Cut N Paste Logs

Good for Groundspeak! There are already too many rules for caching. I don't know why people always want more rules.

Cut and paste logs are still rude, though.

This about sums it up for me, too.

I have, however, welcomed C&P logs on a small series I have out on a long desert highway. They're all pretty much the same, just something to do while you drive. So I figured it was ok for people to C&P log them since it's pretty much how I placed them.

Oddly, a lot of people have not logged them C&P style...

My inherent laziness leads me to be a copy/paster. Here's my log from a recent weekend long event, as an example:

Page 1 of 2

It was a dark and stormy night...

Except... It wasn't dark... or stormy... or even night...

But if Snoopy can start all his tales that way, why can't I?

Friday afternoon brought the whole herd to Green Swamp. Vince & Janet, of Flatouts, Mark & Peggy of The Jailbirds, Jody, AKA JACMyth, and yours truly, the ole fat crippled guy with the smelly hat, descended upon Dade City for a weekend of food, finds and fellowship.

We started with "S'more Time in the Green Swamp, where we schmoozed, and tortured Peeps, roasting them slowly over a hot fire before squishing them between two Graham crackers, along with a bit of chocolate. A suitable death for those evil pink and purple buggers! Death to the Peeps! Fully sated, we gathered at the Hampton for some rest, before diving right back into the schmoozing at the "2nd Annual FGA Geo-Extravaganza" Saturday morning. Marc & Mimi of M&M Melted fame played Master of Ceremonies, getting us started on a rousing game of geobingo, then turning us loose on a unique version of Boggle, where we had to find 5 unlisted caches containing trinkets, which we exchanged for rounds of Boggle. Sadly, I never stood a chance. Being Svottish pretty much excludes me from any game that requires even a modicum of intellect. Still, I had fun staring at all the letters, pretending I knew how to ferret out words from the jumble. I was fortunate, in that a few cachers took pity on me, pointing out a few words, so at least I didn't end with a score of zero. Thanx guys!

As we hunted the boggling containers, we opted to snag a few real caches along the way, scoring finds on "M&M-222 Acorn, All Growed Up", which highlighted the amazing oak trees that call this park home, "Creek Village Micro", which brought us to replicas of several early American structures, including a round, pointy one that looked like a perfect place for hippies to gather. A bit further along brought us to "M&M-223 Holy Oak, Batman", which was at a way kewl tree which looked like it tried growing a branch at some point in the distant past, then gave up, calling the branch back into itself, leaving a neat photo opportunity. We drifted over to a copse of trees near a pond, where we conversed with a friendly frog by the name of "Croaked".

When I read the next cache page on our list, "GP B-Day", I perked right up. An ammo can! At a scenic spot! Whoo Hoo!! I dropped in a Clan Riffster Pathtag to mark my passage, then continued on to "Slope". Another ammo can! Holy Carp! You guys are gonna spoil me! I dropped another Pathtag, then moved onto a micro, (yes, Riffsters sometimes hunt micros), at a most cache worthy spot. "Tower Two Step" turned into tower forty step, 'cuz I had to take in the view from the top. The breeze way up there, combined with the scenery, made this breathtaking! The clock was ticking, so we had to say goodby to the tower, heading back to the event. As we neared the pavilion, we noticed another green box getting closer, realizing we had passed up a cache, "M&M-221 Gobble Gobble Oak" on our way in. What a kewl custom container! All it lacked was an overweight caterpillar smoking a hooka!

To be continued...

Page 2 of 2

With smiles on our faces, and smilies in our Garmins, we commenced with the most important part of the day for us fat guys; the food! There was so much wonderful grub, that anyone going home hungry had only themselves to blame. As the crowd thinned out, I talked the crew into accompanying me on a multi, "Sometime Wetland". Meg felt sorry for me, as she knew how bad I was at math, and went with us as a guide to correct my mistakes. Once we got to the damp part of the trail, the crew opted for the smarter, drier route, whilst I waded right in, feeling right at home. As I got close, and the trail grew dry, the crew joined me in the hunt. We eventually located the well hidden cache, and I once again got to bask in the WHOOSH-CLUNK of an ammo can being opened. Ahhh... There ain't nothin' like it! The crew again opted for the dry route as we headed out, but I couldn't leave the swamp without at least taking a look around, chasing a huge, camera shy woodpecker all over the place before giving up and returning to the real world. As I was sloshing around in the muck, the rest of the guys scored a find on "End of the Road". I added my name to the log before it was replaced, then we hit the road, ending up at a picturesque little restaurant, Kafe Kokopeli, in honor of the Flatouts wedding anniversary. I can say, with all the qualifications of a fat guy, that this place is worth a visit. After stuffing ourselves stupid, (a short trip for a Riffster), we were ready to go back to the hotel, till Vince mentioned that there was a cache nearby. By the light of a single Mini-Mag, "Peek-A-Boo, I See You" was found. We gave a hearty wave to the suggested window, but being late at night, we didn't expect a reply.

