Suggestion: Don't allow log deletions

McCaughan Family

Hello All!

The [delete] on log entries is too easy. I've had email notifications about caches or TBs and by the time I view the page the reference is gone.

Instead of deleting a log entry, would it not be more prudent to "archive" the log entry. Users visiting the cache page would not be able to see the archived entry. Owners of the cache would see the log entry with a line through it.

The cache owner could "undelete" ("un-archive" rather) the log entry.

This would also help solve the problem of lost miles on travelbugs by accidental deletion of log entries.

As a database programmer and web application developer, I would happily lend my resources to helping on such a modification.

Doug of McCaughan Family

Geocaching Families of East TN

It's good to know a record of all logs is kept. I still think it would be nice for the cache owner to see the deleted log (struck through) even if the cache owner couldn't recover it or edit it.

Perhaps on the front end where users see it a note could say "Log by CachersName Deleted"

I like trippy1976's idea of being notified when a log is deleted.

Doug of McCaughan Family

Geocaching Families of East TN

My complaint relates to the fact that if the owner deletes the log you also "lose" credit for the find. I ticked off one cacher and he deleted all my finds (current and old) for any of his caches. Seems like there should be a way to prevent arbitrary acts of retribution.

She said, "Give up caching, or don't come home." Dang I am gonna miss her!

1008879416.gifpsublue.gif2043_1200.jpg7_Svet.gif