What is a "California Style" cache?

Except for a handful of caches in Oregon, all the caches I've found have been in California. I have no idea what "California Style" is supposed to mean. The caches I've found have varied enormously.

Same here. I cache almost exclusively in California and that makes no sense to me.

I do know that "Arizona Style" meant under a pile of rocks. That helped tremendously when I was caching through Arizona. But California Style? I have no idea. Maybe it means it's stuck inside an avocado.

I've found a fair amount of caches in California, but most of them were in Northern California; which honestly is a different state than Southern California. I didn't see anything that would stand out as "California Style" on any of the caches... not much different from the caches in Oregon.

My humorous answer... maybe you have to pay a tax to find it?

69eae4ce45ng-tax.jpg.jpg

Under a box of fruits and nuts ... however, I might be in error.

No, that would be a San Francisco hide. :blink:

Too funny. That reminds me of my impression after spending ten years on the wrong coast - that living in California is like living in a granola bowl...what ain't fruits and nuts is flakes! :blink::D

ETA: With the exceptions of my California friends and fellow N.U.T.S., of course!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Same here. I cache almost exclusively in California and that makes no sense to me.

I've found a fair amount of caches in California, but most of them were in Northern California; which honestly is a different state than Southern California. I didn't see anything that would stand out as "California Style" on any of the caches... not much different from the caches in Oregon.

Amen to that! I live in NORTHERN California (no - we do NOT claim San Francisco as part of northern California!!! San Francisco should be it's own state - maybe the state of confusion) and we have pretty much zero in common with the southern part of the state. It's really unfortunate that we get painted with the same brush as the southern part of the state as it's really not the same place at all.

I've lived in northern California all my life and have been caching since August 8, 2005. I have no idea what a "California style" hide is. Given the wide range of terrain and lifestyles in the state it doesn't make much sense to me that one could define a hide in that manner.

To be honest, I love some things about California. I was born and raised in Mendocino County, and it's beautiful there; but note that I don't live there anymore. To be serious, I think it would be too difficult to pinpoint a true "california style" cache because California is a HUGE state with a lot of different terrains, climates, etc.

I found a few dozen around Los Angeles, Temeculah and San Diego CA and there was great variety.

On the other hand here in Alabama rolling through a stop sign is called a "California stop" and it's not a compliment! :huh:

Yeah. Here, we call that "stopping too much."

As a native that started driving legally in 1955, we used to call it a 2nd gear stop

As in slowing down and down shifting from 3rd to 2nd :D

To be honest, I love some things about California. I was born and raised in Mendocino County, and it's beautiful there; but note that I don't live there anymore.

Last I was there (a couple of years ago) it was still beautiful. I didn't grow up in Mendocino County but I was born there (Ft. Bragg), am a fifth generation (at least) native California, and a descendant of one of the members of the Bear Flag Revolt (who is depicted in a statue in Sonoma of the raising of the first California state flag.)

If there is any state in the U.S. which should *not* have a cache style it should be California.

To be honest, I love some things about California. I was born and raised in Mendocino County, and it's beautiful there; but note that I don't live there anymore.

Last I was there (a couple of years ago) it was still beautiful. I didn't grow up in Mendocino County but I was born there (Ft. Bragg), am a fifth generation (at least) native California, and a descendant of one of the members of the Bear Flag Revolt (who is depicted in a statue in Sonoma of the raising of the first California state flag.)

If there is any state in the U.S. which should *not* have a cache style it should be California.

I agree 100%!! I am from Ukiah originally, by the way.

While I am aware that various regions tend to have a style of hides that is both common and unique - I rarely run into anybody from outside the area that knows how to define it.

The worst is when the hint says something like, "Hidden in my usual style" but you haven't found any or enough of their caches to know what their style is.

"Hidden in my usual style" on a cache page usually means LPC, guardrail, or some species of evergreen. It seldom means "I have found another interesting and/or visually pleasing place to hide a cache."