We returned to the Hampton, fired up a microwave, made hot chocolate, and talked caching till well after Midnight, when we crashed and burned, not waking up till our collective alarm clocks made nuisances of themselves, pestering us with racket till we drug ourselves out of bed. We gathered at the "Withlacoochee River Park Breakfast & CITO" for some last minute schmoozing. I took my trusty Cannondale geosteed out for a kwick peddle, gathering up all the boggle containers from yesterday.

The crew put our heads together, coming up with a plan for just a couple more smilies, focused more on quality instead of quantity. As a certifiable Wherigo nut, I begged, pleaded, cajoled and whined until the others agreed to try out their devices. Since this was a test drive, I wanted to start with a very basic cartridge first, selecting "Where Tigers Train". I had my iPad and my Oregon 300, Mark and Vince had their iPhones, and Joshism, who met us in the parking lot, had his Droid. The cartridge played flawlessly on all of them, and following a brief tour of the Joker Marchant Stadium, we had the micro in hand. Joshism had crashed his Droid attempting "Walk in the Park" earlier, we headed over to rectify his DNF. We biked from stage to stage, enjoying the shaded, paved pathway, marveling at all the critters we saw along the way. The county really has a gem here, and this Wherigo highlights all the best parts. Oddly enough, the only device to crash on this go around was my Oregon. After I entered an affirmative for the last question, it shut down. I fired it back up, going back into the final zone, and again it shut off when I picked Yes. Still, it was an awesome cache. I took a bracelet thingy TB, and left a Pathtag.

Thanx for the hides!

-Sean

Post script: This log copy/pasted 'cuz I'm too dang lazy to type it a dozen more times.

I had to split it into one "Found It" and one "Note" due to the 4000 character limit. I haven't had any complaints, yet. :ph34r:

I just like to know how many people found my cache.

Check the logbook.

Is that what you do on your hides?

I don't have any hides.

Exactly. When you do, let us know how it goes with checking the logbooks.

Seems logical to me that checking the logbook would be a good way to know how many people found your cache. Guess I was wrong.

I just like to know how many people found my cache.

Check the logbook.

Is that what you do on your hides?

I don't have any hides.

Exactly. When you do, let us know how it goes with checking the logbooks.

Seems logical to me that checking the logbook would be a good way to know how many people found your cache. Guess I was wrong.

Seems logical, true. But impractical, in most cases. Sure, if you had just one or two hides, all placed within blocks of home, and the logbooks never got wet or went missing, you could to that. But such is not generally the case in reality.

Good for Groundspeak! There are already too many rules for caching. I don't know why people always want more rules.

I have, however, welcomed C&P logs on a small series I have out on a long desert highway. They're all pretty much the same, just something to do while you drive. So I figured it was ok for people to C&P log them since it's pretty much how I placed them.

I think that saying that there are too many rules is too easy a mantra to champion. We need rules, since people can't rule themselves. Things always go too far if cachers are left to their own devices. I would be happy to get rid of 2 rules for each of a few new ones added with more teeth in them. Then there would be a net fewer rules for those that just reply no new rules everytime a new rule is brought up.

I think that saying that there are too many rules is too easy a mantra to champion. We need rules, since people can't rule themselves. Things always go too far if cachers are left to their own devices. I would be happy to get rid of 2 rules for each of a few new ones added with more teeth in them. Then there would be a net fewer rules for those that just reply no new rules everytime a new rule is brought up.

Eventually, we'd get down to just one big rule that covered all previous rules. I like that! We could call it The Golden rule!

in the last year or so, geocachers spend more time arguing and pointing fingers than actually having fun in the sun

go find some caches and log them however you want to.

personly i try to put as much in my logs as possible, but when you find 15 film canisters in the same day it can get hard

Not news. Its been reported here before. Jeremy has even officially sanctioned blank logs. But I still say the suck. BradW actually put "entitled" in quotes? While it may not have been intended, that sounds like belittling of that opinion, to me.

