Cut N Paste Logs

I thought you would just be happy someone was responding to your posts and not care so much about the content. That is in part what you have been championing. Guess content does matter. Who knew!

You would be wrong. And if you were paying attention, you would realize that I would rather you not post at all as there was nothing to compel you to post.

Quite a different beast.

I have been championing a way to allow people to log their find without requiring them to post a log.

I thought you would just be happy someone was responding to your posts and not care so much about the content. That is in part what you have been championing. Guess content does matter. Who knew!

You would be wrong. And if you were paying attention, you would realize that I would rather you not post at all as there was nothing to compel you to post.

Quite a different beast.

I have been championing a way to allow people to log their find without requiring them to post a log.

I said in part. I had to add another post, since you didn't catch on the 1st time. Must have been too esoteric. I think no post, cnp or tftc only fall under the same category, so in my book, a "blah" response should have no meaning to you except that I acknowledged that I read your post. "blah" in itself can mean anything I want it too.

I said in part. I had to add another post, since you didn't catch on the 1st time. Must have been too esoteric. I think no post, cnp or tftc only fall under the same category, so in my book, a "blah" response should have no meaning to you except that I acknowledged that I read your post. "blah" in itself can mean anything I want it too.

meh.

Blah was not offensive. Your explanation of blah is what was offensive, as well as your "Must have been too esoteric" comment.

Well since no cache owner has ever told me that my logs are a good I will just do cut and paste logs. I want thanks from you if I take the time to write you a nice note!

Sarcasim turned off................but I am sure you all get my point. Its a game have fun with it. If you take it too seriously it's no longer a game and you should get out before your blood pressure gets too high.

Well since no cache owner has ever told me that my logs are a good I will just do cut and paste logs. I want thanks from you if I take the time to write you a nice note!

Sarcasim turned off................but I am sure you all get my point. Its a game have fun with it. If you take it too seriously it's no longer a game and you should get out before your blood pressure gets too high.

#1 - Happy Birthday!

#2 - Thanks!

#1 - You're welcome!

#2 - Thanks.

#1 - You're welcome!

#2 - Thanks.

#1 - You really don't need to respond to everything I post.

#2 - Yes, I know, thanks.

CO places a cache. Cachers find it and log finds and notes. CO does not need to reply to each find and note. CO can expect to receive find logs that express no appreciation for placing said cache.

My grandparents wrote letter. My parents used a typewriter to write letters. I use email to write letters. Tweeting and texting is to short for a sensible form of a complete letter.

Point is - writing a whole letter instead of broken fragmented parts of a sentence is still polite. Whatever form of communication is used.

That is your opinion. My generation grew up with texting and Facebook. I see TFTC the same as the Like button in Facebook. It conveys that I enjoyed your cache. If I want to say more, then I can. But if I don't, that should be fine too.

How sad that anybody of any age would equate a little "thumbs up" icon with the actual exchange of a handful of polite words by another means.

How sad that there are so many people reading more into what is being communicated than what is actually being communicated.

If someone replies to your post with '+1' it means that he agreed with you. There's no need to explain this agreement further.

If someone hits the 'like' button, it means that he liked what you had to say. There's no need to use a 'handful of words' to communicate this message.

If someone leaves a blank find log it means that he found the cache.

If someone types 'TFTC' in his find , then it means he found it and is telling you 'Thanks for the cache'.

Edited by sbell111
While I understand the official stance and I would never delete any cut and paste logs - I still find them lazy and disrespectful.

Seriously, look at the cache page and a map - if you can't remember anything about it a few hours later with the cache page and map as an aid, sounds like you wasted your own time. I suspect most such loggers are just far too interested in the smiley to worry about writing a few words - nothing to do with a poor memory.

GASP!! :o You can't mean...?:o How can I...? :o You expect me to...? :o OMG!!! :o This is going to take more than thirty seconds!!! I don't have that kind of time!!! If I am to find more than fifty roadside film cannisters in a day I can't be bothered with actually TYPING A RESPONSE!!!

This is going to totally detract from the amount of time I spend looking at my smilies on the map and feeling all warm and fuzzy over my accomplishments.

