Geocaching.com Google Map

k.f.boom

Is this what you are talking about? If so, please cast your vote to show how important it is to get this fixed!

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the link.

My vote is definitely to return the found cache symbols to the map.

To be clear: it isn't something they deliberately changed. It is indeed a bug... a side effect of other changes they made.

To be clear: it isn't something they deliberately changed. It is indeed a bug... a side effect of other changes they made.

No, they deliberately took them off. Not a bug. The only "bug" is in their management in that they missed upgrading their resources in time.

Edited by dfx

No, they deliberately took them off. Not a bug. The only "bug" is in their management in that they missed upgrading their resources in time.

That is part of the "personalization" that they removed? That's absurd! That feature goes back as far as I can remember. I thought they were just removing the new stuff in an attempt to let the old features like Found caches return.

That is part of the "personalization" that they removed? That's absurd! That feature goes back as far as I can remember. I thought they were just removing the new stuff in an attempt to let the old features like Found caches return.

Anther Jeremy FB post:

We made some last minute performance improvements for Pocket Queries to hold us over until we can get the new database server (and add other bigger performance improvements). We hope this will help us get through the Easter rush.

Also you'll notice that the default map link goes to the beta maps. This is intentional since the older maps are pretty aggressively hitting the database, while the new maps don't.

Yes my bespectacled friend that knows Chad, five weeks ago, when the site was reduced to a crawl, and 45 second page loads, they intentionally disabled the map personalization. Over the last four weekend, they held on as long as they could and eventually disabled the feature, This weekend, they disabled it on Friday morning. I guess they were simply trying to offset the inevitable.

Word is that Mega hamsters will be online in early May.

I received the following from admin.

The link for beta maps works and I have my personalization back.

"planned

The addition of many new major features plus the record traffic levels we're experiencing has caused some serious performance issues for the site. Some features like the personalization of the maps have been disabled temporarily just to allow the site to function. Fixing these and other performance issues is a top priority.

In the meantime, you can access the beta map (http://www.geocaching.com/map/beta) and still have personalization. (However, keep in mind that display of PMO caches has not yet been implemented on the beta map.)

Moun10Bike

Admin, Geocaching"

Edited by k.f.boom

Yes my bespectacled friend that knows Chad, five weeks ago, when the site was reduced to a crawl, and 45 second page loads, they intentionally disabled the map personalization. Over the last four weekend, they held on as long as they could and eventually disabled the feature, This weekend, they disabled it on Friday morning. I guess they were simply trying to offset the inevitable.

Word is that Mega hamsters will be online in early May.

I read "map personalization" as referring to simply not remembering which checkboxes I had marked last time I used the maps. The functionality to show found caches is essential.

Well, no matter how much gnashing of teeth the end users may be doing, after the recent investment in new infrastructure (which, I assume was hugely expensive), there is plenty of gnashing going on in the Lily pond as well over this.

BUNCH OF BUMS at Groundspeak, stop trying to act like Google creating all this stupid Beta map-crap trying to change things because it's affecting everything like loading smiley's or even clicking on the actual cache icon doesn't open up that box that allows you to click on the link of cache name so many times cannot even view the dadgum thing...just go back to normal!!

Sorry Groundspeak, but this is pretty stupid.

I can use the old map, and not be able to see which caches I have already done (or own), or use the "beta" (as in "not really ready to use yet") maps and not see PMO caches.

Please get your act together and get ALL the info available on one map or the other...pick something and stay with it. :mad:

Edited by Bobfireman

BUNCH OF BUMS at Groundspeak, stop trying to act like Google creating all this stupid Beta map-crap trying to change things because it's affecting everything like loading smiley's or even clicking on the actual cache icon doesn't open up that box that allows you to click on the link of cache name so many times cannot even view the dadgum thing...just go back to normal!!

Wow, I'm sure calling them a bunch of bums is really going to motivate them to work harder to solve this issue.

Wow, I'm sure calling them a bunch of bums is really going to motivate them to work harder to solve this issue.

