Dawning Hope Traveler

GregsonVaux

I mentioned this in another thread, so here is what my idea looks like. It will be a new version of the Dawning Hope geocoin but much smaller and hopefully much cheaper so that it is more likely to be put in caches. I am currently aiming for 1.5" in diameter and 3mm thick. I would really like it to cost $6, but that would be a stretch. I have currently created graphics for three versions with different platings and enamel colors. One of the versions would be an unusual metal that I think will appeal to people.

Here is the big question: is this coin too much like its bigger and older sibling? Will people who have bought the larger version want to buy the smaller version?

I want to point out that the tengwar text on this coin is of a different style than the larger coin and most people consider this style to be much more beautiful.

DawningHopeTraveler-Front-color4-22-2011small.png

DawningHopeTraveler-Color-Back4-22-2011small.png

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

"Edited to add: If its a traveller would it be a good idea to have a pre-placed hole in it in hopes to lessen its chances of getting stolen?"

If you drill a hole it slows down the thieves, if it is part of the coin design I don't think it will stop them.

Nice looking coin

Edited by TeamEccs21

The samples arrived today and I am extremely pleased with them. I hope to have the full run completed in the near future and available for purchase. I am also hoping to keep costs low to encourage people to release these into the wild.

As with my other coins, the copper edition is made of solid copper so that the metal will maintain its full beauty for hundreds of years.

IMG_9736croppedandcodesremoved.jpg

IMG_9731Rotatedfilled.jpg

I'm very excited! The full production run has begun on the coins and I just received word today that there will be a fourth version made. The reason this is so exciting is that this technique has never been used on geocoins before and it will bring them to a whole new level. It will introduce a completely new palette of colors that will approach and perhaps equal fine jewelry in their quality.

The four editions will be:

Solar Radiance

Sidereal Radiance

Vestal Radiance

Vitreous Radiance

I'm very excited! The full production run has begun on the coins and I just received word today that there will be a fourth version made. The reason this is so exciting is that this technique has never been used on geocoins before and it will bring them to a whole new level. It will introduce a completely new palette of colors that will approach and perhaps equal fine jewelry in their quality.

Solar Radiance

Sidereal Radiance

Vestal Radiance

Vitreous Radiance

I'll definitely buy some when they are available.

Solar Radiance

Sidereal Radiance

Vestal Radiance

Vitreous Radiance

Which are which, pray tell? B)

AND do you have pictures of the 4th version? :ph34r:

CF30

Do tell...

About what, the new technique? I doubt that anyone has been paying close attention to my old posts, but I have been talking about it for a while and have already pretty much given it away. However, it is probably more fun to leave a little mystery and they should be available in the not too distant future. I ordered this finish without seeing samples, so I am not sure yet how it will turn out. What I do know is that it costs more, is much more durable, opens up many colors that have not been seen before, and ancient examples can be found in museums and private collections. This technique has been used for some of the great masterpieces of art.

Thanks to everyone who has been saying all of the kind words about these coins. I hope that all of you like them as much in person.

Solar Radiance

Sidereal Radiance

Vestal Radiance

Vitreous Radiance

Which are which, pray tell? B)

I like playing with words, so I'll have a small cointest. The first person who can match up the edition names with the finishes and explain in sufficient detail why each name goes with the finish will get a free Dawning Hope Traveler coin of their choosing. They will also need to explain what the fourth finish is. I don't expect this to be impossible or even all that difficult, but I could be wrong. The first two names are probably easier and the third and fourth probably won't take too much Google searching.

I'll give this a go. :)

Solar radiance - Gold, radiates like the sun

Sidereal radiance - Silver, shining like the stars

Vestal radiance - Copper, warm like Vesta's hearth (Roman goddess of the hearth)

Vitreous Radiance - Mystery, using a porcelain (glass) enamel finish

Wow, that was quick. I thought it wouldn't be too hard, but I expected that "Vestal" would trip up some people.

Yes, gold reflects the light of the sun, nickel (silver) reflects the light of the stars, copper reflects the light of the hearth, and vitreous means glassy.

The fourth finish will be real cloisonne, which is glass fused onto the metal in an 800 degrees C (1470 degrees F) furnace. I have already listed many of the reasons that silica glass is a better finish than the resins that all other coins use for color, but one that will be immediately apparent is that there are a large number of new transparent colors that are different than the 24 current colors.

I'll send you your choice from the four finishes when the shipment arrives.

I'll give this a go. :)

Solar radiance - Gold, radiates like the sun

Sidereal radiance - Silver, shining like the stars

Vestal radiance - Copper, warm like Vesta's hearth (Roman goddess of the hearth)

Vitreous Radiance - Mystery, using a porcelain (glass) enamel finish

Wow, that was quick. I thought it wouldn't be too hard, but I expected that "Vestal" would trip up some people.

Yes, gold reflects the light of the sun, nickel (silver) reflects the light of the stars, copper reflects the light of the hearth, and vitreous means glassy.

The fourth finish will be real cloisonne, which is glass fused onto the metal in an 800 degrees C (1470 degrees F) furnace. I have already listed many of the reasons that silica glass is a better finish than the resins that all other coins use for color, but one that will be immediately apparent is that there are a large number of new transparent colors that are different than the 24 current colors.

I'll send you your choice from the four finishes when the shipment arrives.

Other exceptional pieces of high quality!

Congrats anne.and.eli! :surprise:

Excited to discover that real cloisonné will be used for the vitreous coins. Can't wait to see them! I like the simple design of these, have always liked this type of curve, leafy flourish and colour together.