Geez, I might have to actually THANK someone??? Next thing you will expect me to actually OPEN the container and SIGN the log!!!!!! :blink: Where will it all end!!! Good grief!:mad:

One more person who doesn't understand that 'TFTC'is an acronym.
I understand what TFTC means and that's it's an acronym. To me, when someone shortens "thanks for the cache" to a four letter acronym it indicates that it's from someone that can't even take the time to type 20 additional characters.
Again, if a person chooses to read more into the written word than is actually there, he does it at his own peril.

Oh the irony!

sbell111 I would think someone of your self proclaimed intellectual superiority would recognize someone being facetious when you read it. I know full well what TFTC means. I use it nearly every time I log. I also show the cache owner the simple courtesy of posting a few words more in appreciation. A concept you don't seem to understand.

I have shown the same courtesy to you in not attempting to belittle you by mocking your posts, or your opinions. You seem to wander the forums looking for someone to argue with. Keep looking.

In your earlier post, you were pretty clear that you did not feel that 'TFTC' wasan attempt to communicate the finder's 'thanks for the cache'. In your later post, you stated that you nearly always include 'TFTC' in your logs.

1. When you use 'tftc' in your logs, do you mean it to stand for 'thanks for the cache'?
  2. How do you know that the other finders don't use it to mean 'thanks for the cache'?
  3. If they do use it to mean 'thanks for the cache', how can you state that they are not thanking someone?

I'll bet if all cache owners but one pulled all of their caches, you would thank that one cache owner. They hid it, they (hopefully) maintain it... thank them.

That's a point I made earlier about there being too many caches. Maybe if there were less caches, cachers would be more thankful. But when you have an over abundance it dilutes the "thankful" pool, so to speak.

It isn't a matter of where I live... it is a matter of when I've lived. It is pretty standard here these days, too. But that has not always been the case. The clerk has a job only because people spend their money there, instead of that place down the street.

I think you are right. My grandfather felt like that and my dad is beginning to talk like him too. I don't know if it the times though or your perspective. Because for me, this is how things are. I haven't seen enough changes to start thinking about how things used to be.

But if you found it worth taking something (a smiley) for, then you should find it worth giving something (thanks) for.

Maybe you're right. And maybe my opinion will change when I get around to hiding my first cache. And I do try to write something. I just think the CO would prefer I right what I really feel and not just something to appease him.

First, let me say that I very much appreciate that you are willing to listen to other opinions. I give you high praise for that!

Second, though... what is a "thankfulness pool"? Does the newer generation come with a limited amount of thankfulness that they must carefully distribute to only the most worthy? If so, that's a real shame. We came with an infinite amount of thankfulness, although many didn't care to use it. Some learned, though, that thanking others made their own lives richer.

I don't think that was the point he was making. Consider this:

I have a staff of about thirty. One of the things that I do to thank my staff for their hard work and keep them motivated to work hard, I had been throwing an ice cream sundae party monthly. Early on, it seemed to be working. People were generally happy and willing to work hard for the team. After a while, however, the monthly treat just became expected. It became the status quo and some actually requested more elaborate (and expensive) rewards.

blah

+1

Oh the irony. :)

It was directed as a response to your numerous posts on this subject.

I was referring to the +1.

But since you mentioned it, I consider your post to be rude. If you think I post too much, don't read my posts.

I thought that you were trying to be rude to B+L. Who knew?

#1 - Happy Birthday!

#2 - Thanks!

#1 - You're welcome!

#2 - Thanks.

#1 - You're welcome!

#2 - Thanks.

#1 - You really don't need to respond to everything I post.

#2 - Yes, I know, thanks.

CO places a cache. Cachers find it and log finds and notes. CO does not need to reply to each find and note. CO can expect to receive find logs that express no appreciation for placing said cache.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that he does reply to good logs.

blah

+1

Oh the irony. :)

It was directed as a response to your numerous posts on this subject.

I was referring to the +1.

But since you mentioned it, I consider your post to be rude. If you think I post too much, don't read my posts.

It's amazing how things can be misconstrued.

Edited by M 5

How sad that anybody of any age would equate a little "thumbs up" icon with the actual exchange of a handful of polite words by another means.