I really don't think so. I understand where you are coming from, but really, I think that calling them a bunch of bums will only serve to make them waste a bunch of time laughing about it. I can see Nate sending out for coffee and donuts for everyone while they run around the office making "bum" jokes instead of working on the problems. No... calling them "bums" is not going to help a thing... I'm sure of it.

Name calling here won't do very much good, and if it crosses the line, will lead to discipline for violating the forum guidelines. You should communicate with Groundspeak using the Feedback Forum, such as by posting a response to this suggestion.

As has been explained previously, Jeremy has just posted the explanation in that feedback thread:

Turn personalization on. It shows your finds overlaid with a smiley, just like the old maps.

We switched to the beta maps for the weekend since the older maps hit our database so hard that the rest of the site would become unusable. Instead of basically no geocaching at all, we removed the finds on the old maps and switched to the beta maps which do show your finds.

Pocket Queries are running fine, and so is the nearest cache page. You can even run a PQ and display the results on the old map, filtering your finds, by type, or whatever other way you like. There are plenty of ways to get your caches for the day if you use other tools on the site.

Groundspeak is also working on a long-term solution for website performance, as previously announced. In the meantime, thanks for your patience with this interim band-aid solution.

Is this what you are talking about? If so, please cast your vote to show how important it is to get this fixed!

I also brought up on that forum about not dating those posts. Makes it tough to not know how old that message was. When you look at it, it could have been posted 5 min ago or 5 years.

Name calling here won't do very much good, and if it crosses the line, will lead to discipline for violating the forum guidelines. You should communicate with Groundspeak using the Feedback Forum, such as by posting a response to this suggestion.

As has been explained previously, Jeremy has just posted the explanation in that feedback thread:

Turn personalization on. It shows your finds overlaid with a smiley, just like the old maps.

We switched to the beta maps for the weekend since the older maps hit our database so hard that the rest of the site would become unusable. Instead of basically no geocaching at all, we removed the finds on the old maps and switched to the beta maps which do show your finds.

Pocket Queries are running fine, and so is the nearest cache page. You can even run a PQ and display the results on the old map, filtering your finds, by type, or whatever other way you like. There are plenty of ways to get your caches for the day if you use other tools on the site.

Groundspeak is also working on a long-term solution for website performance, as previously announced. In the meantime, thanks for your patience with this interim band-aid solution.

Interesting. I used Geocaching.com Google Maps quite a bit, but I didn't think very many other people did. What do I know? Forget the smilies, they're actually making me see ignored caches! What's up with that? Unacceptable. OK, not really. :P

Interesting. I used Geocaching.com Google Maps quite a bit, but I didn't think very many other people did. What do I know? Forget the smilies, they're actually making me see ignored caches! What's up with that? Unacceptable. OK, not really. :P

Ok, as long as it is being worked on I have complete confidence in GC. I am no able to pull the BETA map up though. We love geocaching.

Ok, as long as it is being worked on I have complete confidence in GC. I am no able to pull the BETA map up though. We love geocaching.

Ok I tried all that..Turned on personalization, but apparently it is missing caches now too. there is one area I was looking at that has over 50 caches but the Beta Map doesn't show them all...Is it because they are Premium? Here is an Example: GC2RWZM...GIVE US BACK THE Geocaching.com Google maps with the smiley faces, it's really messing us up.

Just checked the Beta Map, even with personalization on, a find which was logged online last Tuesday is now showing as "not found." Maybe I didn't zoom in far enough...but I shouldn't have to! And I am missing the PMO caches - we don't want to be in an area and miss one cache.

When is the next site upgrade due? I am trying to be be patient and understanding..........

I really don't think so. I understand where you are coming from, but really, I think that calling them a bunch of bums will only serve to make them waste a bunch of time laughing about it. I can see Nate sending out for coffee and donuts for everyone while they run around the office making "bum" jokes instead of working on the problems. No... calling them "bums" is not going to help a thing... I'm sure of it.