You can't even remember 50 caches enough to write something unique? Get a pocket digital recorder, or use the voice recorder app on your smartphone if you use one. Or find fewer caches.

If you've had a great day caching and gotten a whole mess of them...30, 50, 80 or 100...you shouldn't have to write a unique log for each. Now, I never use blank logs or something like TFTC...I will write a few sentences about my day caching and post it as a log. If the cache was really cool, I'll add another sentence or two to the original, but that's as far as it goes. I'll will not find fewer caches to appease those entitlement junkies.

BTW, yes I am a cache owner and I hate the blank logs, but I'll take something rather than nothing in the log.

I find blank logs far more rude than copy and paste logs.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

in the last year or so, geocachers spend more time arguing and pointing fingers than actually having fun in the sun

personly i try to put as much in my logs as possible, but when you find 15 film canisters in the same day it can get hard

But if we don't argue and point fingers... what would happen to the forums?!? :anitongue:

But if we don't argue and point fingers... what would happen to the forums?!? :anitongue:

No, the less than 20% of registered accounts who have ever even looked at the forums once argue and point fingers. I didn't make that up, there is a way you can actually tell that. :lol: Me, I've found 2,200 caches in 8 years, and hidden 43. KnowsChad has found over 5,000, and hidden over a hundred. I think we've both had fresh air on more than one occasion. Some people like to discuss their favorite hobby. Cut us some slack, eh? :P

Would it be rude if the site allowed you to mark a cache as found with an option to log and some chose not to write the optional log and no email was sent at all?

Perhaps the site could just send a weekly stats update for the owners that just want to know how many people logged their caches. Similar to the way Facebook does with fan pages.

If I started hiding caches, I think I would rather receive something like that rather than a bunch of cut and paste logs.

A part of the reason I chose geocaching over letterboxing, was the interaction between finders and hiders and the community feel of the game. Groundspeak has made it perfectly clear to me that they are no longer stressing that experience as this game moves forward.

A part of the reason I chose geocaching over letterboxing, was the interaction between finders and hiders and the community feel of the game. Groundspeak has made it perfectly clear to me that they are no longer stressing that experience as this game moves forward.

If this is the way cachers interact, it might be a good idea to downplay it.

The reason I enjoy geocaching is because I don't have to interact with people if I don't want to. I interact with people all day. I quite enjoy doing stuff alone with with a friend or family member at the most. I write logs. Sometimes I'm more inspired than others depending on how tired or interested I was in what I was doing. I don't write logs for anyone but my enjoyment so I can look back and remember my trip.

Would it be rude if the site allowed you to mark a cache as found with an option to log and some chose not to write the optional log and no email was sent at all?

Perhaps the site could just send a weekly stats update for the owners that just want to know how many people logged their caches. Similar to the way Facebook does with fan pages.

If I started hiding caches, I think I would rather receive something like that rather than a bunch of cut and paste logs.

actually i wouldn't mind if i didn't get any emails from logs with less than 4 letters

they got nothing to say, i certainly don't care to know it

I do this when I get 50+ caches in a day it is just not possible to remember all the caches individually that I find

To be honest, I don't recall anything anywhere that says an online log has to have anything at all to do with the cache in question... A number of my own logs, even for a few really good caches, have had nothing in them about the cache itself. Never had a complaint yet. So maybe actually remembering a cache isn't as big an issue as it would seem.

I don't mean this as a criticism, just saying that in my experience the average cache owner seems to appreciate something original in a log more than a blank, tftc, or cut and paste log. Even if that "something original" has nothing to do with the cache.

