Newbie Co-ordinates question

ITooley

Hi All,

I had my first adventure into the world of geo-caching today, not successful unfortunately, but I have not given up yet. I found the first clue but couldn't find the hide even after spending an hour looking. This made me check the information again, I see after the co-ordinates there are some letters

i.e. The cache at N51 38.HLK E000 47.JLG

Do the letters mean anything or are they just there to make the required number of digits up?.

Many thanks, we are off again tomorrow looking at another site, hopefully more luck there.

Ian :unsure:

Looks like it's a multi cache.

There should/may be a sign/notice/plaque at the coordinates.

As an example.

The coordinates might lead you to a gravestone with the dates Born 1785 Died 1820

The clue may say Born ABCD Died EFGH

N51 38.ABC E000 47.FGH then becomes N51 38.178 E000 47. 820

Sometimes it's not always ABC in the coordinates, the cache owner can shuffle them to get the right numbers!

And. Sometimes having found the right numbers there is a maths equation to find other numbers!

Looks like a puzzle cache, where you have to solve a riddle, find clues, etc. to get the digits for the letters. What is the GC code?

Hi thanks for getting back to me, the code is GC1P6A7

Thanks

Ian

To locate the cache you will first need to find the following information :-

* Brigadier General Alexander William Taylor : May 2 18GH - Jun 16 19J0

* Phebe Kemp : d. May 15 186K Aged 7L

The cache at N51 38.HLK E000 47.JLG

Find the graves, replace the letters with the numbers you find, enter coordinates into GPS, go find the cache!

UK cachers can be found over in the UK and Ireland side of these forums here. Were usually a relaxed lot, come and join us!

I'll give you some points for bravery, though. A puzzle for find #1! On the map, mystery (puzzle) caches generally have question marks as the place marker. Might wanna stick with the green box looking one for now. (Those are "traditional" caches. Pop in the coord and away you go. But, I will say that there are some of them that are crazy hard too. :D ) However you go, best of luck, and welcome to the game!

Later!

yep, try traditional caches first (yes, the green box icon); and try caches that are larger in size, like smalls or regulars with lower difficulty / terrain combinations. Once you get those down, try for more difficult ones.

I also recommend HeadHardHat's Geosnippits videos on YouTube, he has some great videos that will give you an idea of what you might be looking for out in the field.

best of luck!