How sad that there are so many people reading more into what is being communicated than what is actually being communicated.

If someone replies to your post with '+1' it means that he agreed with you. There's no need to explain this agreement further.

If someone hits the 'like' button, it means that he liked what you had to say. There's no need to use a 'handful of words' to communicate this message.

If someone types 'TFTC' in his find , then it means he found it and is telling you 'Thanks for the cache'.

+1

I don't think that was the point he was making. Consider this:

I have a staff of about thirty. One of the things that I do to thank my staff for their hard work and keep them motivated to work hard, I had been throwing an ice cream sundae party monthly. Early on, it seemed to be working. People were generally happy and willing to work hard for the team. After a while, however, the monthly treat just became expected. It became the status quo and some actually requested more elaborate (and expensive) rewards.

+1

It's amazing how things can be misconstrued.

Especially when you are posting in a threaded discussion board 3 posts after the one you are referring to and don't bother to quote the post you were referring to.

P.S. I finally figured out multi-quotes.

:lol:

F this elistist BS. Delete my account!

I hope you guys are proud of yourselves. mresoteric argued his point well, for the most part politely, and eloquently. Just because you don't agree with his point of view regarding logs, you chose to insult, sneer and laugh at him. Well done. Another proud moment in the forums history.

Edit to add that "you guys" refer to a few in this thread, not everyone. There's been many good discussions from both sides.

Edited by Chrysalides

I hope you guys are proud of yourselves. mresoteric argued his point well, for the most part politely, and eloquently. Just because you don't agree with his point of view regarding logs, you chose to insult, sneer and laugh at him. Well done. Another proud moment in the forums history.

Edit to add that "you guys" refer to a few in this thread, not everyone. There's been many good discussions from both sides.

+1

+1

+2

While I understand the official stance and I would never delete any cut and paste logs - I still find them lazy and disrespectful.

Seriously, look at the cache page and a map - if you can't remember anything about it a few hours later with the cache page and map as an aid, sounds like you wasted your own time. I suspect most such loggers are just far too interested in the smiley to worry about writing a few words - nothing to do with a poor memory.

GASP!! :o You can't mean...?:o How can I...? :o You expect me to...? :o OMG!!! :o This is going to take more than thirty seconds!!! I don't have that kind of time!!! If I am to find more than fifty roadside film cannisters in a day I can't be bothered with actually TYPING A RESPONSE!!!

This is going to totally detract from the amount of time I spend looking at my smilies on the map and feeling all warm and fuzzy over my accomplishments.

Geez, I might have to actually THANK someone??? Next thing you will expect me to actually OPEN the container and SIGN the log!!!!!! :blink: Where will it all end!!! Good grief!:mad:

I understand what TFTC means and that's it's an acronym. To me, when someone shortens "thanks for the cache" to a four letter acronym it indicates that it's from someone that can't even take the time to type 20 additional characters.
Again, if a person chooses to read more into the written word than is actually there, he does it at his own peril.

Oh the irony!

sbell111 I would think someone of your self proclaimed intellectual superiority would recognize someone being facetious when you read it. I know full well what TFTC means. I use it nearly every time I log. I also show the cache owner the simple courtesy of posting a few words more in appreciation. A concept you don't seem to understand.

I have shown the same courtesy to you in not attempting to belittle you by mocking your posts, or your opinions. You seem to wander the forums looking for someone to argue with. Keep looking.

In your earlier post, you were pretty clear that you did not feel that 'TFTC' wasan attempt to communicate the finder's 'thanks for the cache'. In your later post, you stated that you nearly always include 'TFTC' in your logs.

1. When you use 'tftc' in your logs, do you mean it to stand for 'thanks for the cache'?
  2. How do you know that the other finders don't use it to mean 'thanks for the cache'?
  3. If they do use it to mean 'thanks for the cache', how can you state that they are not thanking someone?

Once again... for the comprehensively challenged....and the argument determined... My EXACT point was... I DO NOT feel TFTC is ENOUGH.

Nowhere in my posts do you see me demanding that YOU post anything more than you want.. Or anything at all for that matter. If you read it again, you will see I was poking fun at people who feel its too much to ask of them to post anything more than TFTC. Like a few additional words is such a trial.