I have never resorted to cut and paste logs and I never will. I wouldn't be so lazy with the commemoration of my caching history. Each cache I find is a part of my caching history that I believe is worth my time to record individually. I have found it pretty easy over 7+ years to recall each cache I found as I was logging it. If a cache was so poor I couldn't remember anything about it at the end of the day, I wouldn't hunt it or log it.

actually i wouldn't mind if i didn't get any emails from logs with less than 4 letters

Better make that less than 3 letters. Otherwise, you'd still get tftc logs. :ph34r:

They probably actually could give us that feature easily. But it would only be used by a fringe element of radical's not unlike the ignore list. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Better make that less than 3 letters. Otherwise, you'd still get tftc logs. :ph34r:

Correction fail? :D I think you mean less than 5 letters :)

Yeah, you see I edited the post. Twice actually. Too many Easter Beers. Don't worry though, I'm not driving. :unsure:

Correction fail? :D I think you mean less than 5 letters :)

Yeah, you see I edited the post. Twice actually. Too many Easter Beers. Don't worry though, I'm not driving. :unsure:

20891.jpg

My experience is that cachers generally post what was memorable about a cache when the log it. If the cache wasn't memorable and the owner gets a load of TFTC or copy and past logs maybe they should be looking at the cache and asking themselves why this is happening. Much better than demanding a unique log.

Personally, if I found a cache and the owner was demanding any such thing, I'd just move on without posting or post a log telling them why I struggled to remember their bland cache from the other bland caches of the day.

Place interesting caches if you want interesting logs. It's not rocket science.

Truly this is the obvious remedy.

BUT, (as stated earlier) the increasing influx of smartphone users(who only started caching when they saw the app in the store) APPEARS to have resulted in an increase in lame logs.

Just today I got a log for a cache in a really nice park with interesting landscaping vegetation, and some surprising information about the private life of a well-known political figure. All they had to say was that they found the co-ordinates to be 20 feet off.

You're welcome.

Glad you enjoyed it.

If you don't want Cut & Paste logs, don't place Cut & Paste caches...

:huh:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Oh, believe me... it no longer takes a "cut & paste cache" to get cut & paste logs. Not even close!!
That is for sure! Recent logs on one of my hides:

April 23 "This is one of the best hides in one of the nicest locales I've ever found. Kudos to WRASTRO! Definitely will be tagged a fave. Thanks for the hide! SL."

April 19 "Thank you so much for re-enabling this. Not just panda's pleasure but a poppa pleasure to finally have this one. This one eluded me on multiple attempts (I checked and embarrassedly I admit I didn't post any DNFs). But on this majestic sunny day I finally found it. This is truly a splendid cache."

April 17 "I searched for two other types of hides before hitting on the right idea. Well done and TFTC!"

April 13 "TFTC"

I'm pretty sure that you just proved the rule. Sure, good caches can still catch the random c&p log, but lame caches will get bunches of them. If your cache gets lots of them, you might want to think about your cache's quality a bit more. If someone's cache only gets the rare c&p log and it still bothers him, perhaps he needs thicker skin.
While I understand the official stance and I would never delete any cut and paste logs - I still find them lazy and disrespectful.

Seriously, look at the cache page and a map - if you can't remember anything about it a few hours later with the cache page and map as an aid, sounds like you wasted your own time. I suspect most such loggers are just far too interested in the smiley to worry about writing a few words - nothing to do with a poor memory.

GASP!! :o You can't mean...?:o How can I...? :o You expect me to...? :o OMG!!! :o This is going to take more than thirty seconds!!! I don't have that kind of time!!! If I am to find more than fifty roadside film cannisters in a day I can't be bothered with actually TYPING A RESPONSE!!!

This is going to totally detract from the amount of time I spend looking at my smilies on the map and feeling all warm and fuzzy over my accomplishments.

Geez, I might have to actually THANK someone??? Next thing you will expect me to actually OPEN the container and SIGN the log!!!!!! :blink: Where will it all end!!! Good grief!:mad:

One more person who doesn't understand that 'TFTC'is an acronym.

My son and I recently discovered Geocaching. I've poured over previous log entries and have been obsessively reading hundreds of forum posts in an effort to educate myself on caching etiquette.

When we first started, I was only writing "TFTC" since it appeared that is what most logs of the caches we found consisted of. I quickly realized that this was not only lame, but borderline disrespectful to the cache owners. More than that though....it wasn't fun to look back on our own previous caches and not see any references to the notable things that happened to us during the search.

Now, as we go caching, I'm noting keywords and references in short-hand and also taking pictures of log entries and anything else that might be interesting at each cache find. I actually enjoy sitting down and flushing these out and posting pictures at the end of a caching day. For me, it's just as rewarding as the actual find.

