Trouble getting into this section

LazyLeopard

Anybody else have to hit the "login" twice to get it to take.I can get to this forum OK, but only after a double shot of login. icon_biggrin.gif And the cookie is enabled.I don't have to type in any info(user name & password).Just have to hit login twice.

Gary "Gimpy Strong

Anybody else have to hit the "login" twice to get it to take.I can get to this forum OK, but only after a double shot of login. icon_biggrin.gif And the cookie is enabled.I don't have to type in any info(user name & password).Just have to hit login twice.

Gary "Gimpy Strong

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

Anybody else have to hit the "login" twice to get it to take.I can get to this forum OK, but only after a double shot of login. icon_biggrin.gif

This is true. We modified the integration procedure a little which caused this to happen. Normally, when you log into the Geocaching.com site, we're supposed to send a URL to the forums indicating that you've logged in. During testing, we noticed that if the forums are slow or are down for maintenance for some reason, then you can't log into the Geocaching.com site. So we modified the procedure a little so that we log you into the Geocaching.com site immediately, then when you go to the forums and do something that requires a login (or click the Login link), the forums query the geocaching.com site for your login info. This causes the double login I believe you are referring to.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

Anybody else have to hit the "login" twice to get it to take.I can get to this forum OK, but only after a double shot of login. icon_biggrin.gif

This is true. We modified the integration procedure a little which caused this to happen. Normally, when you log into the Geocaching.com site, we're supposed to send a URL to the forums indicating that you've logged in. During testing, we noticed that if the forums are slow or are down for maintenance for some reason, then you can't log into the Geocaching.com site. So we modified the procedure a little so that we log you into the Geocaching.com site immediately, then when you go to the forums and do something that requires a login (or click the Login link), the forums query the geocaching.com site for your login info. This causes the double login I believe you are referring to.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

So we modified the procedure a little so that we log you into the Geocaching.com site immediately, then when you go to the forums and do something that requires a login (or click the Login link), the forums query the geocaching.com site for your login info. This causes the double login I believe you are referring to.

For whatever it's worth, this doesn't seem to work on Netscape 4.7x for Windoze. I know, I know, get a new browser...

quote:
For whatever it's worth, this doesn't seem to work on Netscape 4.7x for Windoze.
I'm beginning to suspect there's a cache-preferences issue getting in the way so that, if you've been dumped once, it'll keep looking like you've been dumped until the cache page expires... Something that might help would be a link on the main index page that forced the login check and then returned you to the main index.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

Something that might help would be a link on the main index page that forced the login check and then returned you to the main index.

I tried that. It went into an infinite loop (back and forth between geocaching.com and opentopic).

Jeremy

'

quote:
For whatever it's worth, this doesn't seem to work on Netscape 4.7x for Windoze. I know, I know, get a new browser...

I'm running Netscape 4.7 for windows & all works great. 98 SE op. sys. I tried Netscape 6.1 & it is almost as bad as IE 6.0. I've been running 6.0 for quite a while & got totally fed up with problems I've been having with their Java fiasco. Half the pages I went to, I'd get some "object expected" error all over the place that would not allow viewing cetrain pics. or files. Thinking about going over to Opera. But no real problems here with 4.7.

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

quote:

Ah... So why does it sometimes kick me back even when I'm logged in? Something somewhere is still having hiccups...

Double check to make sure at the very top of the forum page it says your logged in. If so, then you shouldn't get kicked back.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you open a second browser window to the forums, the new window hijacks your session and login. If you close that window and go back to the previous one, you may have to log in again. icon_confused.gif

The key is the link at the top that says "Hello Lazy Leopard [logout]". If it says that and you're still getting logged out, let me know and I'll keep looking into it.

-Elias

quote:

Ah... So why does it sometimes kick me back even when I'm logged in? Something somewhere is still having hiccups...

Double check to make sure at the very top of the forum page it says your logged in. If so, then you shouldn't get kicked back.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you open a second browser window to the forums, the new window hijacks your session and login. If you close that window and go back to the previous one, you may have to log in again. icon_confused.gif

The key is the link at the top that says "Hello Lazy Leopard [logout]". If it says that and you're still getting logged out, let me know and I'll keep looking into it.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by parkrrrr:

Can you be a little more specific as to the problem you're experiencing?

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

quote:

Can you be a little more specific as to the problem you're experiencing?

Well, it's tough to be, because I can't get into this forum at all when I'm actually sitting in front of the machine that's running Netscape. Basically, it just won't let me log in at all. I can log in to geocaching.com, but when I hit the "login" link here it just takes me back to the geocaching login page. If I log in at that page, it brings me back to the main forum page, but says I'm still not logged in.

If you think it would help I can log the HTTP headers while I try to log on.

quote:

Basically, it just won't let me log in at all. I can log in to geocaching.com, but when I hit the "login" link here it just takes me back to the geocaching login page. If I log in at that page, it brings me back to the main forum page, but says I'm still not logged in.

Ok, I have a couple of ideas, some are a real stretch, so bear with me:

• Do you use any personal firewall software?
  • Any software that manages cookies, or any settings in Netscape which might affect cookies?
  • Just cuz I'm feeling silly - try disabling Netscape's cache. I think you can do this by putting in values of zero for the cache sizes.

I'm pretty stumped on this one, but I'll keep working try to figure it out.

-Elias

quote:
I don't seem to get that even when I am logged in. There's a logout link in the "Post A Reply" page, but not on any of the others, even though I have been able to get into this topic... I made sure to force (shift-click reload) a reload oon the main page after visiting this topic, and that doesn't make it appear either. Next test. Turn off the cache...

quote:

I don't seem to get that even when I am logged in. There's a logout link in the "Post A Reply" page, but not on any of the others, even though I have been able to get into this topic..

If you're getting in here, then you must be logged in. The link I was referring to is on the forum main page. Here's what it looks like:

GSP_forum_login.gif

Let me know if you're still getting logged out.

-Elias

quote:
The link I was referring to is on the forum main page. Here's what it looks like:
I get a blank grey box there. No text or link as shown in your screen-grab... Is this one of the bits that needs JavaScript enabled?

quote:
Let me know if you're still getting logged out.
I have switched the cache-check option to "check every time" and now I get through the second (and subsequent) time, which fits with the known pattern. Setting the "once per session" option triggers the behaviour I was seeing.

quote:

I get a blank grey box there. No text or link as shown in your screen-grab... Is this one of the bits that needs JavaScript enabled?

That's it. I just checked the page source and it looks like the login function uses Javascript. So since you can't log yourself in, the forums do this automatically when you try to access something that requires a login - and this is causing you to be redirected unexpecedly.

Its not clear to me what to do at this point, but I'll keep this on my list of things to try to work out. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

-Elias

quote:
Its not clear to me what to do at this point, but I'll keep this on my list of things to try to work out.
I'd guess having a noscript block that added a short bit of explanatory text (eg "JavaScript disabled. You know who you are. icon_smile.gif ") might help. Maybe include a link that, if clicked by the user, will trigger the login check and reurn to the main index?

quote:
Its not clear to me what to do at this point, but I'll keep this on my list of things to try to work out.
I'd guess having a noscript block that added a short bit of explanatory text (eg "JavaScript disabled. You know who you are. icon_smile.gif ") might help. Maybe include a link that, if clicked by the user, will trigger the login check and reurn to the main index?