Feedback suggestion to create a voting system for favourite logs

prodrive

It was created a suggestion at the Feedback forum to create a voting system for favourite logs:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1756905-create-voting-system-for-logs?ref=title

Please create a voting system for logs. I think a positive LIKE system (on the Facebook style) should be enough to highlight the most remarkable logs. Please consider this suggestion to keep the high quality standards of Geocaching.

If you agree with this suggestion, please cast your vote :)

Although I agree with this concept, I cannot will not vote.

Because most (or many) that leave simple TFTC, or no log at all, don't actually care what you or I think about logs. They aren't going to comprise a nice log for any reason -- except their own. This sounds to me like a waste of resources. Sorry to put in that manner, but it is what it is.

We had that brief time when people could submit their favorite logs for some contest or something. I read some of the logs voted to be good and while some of them were very entertaining to read many of them it felt like a situation where: a.) you had to know the person writing it, b.) you had to have personal knowledge of the cache involved, c.) you had to be there to appreciate the humor.

I put a lot of effort into many of my logs. I never use initials, I never cut and paste a log for multiple caches, even on the old ET trail. Sometimes my logs may be brief, but there are some caches that inspire me, a title that leads to a stream of consciousness, a location that holds a lot of meaning. In either case, however, my cache log is a record of my personal experience. It is not something that I consider up for a vote. Not everything needs to be voted on, particularly a log that may fade from view after the next set of cache finders. I prefer to write what I want to write, and if somebody happens to see it and like it, that is fine. If they do not, that is fine also.

If I run across a log that I think is particularly good, I can let that person know. I do not feel a need to vote to "like" every kind of thing.

But if this proposal were adopted, I would not log anything more than TFTC.

Edited by mulvaney

I enjoy reading a well-written log as much as anybody.

What purpose would it serve to vote for the ones I enjoyed more than some others?

I figured it would encourage better logs. Maybe blank logs would at least have tftc or something.

Blank logs are often the result of people not understanding a mobile app. If you are oblivious to an online log, having a like button is unlikely to change this - in fact I would probably "like" only blank logs. Marking a cache as a favorite serves a purpose for both the individual and the community. A like button for a log is different - but if this is adopted why stop there, we should have like buttons for user names, avatars, photos, profile pages, and the "like." Oddly enough I could see the benefit of a like or agree button for forum posts since it could be used instead of +1.

Edited by mulvaney

I enjoy reading a well-written log as much as anybody.

What purpose would it serve to vote for the ones I enjoyed more than some others?

I figured it would encourage better logs. Maybe blank logs would at least have tftc or something.

those people never read the site, if they did they would see that they are posting blank logs and at least edit it, unfortunately they don't give a rat's a**

Another example of why we should be allowed to have a no vote

You mean the ability to "dislike" certain logs? I don't seeing ground speak allowing that.

No I mean vote no on a feedback item.

How would this "log voting" implementation negatively impact your caching? Seems like we could just ignore it if we don't like it.

You mean the ability to "dislike" certain logs? I don't seeing ground speak allowing that.

How would this "log voting" implementation negatively impact your caching? Seems like we could just ignore it if we don't like it.

Because as this month has shown there are much more improtant upgrades Groundspeak needs to be working on. Using money and hours to focus on something that does not directly benefit caching would only be okay (to me) if everything else was perfect.

Because as this month has shown there are much more improtant upgrades Groundspeak needs to be working on. Using money and hours to focus on something that does not directly benefit caching would only be okay (to me) if everything else was perfect.

I 100% agree. the author of c geo (i know taboo) posted some interesting observations about the website. something I hadn't even considered was how the site uses pictures for the terrain/difficulty. that uses WAY more data that text would. Small changes like that add up big time.

But in the FUTURE I think this could work.

the author of c geo (i know taboo) posted some interesting observations about the website. something I hadn't even considered was how the site uses pictures for the terrain/difficulty. that uses WAY more data that text would. Small changes like that add up big time.

Yeah I noticed that too, and also found it a strange way of getting the info across. On the plus side though, the same combinations of D/T/S always end up with the same URL, so browser caching kicks in. So in effect I'm not sure how much difference WRT bandwidth consumption it really makes.

I see a sea of possibilities in this feature. It will be nice to highlight every week or every month the most LIKED logs. I think it could be a huge motivation to write better and most interesting logs :)

Or leave blank logs.