If it doesn't bother you to post nothing, then power to you. The point I was trying to add to the discussion was my personal opinion. I post TFTC on nearly every online log, and also in the cache log itself. Now pay attention here... I ALSO post some additional words, even if they are patronizing, insincere drivel.

I am not going to debate the pointless theory that posting insincerely is worse than posting nothing. I merely posted my opinion. I feel no responsibility to justify the thought basis of it to anyone, especially you. YOUR conscience guides you, mine guides me.

Back on ignore you go. The only reason you got off was I kept seeing my post quoted.

You might consider... when 6 of the previous 12 posts are yours... you might not be engaging in healthy debate.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

My grandparents wrote letter. My parents used a typewriter to write letters. I use email to write letters. Tweeting and texting is to short for a sensible form of a complete letter.

Point is - writing a whole letter instead of broken fragmented parts of a sentence is still polite. Whatever form of communication is used.

That is your opinion. My generation grew up with texting and Facebook. I see TFTC the same as the Like button in Facebook. It conveys that I enjoyed your cache. If I want to say more, then I can. But if I don't, that should be fine too.

Agreed, I guess, but in the laziest of ways. Apparently you support laziness. I don't.

Oh the irony!

Once again... for the comprehensively challenged....and the argument determined... My EXACT point was... I DO NOT feel TFTC is ENOUGH.

Nowhere in my posts do you see me demanding that YOU post anything more than you want.. Or anything at all for that matter. If you read it again, you will see I was poking fun at people who feel its too much to ask of them to post anything more than TFTC. Like a few additional words is such a trial.

If it doesn't bother you to post nothing, then power to you. The point I was trying to add to the discussion was my personal opinion. I post TFTC on nearly every online log, and also in the cache log itself. Now pay attention here... I ALSO post some additional words, even if they are patronizing, insincere drivel.

I am not going to debate the pointless theory that posting insincerely is worse than posting nothing. I merely posted my opinion. I feel no responsibility to justify the thought basis of it to anyone, especially you. YOUR conscience guides you, mine guides me.

Back on ignore you go. The only reason you got off was I kept seeing my post quoted.

You might consider... when 6 of the previous 12 posts are yours... you might not be engaging in healthy debate.

Honestly, from the tone of your posts it would appear that you are the one who is uninterested in participating in healthy communication. As for the issue of my having a number of posts in a group, that has more to do with my overloaded schedule than whether I am interested in having a healthy debate. Edited by sbell111

Agreed, I guess, but in the laziest of ways. Apparently you support laziness. I don't.
I support people logging in the casual way that they are comfortable with when playing a game. If that means that they use C&P logs or acronyms or short logs or no log verbiage at all, that's fine with me. There is no test at the end of the day and no salary increases will be determined by the uniqueness or verbosity of their logs, after all.

Things change. My grandparents write letters. My parents write emails. I tweet.

What some see as rudeness, others see as a natural extension of modern communication.

Exactly haven't these old farts heard of the X & Y generations. The only thing we can count on in the future is Change, it's coming so deal with it.

Scubasonic

What some see as rudeness, others see as a natural extension of modern communication.

Exactly haven't these old farts heard of the X & Y generations. The only thing we can count on in the future is Change, it's coming so deal with it.

Scubasonic

Too funny, my 78yr old aunt sends me emails that look like tweets, and she doesn't even know it. I'm not exactly an old fart, but I remember being required to write my grandparents a thank you letter for my Christmas and birthday gifts. That kind of died off and a phone call became acceptable. Now, my nieces send me email for the same purpose, but they write entire sentences, and put them in paragraphs.

I think the biggest problem with TFTC is that a certain number of cache hiders have come to equate it to the same thing as leaving a penny tip for the waitress that gave you lousy service. I personally take it at face value, and that the logger is either lazy, or just wants to get to the next smiley ASAP <- Oh, the irony.

Maybe it should be changed to TFTSmiley.

Edited by Don_J

I recently did a series of 11 caches and I wrote a relative descriptive of my whole experience in the first and then wrote in all but one other cache in the series to refer to my first one for a detail of my caching.

