Should I place this cache here?

I was looking at some overseas based Wherigos for inspiration, when I noticed that several Australian Caches have the following wording on their cache pages..

This Cache has been placed in compliance with the Morsix rules:

Is the location of particular interest? (location, culture, architecture, landscape, ...)

Is it a challenge to get to the cache-box? (and that doesn't mean the next high-muggle location)

Does it have an innovative camouflage, twist or idea? (a micro is not a twist - it's not even a real cache)

Or is it exciting? (night-cache, electronic features, Wherigo with a good story, ...)

Only if you can answer at least one question with yes, place the cache. If not, just let it be.

I have no idea who or what Morsix is... but is it an idea to do something similar here? Would it make cache hiders think?

Just wondered....

Steve/Birdie

I was looking at some overseas based Wherigos for inspiration, when I noticed that several Australian Caches have the following wording on their cache pages..

This Cache has been placed in compliance with the Morsix rules:

Is the location of particular interest? (location, culture, architecture, landscape, ...)

Is it a challenge to get to the cache-box? (and that doesn't mean the next high-muggle location)

Does it have an innovative camouflage, twist or idea? (a micro is not a twist - it's not even a real cache)

Or is it exciting? (night-cache, electronic features, Wherigo with a good story, ...)

Only if you can answer at least one question with yes, place the cache. If not, just let it be.

I have no idea who or what Morsix is... but is it an idea to do something similar here? Would it make cache hiders think?

Just wondered....

Steve/Birdie

If all you have to do is answer one question "yes", I can't think of many caches - however lame I might think they are - that a cache owner couldn't talk into fitting Morsix :(

No - I'll stick with Briansnat's rule....

When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot.

You're right Birdie.....

I agree with both Morsix and Briansnat (whoever they are!) and think publishing a better cache hiding ethos would be a great idea.

Briansnat is quoted on the Guidelines, but judging from many questions we get on these forums, I suspect lots of hiders are guilty of not reading them properly or even at all (despite ticking the box that says they have when they submit a cache).

Something on cache pages might well be the visible prompt that we need to ensure that caches are not put out just for the sake of it, but actually reward the finder with something other than a smiley.

Briansnat is quoted on the Guidelines, but judging from many questions we get on these forums, I suspect lots of hiders are guilty of not reading them properly or even at all (despite ticking the box that says they have when they submit a cache).

:lol:

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot.

This. Everything else is a matter of preference but I do think geocaches should be in places of some note.

A possible exception is Motorway Mayhem caches where the location itself may not be of any significant apart from being close to the motorway.

A possible exception is Motorway Mayhem caches where the location itself may not be of any significant apart from being close to the motorway.

And that is exactly why it fails.

"I've said YES to question one because.......* this stile is exactly 1/10th of a mile from my previous hide/I like this hedge/this layby's where I first kissed my wife/this is the road to my Grandma's house/this stile is exactly 1/10th of a mile to my next hide/I used to catch the bus to school at this bus stop/it's a RED phone box"

* delete as applicable

Edited by keehotee

I read an historic US thread some time ago where it was suggested that before anyone placed their first cache that they needed to do an on-line form/questionnaire in conjunction with the new cache application form. This questionnaire would confirm that a whole series of quality/cache placement points included in the guidelines were fully understood. I know this would not prevent all poor cache placements but it may help in some cases.

I know it is not really in a reveiwers remit but I am sure they would love to challenge the 'reason' for some placements when they are reviewing a new cache. Do they sometimes send an e-mail to a prospective CO and say 'Why'?