Northing and Easting

fidahunzai1

Respected Fellows

I have a piece of land and i have difficulty to find because its coordinates are in Northing and Easting,

NORTHING EASTING

A. 1430990 2370660

B. 1431910 2370660

C. 1432620 3371270

D. 1430610 3371200

Can anyone change these coordinates into Degree Minute and seconds formate. I try many ways unable to solve it.

Thanks in Advance....

PS. these coordinates from north of Pakistan Chitral.

There are computer programs which will do the conversion. However, you must know the numeric "factor" for your location to plug into the formula. The factors are published for the United States, where the format is referred to as State Plane Coordinates. However, your post suggests that you are not in the United States.

One of our Forum participants, Dave Doyle, is our resident expert in SPC. Click here for a magazine article on the subject, which he wrote for professional surveyors.

Best regards,

-Paul-

I have a piece of land and i have difficulty to find because its coordinates are in Northing and Easting,

Thanks in Advance....

PS. these coordinates from north of Pakistan Chitral.

Northing and easting are always relative to a particular map projection, and various agencies use various projections. For instance, if it is a historical reference, the values were likely from British surveys, and if it is a modern reference, it might be from a Soviet survey, an American Department of Defense survey, a national survey of Pakistan, or it might even be a local survey. Each of those sources would have used different parameters.

In general, in order to translate northing and easting into latitude and longitue, you need to know (1) the parameters of the map projection that was used, and (2) the datum to which it was referenced. If you don't have that information, or are able to guess that information, then there is no way to translate.

There is likely a typographical error in the first digit of two of the Easting coordinates. If two of the points are a million meters (or feet) from the other two, then they don't define a parcel of land.

I found a map coordinate system where these coordinates were valid, and fell WNW and ENE respectively from Chitral (for any reasonable datum), but they all fell outside the borders of Pakistan on my map.

I don't think I want to give the OP any further information without a better understanding of the situation.

Edited by Bill93

I don't think I want to give the OP any further information without a better understanding of the situation.

Good point, Bill. It appears that the OP registered for this website specifically for the purpose of asking his question. And like you, I wondered about the significant difference in coordinates for what is claimed is a single parcel of land.

-Paul-

These values may be referenced to the Indian Coordinate system which has several zones and I believe is also called the Lambert Conical Orthomorphic Zones. Before they can be converted to latitude and longitude it would be important to know what horizontal datum (e.g. Indian 1960) they are referenced to and what is the unit of measure (e.g. yards, feet, meters etc.)

These values may be referenced to the Indian Coordinate system which has several zones and I believe is also called the Lambert Conical Orthomorphic Zones. Before they can be converted to latitude and longitude it would be important to know what horizontal datum (e.g. Indian 1960) they are referenced to and what is the unit of measure (e.g. yards, feet, meters etc.)

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is indian coordinates and unit used is yards, feet and acres.