What is a "California Style" cache?

Except for a handful of caches in Oregon, all the caches I've found have been in California. I have no idea what "California Style" is supposed to mean. The caches I've found have varied enormously.

Same here. I cache almost exclusively in California and that makes no sense to me.

I do know that "Arizona Style" meant under a pile of rocks. That helped tremendously when I was caching through Arizona. But California Style? I have no idea. Maybe it means it's stuck inside an avocado.

Sometimes people make these terms up and only the person who makes it up really knows what it means. In NJ one cacher started using the term "Highlands Style". I had a good idea what he meant by it, but I bet many of the people who saw his listings had no clue what he meant.

There are some styles that are fairly well known (I've read that "Florida Style" means hidden under a palmetto leaf), but often what the style means is only known to the originator, or a small group of people.

If in the desert, it could be behind a bush or in a pile of rocks. In town, probably in a film canister under a lamp post skirt.

Depends on where in California, too. When I was caching in Sacramento, I found a lot of bison tubes (that may have just been because of the neighborhood I was in in Sacto.) Down here in LA, where we rarely have inclement weather, most of the urban caches I've found have been magnetic hide-a-keys.

I think I have the definitive California Style - even if the CO of that other cache means something different <_<

California Style -

A pill bottle wrapped in silver duct tape, hidden behind a guardrail with the coordinates off by 30 feet to the left.

Note: Distinguishing feature is effectively a polar coordinated.

From my travels:

Michigan Style -

Hidden in a bush in a cemetery, outside a cemetery, near a cemetery or within the same county as a cemetery.

Nevada Style -

Magnetic key holder under cattle guard

Oregon Style -

Ammo box in the middle of nowhere.

Washington Style -

Damp, filled with water or (in rare circumstances) watertight to 10 atmospheres.

Arizona Style -

Hidden under a rock. (For extra stars of difficulty add more rocks.)

Edited by DragonsWest

I think I have the definitive California Style - even if the CO of that other cache means something different <_<

California Style -

A pill bottle wrapped in silver duct tape, hidden behind a guardrail with the coordinates off by 30 feet to the left.

In Antelope Valley they hide them consistantly 130 feet to the right.

California Style -

Good to know, since I'll be there tomorrow. B)

California Style -

Good to know, since I'll be there tomorrow. B)

Say "Hi!" to Kit Fox for me.

Except for a handful of caches in Oregon, all the caches I've found have been in California. I have no idea what "California Style" is supposed to mean. The caches I've found have varied enormously.

I have been caching in California for almost six years, and have never come across that term.

Isn't that a cache hidden in a recycled, biodegradable, tofu container?

Seriously though I have no idea. Sorry.

Maybe a small baggie wrapped in duct tape and inserted in a small crack?

I thought that was Florida Style. I have only found 3 of them in California.

I have been caching in California for almost six years, and have never come across that term.

10+ years ????????????????????????????????

In NJ one cacher started using the term "Highlands Style". I had a good idea what he meant by it, but I bet many of the people who saw his listings had no clue what he meant.

StPatricksParade2.jpg

I know what he meant, and it's called a kilt, not a skirt, :mad: but only a Highlander knows for sure what's under it. ;)

dam pc

Edited by vagabond

In NJ one cacher started using the term "Highlands Style". I had a good idea what he meant by it, but I bet many of the people who saw his listings had no clue what he meant.

StPatricksParade2.jpg

I know what he meant, and it's called a kilt, not a skirt, :mad: but only a Highlander knows for sure what's under it. ;)

[and again

Edited by vagabond

StPatricksParade2.jpg

Only been to CA once but I'd think California Style would have a label on it that says something to the effect of "The state of California has determined this cache to contain a material that might contain a carcinogen." That was my impression from 3 days in CA anyway.
Thanks for the laugh. I keep forgetting that the rest of the world doesn't live with that particular bit of absurdity.

StPatricksParade2.jpg

No. Even a Lowlander can wear a kilt. My granther was from Aberdeen, and he had one.

I'd go with 'suspected to contain a carcinogen'. Or 'subject to earthquakes, mud slides and forest fires.'

From my extensive (less than 1 month) experience, if I had to define a Los Angeles cache it would probably be an altoids container under a lamp skirt. Don't know about the rest of Cali but there is an abundance of that type here.

From living in California for 40 years I can assure you the Los Angeles != California.

StPatricksParade2.jpg

How do you get the Highlander to stand on the co-ords for that long? I understand, falling down drunk, but sooner or later they will get up and move around... :P

I'm from California and have found lots of caches here. I've never before heard of "California Style" ... at least with reference to hiding or finding geocaches.

edited to add:

OMG!!! I'm hoping that someone has not devised a new place to hide geocaches.

edited again to add:

I don't feel so good. Does anyone want to buy a GPS? I think I need a new hobby.

Edited by HH242

I'm from California and have found lots of caches here. I've never before heard of "California Style" ... at least with reference to hiding or finding geocaches.

edited to add:

OMG!!! I'm hoping that someone has not devised a new place to hide geocaches.

edited again to add:

I don't feel so good. Does anyone want to buy a GPS? I think I need a new hobby.

One night while having a glass of wine I was considering the possibility of a geostationary balloon with a cache hanging from it. Rather difficult to maintain as balloons, even the mylar sort, don't stay aloft very long and then there's the matter of wind. Hmm. May require more wine to sort all these problems out.

StPatricksParade2.jpg

How do you get the Highlander to stand on the co-ords for that long? I understand, falling down drunk, but sooner or later they will get up and move around... :P

It's appropriate to log the find

if you do find a stationary (passed out drunk) Scotsman. ;)