They probably actually could give us that feature easily. But it would only be used by a fringe element of radical's not unlike the ignore list. :lol:

no, less than 4 is fine...i am not a big fan of the TFTC, but heck is better than blank logs or "yeeehaw" and other onomatope

i can see how TFTC is used on caches that don't offer any special experience, but when i get that on a cache that requires a nasty climb up a tree either they didn't get the cache or are just plain lazy :lol:

I don't like C&P logs but I can and will just ignore them. :laughing: If you go to the effert to write a interesting log I will go to the effort to write you a nice reply. :P

The real problem with C&Ps is they fail to inform the CO of any problems there might be at the cache! :yikes:

Edited by captnemo

What would happen if I signed my name, made a bunch of copies, and then glued them in log books?

People do that all the time, except that they don't bother to sign their name first. Haven't you seen little stickers stuck in the log book in place of a signature?

If they are acceptable in the physical logbook, then what is wrong with them in the online logs?

What would happen if I signed my name, made a bunch of copies, and then glued them in log books?

People do that all the time, except that they don't bother to sign their name first. Haven't you seen little stickers stuck in the log book in place of a signature?

If they are acceptable in the physical logbook, then what is wrong with them in the online logs?

Do it all the time. Not every cache is interesting enough to write a whole story about. Im usually doing the logging on my phone and dont want to do it over when i get home.

If you don't want Cut & Paste logs, don't place Cut & Paste caches...

:huh:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Oh, believe me... it no longer takes a "cut & paste cache" to get cut & paste logs. Not even close!!
That is for sure! Recent logs on one of my hides:

April 23 "This is one of the best hides in one of the nicest locales I've ever found. Kudos to WRASTRO! Definitely will be tagged a fave. Thanks for the hide! SL."

April 19 "Thank you so much for re-enabling this. Not just panda's pleasure but a poppa pleasure to finally have this one. This one eluded me on multiple attempts (I checked and embarrassedly I admit I didn't post any DNFs). But on this majestic sunny day I finally found it. This is truly a splendid cache."

April 17 "I searched for two other types of hides before hitting on the right idea. Well done and TFTC!"

April 13 "TFTC"

I'm pretty sure that you just proved the rule. Sure, good caches can still catch the random c&p log, but lame caches will get bunches of them. If your cache gets lots of them, you might want to think about your cache's quality a bit more. If someone's cache only gets the rare c&p log and it still bothers him, perhaps he needs thicker skin.

So what you're saying is that if a cache owner shows some initiative and creates what should be a memorable cache rather than throw a film can into a bush, it's the cache owners fault for not having a thick skin when a bunch of lazy cachers can't be bothered to post a log with nothing more than TFTC.

While I understand the official stance and I would never delete any cut and paste logs - I still find them lazy and disrespectful.

Seriously, look at the cache page and a map - if you can't remember anything about it a few hours later with the cache page and map as an aid, sounds like you wasted your own time. I suspect most such loggers are just far too interested in the smiley to worry about writing a few words - nothing to do with a poor memory.

GASP!! :o You can't mean...?:o How can I...? :o You expect me to...? :o OMG!!! :o This is going to take more than thirty seconds!!! I don't have that kind of time!!! If I am to find more than fifty roadside film cannisters in a day I can't be bothered with actually TYPING A RESPONSE!!!

This is going to totally detract from the amount of time I spend looking at my smilies on the map and feeling all warm and fuzzy over my accomplishments.

Geez, I might have to actually THANK someone??? Next thing you will expect me to actually OPEN the container and SIGN the log!!!!!! :blink: Where will it all end!!! Good grief!:mad:

One more person who doesn't understand that 'TFTC'is an acronym.

I understand what TFTC means and that's it's an acronym. To me, when someone shortens "thanks for the cache" to a four letter acronym it indicates that it's from someone that can't even take the time to type 20 additional characters.

Do it all the time. Not every cache is interesting enough to write a whole story about. Im usually doing the logging on my phone and dont want to do it over when i get home.

This is, in my opinion, the root cause of the massive recent influx of newbie posted blank, emoticon, or acronym only logs. Why do you feel you have to log on your phone from the field? What's wrong with going home and logging? That's what all of us did for the first 9 years of Geocaching. :D

I did look at your 10 or so finds yesterday, and most of them seem to be parking lots. I agree they don't "deserve" much more that you wrote (which was 4 words not just TFTC!!!!!). I also noticed a couple recent completely blank logs from newb cell phone users on one of those caches. This is all just a whole 'nutter ballgame compared to how it used to be, that's all I'm saying.