Here is a suggestion I have had for a long time, but never mentioned it. I had noticed for the few years that I have been on geocaching.com that the maps sometimes were very slow to update. That observation, and these threads seem to make it clear that the geocaching.com servers are having a difficult time updating all of the caches on the maps.

Here is the suggestion that I have always wished for:

While we navigate across a map allow map or zoom in and out, allow us to "turn off" automatic updating of the caches until we navigate to the spot that we want to see. That could result in an extremely reduced demand on the servers. I really don't need the map to update "Requesting geocaches...." until I am at the spot on the map where I want them.

Thanks for listening.

Here is the suggestion that I have always wished for:

While we navigate across a map allow map or zoom in and out, allow us to "turn off" automatic updating of the caches until we navigate to the spot that we want to see. That could result in an extremely reduced demand on the servers. I really don't need the map to update "Requesting geocaches...." until I am at the spot on the map where I want them.

Thanks for listening.

On the right side of the map screen, under Search Results, uncheck the box "Automatically Refresh Map". Feature's been there for a while.

my problem is some caches I have either found or not found are not even showing. Have seen examples of both. Most of the caches show up, but have seen a spot where there are 3 caches on a trail and I have found them all and only 2 show up (all traditionals, none ignored). Another spot which had 2 islands in a bay, both traditionals, neither I have found.....only 1 showed up.

The beta maps are better than nothing but caches are not showing up haphazardly.

Perhaps a way to handle this is turn off these features to the non premium members? I pay my dues every year and I want my dang maps back! They can call me unreasonable but not having enough band width or not keeping up with growth is not an acceptable answer to your customers!

This is very frustrating and there is not a whole lot I can do about it. However further stuff like this over time will make the other geocaching sites more viable all the time.

From a developer's perspective: online maps are some of the most difficult things to develop for any website. Google Maps is a pain in the neck, and I have a feeling they are developing the 'beta maps' to get away from that. I am sure they are working as hard as they can to fix it. It's easy for us all to sit here an complain when we don't have to work on it. Give 'em a break! it isn't like the whole game is ruined because personalization on the maps isn't work just right.

My goodness. :angry:

Jeremy posted this today on Facebook.

To the techies:

May 4th is the target date for our new database server, which will have 4 10 core processors and Fusion-io solid state drives. On the software side we're offloading most of our data to Membase, Memcache and MongoDB, but this is a longer term solution. Our new beta maps, for example, are stored in Membase.

To the techies:

May 4th is the target date for our new database server, which will have 4 10 core processors and Fusion-io solid state drives. On the software side we're offloading most of our data to Membase, Memcache and MongoDB, but this is a longer term solution. Our new beta maps, for example, are stored in Membase.

Thank you!!! I appreciate that you posted that!

Perhaps a way to handle this is turn off these features to the non premium members? I pay my dues every year and I want my dang maps back! They can call me unreasonable but not having enough band width or not keeping up with growth is not an acceptable answer to your customers!

This is very frustrating and there is not a whole lot I can do about it. However further stuff like this over time will make the other geocaching sites more viable all the time.

I agree. Most of my customers would leave if they paid for a something in advance and then I couldn't deliver it.

From a different topic:

Switching to the Beta Maps and turning off personalization on the current maps (showing your finds etc) was a response to the high traffic we experienced (and continue to experience) over the busy holiday weekend here in the US. While the Beta Maps are not yet fully featured, they are *much* more performant when placed under extreme load.

We recognize the current situation is inconvenient for some of our users, and we have two strategies to solve this:

1. Upgrade the database server to a brand new box (currently scheduled for this Wednesday)

2. Display PMO caches on the Beta Maps (short term) and finish up map development in the next development cycle (take it out of Beta)

Many thanks to everyone for your patience while we get back up to speed.

To the techies:

Hm, I've seen references to "the database server" several times now. If that's the case, if they have only one, then I'm not surprised that the site comes to a crawl every now and then. That would be a significant scalability problem.