I have not seen the cloisonne in person yet, but I did see a mint photograph and judging by the picture, it looks great. I also ordered an actual sample plate of all 120 colors available so I will be able to see exactly what the glass looks like when designing future coins. I am hoping that when people see this technique, other coin designers will also use it, because it makes for a much more durable coin. The glass not only holds up over time, but it is also much harder meaning that it will not be scratched as easily. Glass is harder than steel and thus cannot be scratched by a knife. Epoxy can be scratched by almost anything. The biggest drawback with cloisonne is that it cannot be stoned (ground flat), so cloisonne coins will not be quite as smooth as imitation hard enamel coins.

The coins arrived today!

They turned out better than my expectations. I would like to get these up for sale soon, but I need to make sure that the icon and title is ready first.

The glass (cloisonne) turned out very well. The glass colors are indeed different than the epoxy colors that you see in most other coins. The cloisonne is great in that it is very hard and will not scratch easily. It will also be very durable and can be expected to last for hundreds or even thousand of years. The draw back is that the colors are not quite as bright as epoxy, but in a few decades the glass will still look great while the epoxy will not. A side effect of the coin being heated in a furnace to melt the glass is that it warps a bit. It simply is not as flat as other coins. On the whole, however, I am extremely happy with the glass on metal.

Something else cool arrived. I ordered a sample of all 120 glass colors. It is a neat little book made of cardboard and foam that holds the metal and glass samples. Cardboard and foam may sound cheap, but it is actually a lot of fun to hold and look at. It will also be indispensable for making future cloisonne coins. A bunch of pictures follow:

IMG_9923glasssamplesmall.jpg

The cloisonne sample book

IMG_9933GoldFrontsmall.jpg

Gold Front

IMG_9930GoldBacksmall.jpg

Gold Back

IMG_9947NickelFrontsmall.jpg

Nickel Front

IMG_9949NickelBacksmall.jpg

Nickel Back

IMG_9936CopperFrontsmall.jpg

Copper Front

IMG_9937CopperBacksmall.jpg

Copper Back

IMG_9945GlassFrontsmall.jpg

Glass Front (please note that glass can only be put on one side, so this side is regular epopxy)

IMG_9942GlassBacksmall.jpg

Glass Back (this is the glass side)

I see what you mean about the colour being different. at first glance from the pictures there, I prefer the epoxy colours but I think perhaps I would feel differently when handling them. So..if the glass coin is cold, and is dropped onto stone, is there a danger it would crack and some of the enamel/glaze fall out?

I see what you mean about the colour being different. at first glance from the pictures there, I prefer the epoxy colours but I think perhaps I would feel differently when handling them. So..if the glass coin is cold, and is dropped onto stone, is there a danger it would crack and some of the enamel/glaze fall out?

Glass is glass and can break. However, when glass is backed by something firm it can be much more resistant to breaking than most people imagine. For instance, my mother has a bunch of Japanese glass floats used for fishing nets. They are glass balls, but they are nearly impossible to break because of their thickness. Also think of porcelain cups, they can break easily, but porcelain tile when properly backed by a good subfloor is walked on and takes all sorts of abuse without breaking. Cloisonne is the same way. The metal gives the glass strength, so it can be broken, but not very easily.

Very cool! This new way of adding in color is very interesting.

I just now counted and there are 32 transparent glass colors and 88 opaque colors. On the samples, the transparent all seem to be on shiny nickel and some of the effects are astounding. Several of the colors make the nickel look like it is actually copper, gold, or bronze. The effect is unlike anything I have ever seen with epoxy. This really has the potential to create effects that have never been seen before on geocoins. I can imagine that some artists would be able to make coins that resemble fine jewelry. I guess I should not be surprised since this is the method used to make real Faberge eggs.

Make geocoins of high quality materials is very attractive -in fact I like your coins by this, and by the artistic expression-, very interesting the techniques of which you speak, very fine, ...however, in this way, it will be more expensive for the designer, and also for the final buyer, or not?

Make geocoins of noble metals and precious stones, fine jewelry with track number ...is an idea worthy of careful consideration. But is not accessible to most people, I think.

Make geocoins of high quality materials is very attractive -in fact I like your coins by this, and by the artistic expression-, very interesting the techniques of which you speak, very fine, ...however, in this way, it will be more expensive for the designer, and also for the final buyer, or not?

Make geocoins of noble metals and precious stones, fine jewelry with track number ...is an idea worthy of careful consideration. But is not accessible to most people, I think.

With this coin, I want it to be inexpensive. I still need to crunch the numbers, but I expect that the regular versions and the glass version will all be under $10.00 each and that is being conservative. I think that you will like the final price.

Nobel metals, hmmmmm. I have been thinking for a while of making a solid silver geocoin, but I don't think that the mints offer silver as an option. It would not appeal to the average cacher, but when you see what geocoins go for on e-bay, I think that there is a market for solid silver coins.

Edited by GregsonVaux

With this coin, I want it to be inexpensive. I still need to crunch the numbers, but I expect that the regular versions and the glass version will all be under $10.00 each and that is being conservative. I think that you will like the final price.

Nobel metals, hmmmmm. I have been thinking for a while of making a solid silver geocoin, but I don't think that the mints offer silver as an option. It would not appeal to the average cacher, but when you see what geocoins go for on e-bay, I think that there is a market for solid silver coins.

Nice design with high quality and good price ... sure I like it! :grin:

The coins are now for sale at the following link:

http://www.gregsonvaux.com/Dawning_Hope_Traveler/cat517606_776618.aspx

Please note that the set contains three of the four coins. In order to get all four, you will also need to buy the Vitreous Radiance coin.

I hope you enjoy them. If anyone has any problems, questions, suggestions, or thinks that something is not worded quite right, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Edited by GregsonVaux