I see no interest to highlight blank logs.

I think it could be a huge motivation to write better and most interesting logs :)

Or leave blank logs.

As I wrote earlier, for me that would be the practical result. I like to write. I have won writing contests and make my living doing a specialized form of writing. If a cache is in the right location, has the right title, or involves the right adventure I can be as eloquent as anybody. Still, as Groundspeak states, a log is a record of my experience. If you chance upon it, you are free to enjoy the story or think that it is the worst thing you have read. But unless I choose, I do not consider my experiences to be subject to voting.

wimseyguy hit the nail on the head. I do not leave great log entries for finding that lamp post cache in a walmart parking lot, or the gaurd rail right behind walmart either. You will get a good log entry for a well placed, adventure filled find or even a DNF if it is worth it, and our adventure was a good one.

bottom line LPC hides get a TFTC and thats it from me.

Generally, more interesting caches gain more interesting logs. You want to see more interesting logs posted, hide and encourage your geopals to hide more interesting caches.

I agree with you, and this suggestion motivating people to write better logs, will also encourage other Geocachers to hide most exciting caches. It's a chain! I only see positive things in this suggestion.

I think it could be a huge motivation to write better and most interesting logs :)

Or leave blank logs.

As I wrote earlier, for me that would be the practical result.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any logical in this conclusion.

I have seen suggestions for voting on photos, logs, cache descriptions, cache containers, caches themselves, events, ideas - etc....

Why do so many feel a great need to vote on everything they see??

I can't speak for others, but IMHO voting best logs or best caches it's a way to highlight quality in hundreds of thousands logs and caches. If it works perfectly for caches, I think it will work perfectly also for logs :)

I have seen suggestions for voting on photos, logs, cache descriptions, cache containers, caches themselves, events, ideas - etc....

Why do so many feel a great need to vote on everything they see??

I can't speak for others, but IMHO voting best logs or best caches it's a way to highlight quality in hundreds of thousands logs and caches. If it works perfectly for caches, I think it will work perfectly also for logs :)

I don't understand - who gets to vote? at what point in time? Do you view the system as searchable? Is it best log on a particular cache? Best on my own caches? Best I have ever seen? How many votes do I get? Where will I vote? etc...

As long as the system shows a percentage of Premium member who favorited the log vs. non-premium members, then I am all for it. Just a raw number of votes cast would not be enough for me to determine the quality of the favorited log. :ph34r::anibad::ph34r:

I'm sure many agree with you, but of course if they were to implement this you'd have to go a few extra steps to see the percentage as to make sure that it doesn't upset those that don't want to see it.

I see a sea of possibilities in this feature. It will be nice to highlight every week or every month the most LIKED logs. I think it could be a huge motivation to write better and most interesting logs :)

Are these the type logs you are trying to improve?:

"22.21

Belo sítio. TFTC. TNLN."

I don't understand - who gets to vote?

The logs

at what point in time?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Do you view the system as searchable?

Yes.

Is it best log on a particular cache?

The idea is to vote "LIKE" all the logs you like.

Best on my own caches?

You can vote all the logs you like, not just the logs in your caches.

Best I have ever seen?

All the logs you like, that you think people should also read.

How many votes do I get?

No limit

Where will I vote?

Clicking the LIKE button at the log.

etc...

Shoot

"22.21

Belo sítio. TFTC. TNLN."

No log in particular. The logs in general.

Why would I not be able to vote for logs on my own caches?? By when - I mean - do I need to have found that cache first?? Any criteria at all? If no limits - what stops somebody from "liking" every log they see?

What exacly does "like" mean?? I don't get that either......

Why would I not be able to vote for logs on my own caches??

You can vote all the logs, even the logs in your caches.

By when - I mean - do I need to have found that cache first??

You don't need to find the cache first. If you like that log, you just have to vote it.

Any criteria at all?

The only criteria is to vote the log if you like it.

If no limits - what stops somebody from "liking" every log they see?

Nothing will stop him/her. Maybe he/she will stop do it, when realizes its atittud leads to nowhere

What exacly does "like" mean?? I don't get that either......

Means that you like the log :)

"22.21

Belo sítio. TFTC. TNLN."

No log in particular. The logs in general.

Just wondering because I noticed this log with very little change often preceded or followed yours immediately, at least the latest ones, so I though this may have triggered this.