While I am aware that various regions tend to have a style of hides that is both common and unique - I rarely run into anybody from outside the area that knows how to define it.

The worst is when the hint says something like, "Hidden in my usual style" but you haven't found any or enough of their caches to know what their style is.

"Hidden in my usual style" on a cache page usually means LPC, guardrail, or some species of evergreen. It seldom means "I have found another interesting and/or visually pleasing place to hide a cache."

I'll amend my previous comment to add, "...or that none of their hides were memorable enough to know what their style is." :lol:

I lived in Willits for a while - managed the mini mart on the north end of town many years ago. I lived up the hill with redwood trees and deer in the yard. I also lived in a teepee on 67 acres in the hills up above Covelo. An interesting experience that I have NO desire to ever repeat (although I did learn that teriyaki rattlesnake is quite tasty). Both areas are great examples of northern California which have nothing at all in common with SF.

I visit Ukiah from time to time as I support an office there. I support offices in Eureka and Lakeport (and quite a few others) as well. :)

I lived in Willits for a while - managed the mini mart on the north end of town many years ago. I lived up the hill with redwood trees and deer in the yard. I also lived in a teepee on 67 acres in the hills up above Covelo. An interesting experience that I have NO desire to ever repeat (although I did learn that teriyaki rattlesnake is quite tasty).

That's understandable. I've been to Covelo. It's a pretty area but I couldn't imagine spending more than a day or two there.

I get deer in my yard where I live now (on a main road through town). I wish they'd quit eating our tuplips and hosta. My in-laws live about 4 miles from me on 25 acres and seeing deer and turkey on their property is almost a daily occurrence.

Both areas are great examples of northern California which have nothing at all in common with SF.

I visit Ukiah from time to time as I support an office there. I support offices in Eureka and Lakeport (and quite a few others) as well. :)

I've often thought the Northern California doesn't really begin until you get north of Santa Rosa.

I found a few dozen around Los Angeles, Temeculah and San Diego CA and there was great variety.

On the other hand here in Alabama rolling through a stop sign is called a "California stop" and it's not a compliment! :huh:

In California we used to call that a "Hollywood Stop" and, In Hollywood, they call it "Stopping."

I think I have the definitive California Style - even if the CO of that other cache means something different <_<

California Style -

A pill bottle wrapped in silver duct tape, hidden behind a guardrail with the coordinates off by 30 feet to the left.

Note: Distinguishing feature is effectively a polar coordinated.

From my travels:

Washington Style -

Damp, filled with water or (in rare circumstances) watertight to 10 atmospheres.

You forgot: In a Stump. :laughing:

California Style is like a California Stop: A bad idea!

Don't have many CA caches (yet) but hope to hit a few on our next road trip. Make a road trip up the 101 usually starting around Fort Bragg or so. Very nice area up there, Fort Bragg, Ukiah, Mendocino County, Northern California and Oregon in general, all that nice green stuff. Usually make Portland the turn around spot. Nice change from our Desert beauty out here. Planning time.

Don't have many CA caches (yet) but hope to hit a few on our next road trip. Make a road trip up the 101 usually starting around Fort Bragg or so. Very nice area up there, Fort Bragg, Ukiah, Mendocino County, Northern California and Oregon in general, all that nice green stuff. Usually make Portland the turn around spot. Nice change from our Desert beauty out here. Planning time.

If you get up this way look up the Lost Coast Cachers ... a word to the wise if you plan on working any sweetj caches ... get a large cast iron frying pan and start beating yourself over the head right now. ( Jason's caches will drive you around the bend ... hitting yourself with the frying pan may help you retain your sanity.)

Edited by humboldt flier

If you get up this way look up the Lost Coast Cachers ... a word to the wise if you plan on working any sweetj caches ... get a large cast iron frying pan and start beating yourself over the head right now. ( Jason's caches will drive you around the bend ... hitting yourself with the frying pan may help you retain your sanity.)

Thanks for the info, think I'll skip the cast iron skillet part though, my mom hit me with one when I was a rebel teenager and those things hurt. :D