I have also sometimes written a decent piece in the logbooks and done a c&p to advise of this. Kind of encourages good maintenence to see what ive written.

I recently received this cut&paste log on a couple of caches.

Log Date: 4/21/2011

XXXXXXXXXX and I DID IT!!! We set out to complete 50 of the Seaway Trail caches in 72 hours and we did! We completed Erie on Wednesday night after 2 dark cold and windy caches along the lakefront! This was an awesome first night cache experience for me! I loved the sounds of the crashing waves behind me…even though I could not see them! I also enjoyed the view of the Brig Niagara!

Thursday mornings first cache was cold and snowy. We completed the timely BNF region by dinner time. We witnessed ice chunks in the water as well as a beautiful botanical garden that we will visit another time! This is also the region where we stopped and enjoyed the grapes of Niagara! Mmmm! We then did 5 caches in Rochester one of which was at night. This is where we met a friendly police officer who was checking our out of state plates when we came back to the car! He was thankful we weren’t teenagers romping around the woods. We then decided to drive to Watertown (with one eye open) to spend the night.

We started off Friday morning with the smelliest cache of the trip, not only was it right next to a zoo, a skunk had sprayed nearby. Needless to say we logged that one as quick as we could and dashed! We then headed into the Saint Lawrence/ Thousand Island Region. We had a beautiful sunny day and we were fascinated with the windmills, islands, light houses, and scenic views of the breathtaking blue and green water. It is there that we saw a bald eagle in its nest, numerous locks, and dams. We even went in a tunnel that had a large ship in the lock above us! It is also where I bit the dust on some wet moss on a rock, luckily I didn’t feel that until after we had finished the trip! We also made it to the 45th parallel which is as far north as either one of us has ever been! Luckily the park rangers let us in-they were loading docks into the water and made our hearts sink for a minute when they almost turned us away! We explained that we drove over 500 miles to get the geocache-then explained geocaching! We both got a giggle out of the man saying ‘Hope you win!’ as he walked away!!!

We headed back to the ELO region where we completed 8 more. This area was also beautiful. We were amazed at all of the flooding along the Sandy Creek-thank goodness the cache boxes were tied down!!! At dusk we asked a man walking his dog if there was anywhere nearby to eat/stay. His recommendation was great-we wish we would have talked to more locals because the food/room was nicer that the chain motels we had the 2 nights before! It also saved us from having to backtrack 35 miles to a larger city! And he told informed us of many interesting facts about the town of Phoenix. It was wonderful to run into someone that was as proud of his city as he was!

On Saturday we woke up early to finish the final 6 caches that we needed! Thank goodness we did because 2 of the caches were longer hikes. The first at the Chimney Bluffs-this was hands down one of our favorite spots sans the millions of mayflies!!! We also had a nice hike on a walking path and then crossed a bridge onto a hiking trail-this is where we saw snakes-I chose to hike a little faster on this one!

The Great Lake Seaway Trail was a blast! We packed a cooler of food and a bag of road trip goodies so we could eat in the car-luckily we did because some areas didn’t have much open! We look forward to heading back to some of the spots that we saw along our quick caching adventure. This was our first trail together and we enjoyed each cache! We had luck on our side in order to finish this as quickly as we did. Since it was off season there was not a lot of traffic. We also did not have to pay any State Park Fees. If you have any questions feel free to ask either one of us! We hope that you will share you adventures with us! This was wonderful! Thank you XXXXXXXXXX for intruding me to the world of geocaching a year ago! Congrats on #500! And Thank You Seaway Trail Sponsors!!!

Hmmm...as to the topic...I almost always take the time to post something personal about finding a cache. I have a little notebook where I scribble two or three "keywords" under the GC code that will (or is it which will?) remind me when I post my find which one I stepped into ankle-deep mud finding or which one I met a friendly muggle nearby or how nice was the day. I see it as a simple courtesy to the person who took the time to place the cache in the first place. I also enjoy glancing at the previous logs before I set out, and must admit I find TFTC not very scintillating reading, but I just do my thing.

