Boat Required symbol?

bamageek

In surfing for some caches in a particular area I noticed that in the descriptions of most of my search results said "a boat is required for this cache". Since I don't have a boat it is somewhat unlikely that I will be visiting these caches. Therefore, I thought it might be a good idea if you guys could add an icon for caches that require a boat that could show up in the search results page, so when we are searching for caches us land lovers will know to skip these that we know we can't get to.

A "boat required" (i.e. "hydrocache") flag was among the many "cache attributes" discussed at length. It may be a while before such "cache attributes" are implemented, but they were indeed discussed at length a while back and from the sound of things, they'll come in time.

In the meantime, we're just going to have to do our best. (I have the opposite "problem"... I'm *trying* to find them.) Anyway, don't begin holding your breath just yet, but don't give up on it, either. Eventually it'll come (but you'll still have to read the descriptions, just in case a cache doesn't have the flag set).

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

If the cache has been properly rated, if it requires a boat, it should be rated a 5 star terrain, for special equiptment required. It should be easy enough to filter out 5 star caches visually, or using pocket queries or a program like Watcher. If you see a cache that a boat (or other special equiptment, like climbing or repelling gear) is required (not just helpful), then you should email the hider and explain the rating error. If that fails, or you are uncomfortable with that, try emailing your local cache approver or Groundspeak directly and let them handle it.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Thanks for the info. I went back and checked. Most of the results do indeed have 5 ratings, although one had a 1 and another had a 4.

I know one place in particular where a boat is required becase a cache is on an island, however, the cache is fairly easy and also there is a canoe rental available on site. Would a site like this still require a 5 rating?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bamageek:

I know one place in particular where a boat is required becase a cache is on an island, however, the cache is fairly easy and also there is a canoe rental available on site. Would a site like this still require a 5 rating?

If canoe rentals were available, it would not fall in the terrain 5, special equipment required, category. It would be similar to a cache on a populated island where a ferry is the only access; you don't need to bring your own boat. Any fees that may be required should be indicated on the cache page, of course, but that's just common courtesy.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System