Do I have the wrong GPS?

mhbasye

I am new to geocaching and I just bought a Garmin Nuvi. I have only been out on three "treasure hunts" but have only been successful on one of them. Even then, my GPS only helped me to get within an area about the size of a large residential lot. Is it normal to have to search that far, or even farther? Is there a certain type of GPS that would be more accurate? I hoped to take my grand children on a treasure hunt when they come to visit but they are only 6 and 4 and won't have inough patience to search such a large area. I had expected that it would be sorta more like the GPS telling me if I am getting "warmer" or "colder". Do I have the wrong GPS, or just the wrong idea about how to play this game?

Today's GPS devices should get you within a circle that has perhaps a 10 to 15 foot radius. Sometimes it will be better, other times worse. A "large residential lot" sounds not so hot. But the usual practice is when your GPS says you're at ground zero, put it down and start looking in likely places.

The Nuvi is a fine automobile GPS, but most Nuvi models do not lend themselves as well to geocaching as the handheld devices. If you can input coordinates, though, it can be used (and I would think be as accurate as most other GPS devices). What model do you have? I'm also wondering if it is affected by trying to stick it's location to the nearest street in its map database. I'm not familiar with Nuvi use in geocaching, but I suspect you have to put it in pedestrian mode.

Edit to add: Oh! Asked twice...now I see why no responses to this one.

Edited by embra

Do you have a mobilephone with GPS?

Try Geocaching Live at Live.geocaching.com

I have been using this for 1½ year, and it works great. It works online or ofline as you wish. On the homepage, you can download a program that rip maps for offline use (you don't have to buy maps). When you've found a cache, you can mark it as found, and upload to the server, and finish logging at at home(gain, no paper).

You don't have to plan caching. Just start up this program, and search for nearby caches.

Some talk about battery life. After 4 hours my phone used 50-60% (SE Hazel)

GPS-precision says 1-6 meters.

Love paperles geocaching

I won't go back to an "ordinary" GPS.