Scubasonic

Too funny, my 78yr old aunt sends me emails that look like tweets, and she doesn't even know it. I'm not exactly an old fart, but I remember being required to write my grandparents a thank you letter for my Christmas and birthday gifts. That kind of died off and a phone call became acceptable. Now, my nieces send me email for the same purpose, but they write entire sentences, and put them in paragraphs.

Right. Getting an email from your neice that said just "TFTG" or maybe just "." because it's faster to type just a period would be disappointing. It would be more sincere if she acknowledged the actual gift with "Thanks for the $50". If my neice sent a "TFTG" or a "." or no email at all, then I'm not going to bother sending a present next year, since this year's gift had no impact.

Edited by Lone R

Too funny, locally, someone just started logging "Quick Grab at the top of the hill. TFTC!" on a bunch of flat land parking lot micros. It's sad when you can't even get your C&P right.

:laughing:

When I go on large caching runs through a "sea of monotony", I generally use a multiple-choice boilerplate so the CO can pick their own original logs. :rolleyes: :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3ba1ce84-6228-4bda-af45-8e6019ad7cef

then I'm not going to bother sending a present next year, since this year's gift had no impact.

Or send her a better gift next time that does get a response.*

Insert cache for gift and you may get a better response from the finders. (of course this doesn't work for everyone)

One thing though, banging on about it in here will not make one iota of a difference so it really, really isn't worth getting stressed about. I don't mean anyone in particular with that.

All that any cache owner can do if they want better logs is to try and place better caches or just accept the logs they are getting.

*I'm not impugning the quality of your gifts to your niece

Edited by Icenians

When I take my X & Y Generation daughters to dinner or a movie I have 1 requirement and that is that the Cell Phones remain in the car otherwise they will be TXTing throughout both events. This thread made me look at my last cell bill and my one daughter in the last billing cycle sent and or received 4331 TXT messages, yep 4331 I don't know about you but to me that is a lot i maybe do 200 total in a month maybe. Thank god for unlimited TXTING

Scubasonic

Too funny, locally, someone just started logging "Quick Grab at the top of the hill. TFTC!" on a bunch of flat land parking lot micros. It's sad when you can't even get your C&P right.

When I go on large caching runs through a "sea of monotony", I generally use a multiple-choice boilerplate so the CO can pick their own original logs. :rolleyes: :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3ba1ce84-6228-4bda-af45-8e6019ad7cef

I won't post a link, but I got a couple "TFTC" logs on my caches by an out of towner once. About a week later I stumbled on a listing for a missing cache in my area that was on their run. They logged their DNF with "TFTC" also. :D

I'll be willing to bet that if blank and only tftc or short cnp logs turn into the norm, cache quality and the amount of caches will lower.

That is a possibility. I remember when I first started, although not that long ago, it was much more common to write about your experiences in the actual physical logbook as well when you found a cache, and then to log an interesting log online. In a way I miss that. I love finding older caches and reading through the logbook to see what people had to say; and I still will write something if the logbook is large enough to.

My reason for bringing that up is that I see where you're coming from; if there's no need to write something nice in a physical logbook, the caches become smaller because the larger logbook isn't necessary. If writing something nice online isn't necessary, then the cache becomes less nice as a result.

The optimist in me would like to think though that there will still be enough of us around that enjoy hiding high quality fun to find caches, no matter how people log them online. :)

then I'm not going to bother sending a present next year, since this year's gift had no impact.

Insert cache for gift and you may get a better response from the finders. (of course this doesn't work for everyone)

One thing though, banging on about it in here will not make one iota of a difference so it really, really isn't worth getting stressed about. I don't mean anyone in particular with that.

All that any cache owner can do if they want better logs is to try and place better caches or just accept the logs they are getting.

Groundspeak can quit endorsing blank logs on smartphones and quit looking into adding that function to online logging. They could also regulate urban PNG's and powertrails. Those tend to be the more monotonous caches as a whole, even though I'm well aware that lame caches can be everywhere, its just that those types promote them and powertrails definatley promote and even in some cases encourage lame logs.

Edited by M 5

I'm not convinced that cache owners improving the quality of their caches will make much of difference in the number of terse, cut-n-paste logs.