I understand what TFTC means and that's it's an acronym. To me, when someone shortens "thanks for the cache" to a four letter acronym it indicates that it's from someone that can't even take the time to type 20 additional characters.

If all you have to say about a cache is "thanks for the cache", then really what is the difference between spelling it out and typing TFTC? Seems to me you'd be upset about both or neither.

Edited by mresoteric

What's wrong with going home and logging? That's what all of us did for the first 9 years of Geocaching.

Things change. My grandparents write letters. My parents write emails. I tweet.

What some see as rudeness, others see as a natural extension of modern communication.

Do your parents write totally blank emails? Send people smiley only emails? Send someone a 4 letter acronym email? :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

What's wrong with going home and logging? That's what all of us did for the first 9 years of Geocaching.

Things change. My grandparents write letters. My parents write emails. I tweet.

What some see as rudeness, others see as a natural extension of modern communication.

Do your parents write totally blank emails? Send people smiley only emails? Send someone 4 a letter email? :D

No. But they also are not emailing me in order to prove their existence.

But I often Tweet a smiley or LOL, etc.

Edited by mresoteric

It's just the continued downgrading of the community side of the game. Some people are just that way and we will always have those poeple, but policies that promote it shouldn't be implemented or encouraged. Acceptance and excuses shouldn't be normalized either. Eventually these practices will become the norm, they are already becoming more and more common.

Edited by M 5

If all you have to say about a cache is "thanks for the cache", then really what is the difference between spelling it out and typing TFTC? Seems to me you'd be upset about both or neither.

I'm not upset about either. I'm just saying that writing out the words shows at least a small amount formality in thanking the cache owner for placing the cache. Granted, it's not much, but it's still more than just typing TFTC. When someone just posts TFTC as a log, it looks to me that the cacher is just going to expend as little effort as possible...which is find if the cache owner spent as little effort as possible in placing the cache. When a cache owner spends more than a minimum amount of effort, often significantly more, and they still get a lot of TFTC logs (and the trend seems to be that TFTC only logs and even blank logs are on the rise) it's just more courteous to express a proportionally greater amount of thanks to the cache owner.

(and the trend seems to be that TFTC only logs and even blank logs are on the rise) it's just more courteous to express a proportionally greater amount of thanks to the cache owner.

I think this is a pretty good indicator that these people are not posting to give genuine thanks, but rather because you are required to post something in order to log a find. (nothing in the case of iPhone app).

I think the real problem is that emails are sent to the CO regardless of what is written. This would annoy me to no end if all it contained was TFTC, or a period, or nothing at all.

So, that is why I think it would be great if they could all finders to just check that they have found the cache without forcing them to log anything. But they could offer an option to post a log if they wanted. If the finder opted for the log, then an email would be generated. Otherwise, the CO would just receive a single email once a week with stats of who found their cache. That should satisfy everyone because really, do you want to received a forced thanks or a genuine one?

This is, in my opinion, the root cause of the massive recent influx of newbie posted blank, emoticon, or acronym only logs. Why do you feel you have to log on your phone from the field? What's wrong with going home and logging? That's what all of us did for the first 9 years of Geocaching. :D

I did look at your 10 or so finds yesterday, and most of them seem to be parking lots. I agree they don't "deserve" much more that you wrote (which was 4 words not just TFTC!!!!!). I also noticed a couple recent completely blank logs from newb cell phone users on one of those caches. This is all just a whole 'nutter ballgame compared to how it used to be, that's all I'm saying.

Thats cool , but the app did cost money and it has that feature available to post from the field. :) I understand things used to be different but about 75-90% of caches out there are light post and quick P&G caches and no one could possibly take the time to write a story about each of them. I dont think I could remember them all by the time i get home.(not to say that were finding hundreds in a day or anything, but caching with 3 kids its usually the easiest way to log). I use the app on my phone for navigation and then to post the find on the go. Very convenient.

I think the log should be left up to the finder completely. If we find a cache that "inspires" more than that then we should write about it, and I do on the ones that were a cool experience or a cool or well camoed cache. And for those that want to do it just for numbers and get as many as quickly as possible thats cool too, make it fun for YOU not anyone else.

Yesterday like you said we found bout 10 all easy P&G but mixed in was a cache that was one we had never seen before and noted it in the log to let the CO know that the thought was appreciated,even though it was still a short log. :D