I'd look at the Oregon series. You can get a 200 (no compass or altimeter or wireless) or 300 (compass, altimeter and wireless) for cheap now. The X00 models have been discontinued, but in over a year with my 200, I'm still happy with it.

Later!

I've been going paperless with my PN40 without a hitch. You can find good deals online. I got mine on Amazon. I'm not sure what its max number of caches is though.

I had a PN-30 prior to getting the Oregon. While it is paperless, the "buttonology" of the Oregon is far and away better, and there are tons of free (including routable) maps for the Garmins. If you're going into the next price bracket above the GC (and several people have reported that link I posted has changed....), I'd look at the Oregon series. You can get a 200 (no compass or altimeter or wireless) or 300 (compass, altimeter and wireless) for cheap now. The X00 models have been discontinued, but in over a year with my 200, I'm still happy with it.

Later!

Is the wireless a bluetooth connection on the 300? Or does wireless mean something else? I will say that I find the PN40s plug a bit annoying. I don't like how the connection area is exposed. My father's older Garmin takes a more generic little USB one.

Like others have said the most inexpensive paperless is the Explorist GC. The only problem I have with it is that you cannot load additional maps on it. Going with the Dakota 10 you can load free maps from gpsfiledepot. The Dakota 10 isn't too much more so I would go that route.

Edited by CacheFreakTim

Do you have a mobilephone with GPS?

Try Geocaching Live at Live.geocaching.com

I have been using this for 1½ year, and it works great. It works online or ofline as you wish. On the homepage, you can download a program that rip maps for offline use (you don't have to buy maps). When you've found a cache, you can mark it as found, and upload to the server, and finish logging at at home(gain, no paper).

You don't have to plan caching. Just start up this program, and search for nearby caches.

Some talk about battery life. After 4 hours my phone used 50-60% (SE Hazel)

GPS-precision says 1-6 meters.

Love paperles geocaching :D

I won't go back to an "ordinary" GPS.

Do you have a mobilephone with GPS?

Try Geocaching Live at Live.geocaching.com

I have been using this for 1½ year, and it works great. It works online or ofline as you wish. On the homepage, you can download a program that rip maps for offline use (you don't have to buy maps). When you've found a cache, you can mark it as found, and upload to the server, and finish logging at at home(gain, no paper).

You don't have to plan caching. Just start up this program, and search for nearby caches.

Some talk about battery life. After 4 hours my phone used 50-60% (SE Hazel)

GPS-precision says 1-6 meters.

Love paperles geocaching :D

I won't go back to an "ordinary" GPS.

Personally I prefer using a dedicated GPS, but if I'm out and just randomly want to search for geocaches, my iPhone is great. It does kill the battery really fast on mine, so I would say if you go on longer geocaching adventures, a dedicated GPS is the way to go.

I just got a new phone that has web access, and have used it to view several cache pages. (It isn't a true "smartphone", because I am too cheap to buy one, but it is handy to be able to read the whole page, and all of the logs.) However, unless you are not ever going to cache near water or in the woods, I would not recommend relying only on a phone. If you are out in the woods, or near any amount of water, your GPSr -will- be physically abused, and -will- get wet. Far as I know, those are both very, very bad for most phones. The new phones are great, but I'd still drop the cash for at least a GC, that will be ruggedized and waterproof. (My Pn-30 bounced off the bottom of a creek, about a foot and a half deep. The Oregon hasn't been submerged yet, but it's been in rain I could hardly see in, and seen plenty of trees up close and personal.) If you do nothing but waypoint your car and put it in your pack, it is still worth it as a survival tool, in case Nature > Phone. As far as not planning, my Oregon takes literally about 30 seconds to get ready. That includes logging in to GC.com, downloading the PQ, deleting the old one(s), and copying in the new one(s). I usually load a fresh copy of the local PQ (I have one that pulls 1000 caches within 50 miles of the house, and runs daily. Not long ago, I split the multi's and mystery's out, and they run daily on a 2nd one,) on the way out the door. To me, it's a non-factor.

Later!

However, tonight, one of the leaders of our local group posted a link to the Oregon 450 for $189.99.

LINK

That link takes me to a Garmin NUVI 1300LM on the Staples website.

I seem to recall somebody posting a similar link in another thread which did the same thing...I think it was reported they had an error in their database and the Oregon was NOT selling at that crazy price of $189.

You might consider editing your post. :unsure:

Ive heard some good reviews about the magellan explorist GC, but some people say on retailer websites that its usually too slow and takes a minute or too to load. I really hope this is not the case cuz i am looking to buy one.

I have friend that has one and he says it takes longer to load the more caches he has in his PQ. Sounds like it could be fixed with a firmware update but Magellan haven't said much about fixing it.

I love my Delorme PN40! That model is being discontinued in favor of their newer model.... I will buy a Delorme again when the time comes.

I use a 16G SD card and can load up multiple PQs and switch freely as I travel. All notes, logs, etc are there. With a CabBat battery in it, I can cache all day with one charge and charge batteries without taking them out of the unit. The "buttonology" is no problem once you are familiar with it. The only thing I wish for is a bit larger screen, but it's not a big problem.

Paperless + Value = Magellan eXplorist GC on clerance at Target for $40. You save $110.

Woah! Did you see that in a store? The website has it at $149 (well, at least the U.S. one does). I have a friend who is interested in starting geocaching, and I would love to point her in the direction of the $40 Magellan.

Paperless + Value = Magellan eXplorist GC on clerance at Target for $40. You save $110.

Must be regional. I went to Target yesterday and they had it in the GPS section tagged at $149.

rav_bunneh, you should buy them out! You could do well on ebay! :laughing:

At $40 I would buy one as a backup and to just check out the new magellan thing. Can you point me to this sale? :anibad:

If you don't mind a small screen delormes ain't bad.I had a PN-20 which worked fine for paperless caching. Ebay may have them cheap and there are ways to update maps :lol: . A PN-30 would be better because it is green and easy to lose. :laughing: See how low a price you can find for a PN-40. Ken

Edited by kentwoodkrew