Those that tend to write more descriptive logs, describing their experience, the uniqueness of the cache location or how it's hidden will continue to write more verbose logs and perhaps write better logs on higher quality caches.

Those that tend to write terse cut-n-paste logs will continue to write terse cut-n-paste logs even if the overall quality of the caches they've found improved. From what I've seen, those that tend to write cut-n-paste logs tend to write them for every cache they find. I've seen cut-n-paste logs on caches that are part of power trail that are identical to the logs posted on caches that are not part of the trail but just happened to be close enough that a seeker included it in their days outing. In one case I read cut-n-paste logs that mentioned that it was easy to find container...on an Earthcache.

Groundspeak can quit endorsing blank logs on smartphones and quit looking into adding that function to online logging. They could also regulate urban PNG's and powertrails. Those tend to be the more monotonous caches as a whole, even though I'm well aware that lame caches can be everywhere, its just that those types promote them and powertrails definatley promote and even in some cases encourage lame logs.

Right. Going back to the gift analogy - it's like my brother telling his daughter (my niece) that it's OK to send me a blank email message. The blank email message acknowledges that she got the gift and that's what matters.

Right. Going back to the gift analogy - it's like my brother telling his daughter (my niece) that it's OK to send me a blank email message. The blank email message acknowledges that she got the gift and that's what matters.

Not a good analogy, unless you set out the cache for one person, and expect that person to take the entire cache away with them.

Edited by Chrysalides

When I take my X & Y Generation daughters to dinner or a movie I have 1 requirement and that is that the Cell Phones remain in the car otherwise they will be TXTing throughout both events.

Exactly!

We're discussing "Cut N Paste" logs here, not short logs. Short logs are fine to me as long as they indicate something unique. A log like:

Fnd it. Got wet. LOLZ.

Would be fine by me.

In fact, I find long cut-n-paste logs more annoying than short ones or blank ones. Future finders might have to read through the whole thing looking for some actual info to help with their search, only to find reams of boilerplate.

I'm not convinced that cache owners improving the quality of their caches will make much of difference in the number of terse, cut-n-paste logs.

If this was the case I should be seeing a few TFTC or blank logs on my caches. I don't. My simplest cache has 160 logs on it and not one of those is a TFTC. Sure, some of them are short but the vast majority are reasonable length logs.

My other caches don't attract many finders largely due to where they live. One of those has almost every finder using 2 logs to log their find as their log is so long.

Agreed that if your cache just happens to be in the unfortunate position of a quick grab along a power trail then you will get treated the same as the other caches, just one more in a line of unmemorable caches. The solution to that is to make something about the cache stand out so that people do remember it.

To be honest, I've done a power trail and tried at the start to note something down about each cache but simply gave up in the end as many times not a lot happens when walking 0.1 of a mile between fence posts.

Not a good analogy, unless you set out the cache for one person, and expect that person to take the entire cache away with them.

The analogy is more about Groundspeak endorsing blank logs. That's equivalent to saying that when someone provides a gift in the form of a cache (good or bad) it's OK to not acknowledge the COs efforts or provide feedback to the CO. What matters is that you got your smiley.

When I take my X & Y Generation daughters to dinner or a movie I have 1 requirement and that is that the Cell Phones remain in the car otherwise they will be TXTing throughout both events.

Exactly!

We're discussing "Cut N Paste" logs here, not short logs. Short logs are fine to me as long as they indicate something unique. A log like:

Fnd it. Got wet. LOLZ.

Would be fine by me.

In fact, I find long cut-n-paste logs more annoying than short ones or blank ones. Future finders might have to read through the whole thing looking for some actual info to help with their search, only to find reams of boilerplate.

+1

But you are impugning the quality of the caches that get lame logs. I have received blank and TFTC logs for some highly "favorited" caches.

Example:

http://www.geocachin...d0-35cd9ffcd03e

Read the rest of the logs. 14 favorites.

I could provide more examples, but this should prove the point that I'm trying to make. It isn't always lame caches that get lame logs.

Edited to add an example of a fun. creative log (more correctly, logs) I posted on one of a series of parking lot LPCs:

First log: http://www.geocachin...de-72afd264ba16

Second log: http://www.geocachin...a7-a7ab3288506b

Final log: http://www.geocachin...a7-a7ab3288506b

Edited by knowschad

I recently received this cut&paste log on a couple of caches.

I personally feel that that post was much more interesting to read than "slipped on a mossy stone getting this cache, laughed a little"

Yeah. The point is that it was a log that some thought and effort went into. Although everyone, I'm guilty to, talks about C&P logs when what we usually mean is crappy, lazy logs.

I still say the best way to combat the problem is to hide caches that inspire better logs. Sure, there will be the occasional cruddy log. Nothing you can do about that. But if your caches get nothing but junky logs perhaps you need to look at how you hide caches.

But you are impugning the quality of the caches that get lame logs. I have received blank and TFTC logs for some highly "favorited" caches.

Example:

http://www.geocachin...d0-35cd9ffcd03e

Read the rest of the logs. 14 favorites.

I could provide more examples, but this should prove the point that I'm trying to make. It isn't always lame caches that get lame logs.

Yes, I guess I was although I wouldn't include a cache that had a few lame logs such as the one you just linked to. I did say that you will never get everyone logging good logs. Some people just don't work that way.

Cut and paste logs are generally something you get when the cacher has had a long day, although not so long these days, finding one cache after another. If there is nothing distinguishing about one cache from the previous cache then cut and paste is what you are going to get. I stand by the fact that there needs to be something to write about before people will write about it in the main.

At the end of the day, you cannot legislate or make a rule on how much people write in a text box on a page. I know this from work. I design and build systems for companies and every so often someone wants a minimum length of text adding to a text box. It never gets the desired effect. All you can do is make people add something which doesn't solve cut and paste at all. We just have to live with it.

If your cache logs are full of cut and paste or one word logs look to your cache for the problem. If you have the odd one or two logs like that shrug your shoulders and await the next log worth reading.

I won't post a link, but I got a couple "TFTC" logs on my caches by an out of towner once. About a week later I stumbled on a listing for a missing cache in my area that was on their run. They logged their DNF with "TFTC" also. :D

I realize that this is about cutting and pasting, however, Mr. Yuck's comment about TFTC's on a DNF prompts me to chime in.

I am in the habit of signing off a DNF with a TFTC ... in my mind it is a simple way of thanking the owner for having taken the time and effort to put the cache into play.

The fact that I could not locate a hide is a reflection on my poor seeking skills.

Back to topic:

Cut and paste - yepper - you betcha, however they are easily modified to add a little spice or substance ... IF ... one cares enough to be thoughtful.

I realize that this is about cutting and pasting, however, Mr. Yuck's comment about TFTC's on a DNF prompts me to chime in.

I am in the habit of signing off a DNF with a TFTC ... in my mind it is a simple way of thanking the owner for having taken the time and effort to put the cache into play.

I have done the same thing on a cache that had been muggled and went missing between the time I had downloaded the cache info to me GPS and when I actually went to search for it. Instead of TFTC, I wrote complete sentences which essentially thanked the CO for the hide. The location was a gorgeous spot along a rocky shoreline in Maine. Even though I didn't find the cache, the fact that the CO had *hidden* a cache there brought me to the location.

We old folk have a saying: 'You get what you paid fer'. Now, me, I like to tell people of my time looking for their cache. It ain't long. To the point. But they took the time to place the cache, I'll take the time to thank them. Common decency. The nicer the cache, the more I'll talk to them. Let them know that their efforts aren't wasted. I'll even tell 'em what I thought about how hard or easy it was or

Now, those key containers stuck on the back of every guardrail found between here nad Timbucktoo, I'll give a thanks but there wasn't any effort put into the hide so there ain't any effort put into the thanks. You get what ya' paid fer!

Now, for the other folk. If you want something, don't be shy. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you don't want a copy and paste, make it a requirement in the cache info. Now how hard was that? State right in the info that to get credit, no copy and paste's are allowed and will be removed. There. Simple really.

For those of you who'll argue that some people just load the caches and don't read the requirements for getting that smilie, oh well, not my problem. Not knowing the local laws doesn't exempt you from following them does it? Didn't think so.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif