Heads Up on a login error

umc

This is what I'm getting when trying to log in. For some reason it remembered my forum login but nothing else.

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syntax error converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Syntax error converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: Syntax error converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.Read() +157

Geocaching.Global.Session_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +403

System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.CompleteAcquireState() +525

System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireState(Object source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData) +698

System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +66

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +173

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

I was getting it until I killed my browser. Now I'm good.

edit: Like Markwell, I logged out and had it again. Killed the browser and was fine again.

edit again: I have two browsers open right now. In one, I get the big error when I try to go to a cache page. In the other, which I recently opened fresh and logged in on, I can do whatever.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on June 11, 2003 at 08:39 AM.]

Boy, and I thought it was just me.

I've been able to login by switching browsers back and forth Netscape and IE. When one gets the error, I quit it, launch the other and am able to login.

Kind of weird.

sigavatar.gif

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

Starting today, I can't seem to get very far through the site without it starting to say that I'm not logged in anymore. I see my location bar go nuts going through a million urls, and it spits me out at http://www.geocaching.com/hideseek/

Very strange, very frustrating. Works with M$IE 5.1, but doesn't work in my standards compliant browser that I use for everything, Safari. It used to work great in Safari, and now today it's barfing... is this related? Very frustrating... I can't do much at the site unless I open up M$IE... good thing I didn't delete /all/ M$ products from my workstation.

-Aaron

I have not been able to log my visit to a cache in U-City in St. Louis County, MO all week. I have tried several times at different times of the day. I click on the "log in to log visit" button and it takes me to the main log in page. After logging in, I end up on the "My Cache Page". When I go back to the page of the cache I found it tells me I am not logged in. I keep going in circles. This was my first find, and as my luck would have it, I can't even log it.

No, I don't think so...I don't use the back button nor is it a problem with cookies...You woould't believe the cookies I clean off my computer every week or so. Any other ideas. Personally think there is a problem on that particular cache page's link to log in.

Fact is: There have not been logs added since before the system crash last week end.

[This message was edited by $piritwing? on June 15, 2003 at 06:20 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by $piritwing�:

Walker 2-Lorinel University-Airebor placed by freydis. Look it up in the area of 63114 zipcode. It is about the 5th or 6th one down on the list.

The cache is here and as you can see I had no problems logging a note on it. It really sounds as if your are not logged into the site, or maybe there are issues with the high ASCII characters in your user name.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

This just started today. When I log in, I go back to the start page. The start page states I'm not logged in, but my cache page and discussion page have me logged in. What is wrong? Also, the instructions, "verify, change user, create user", are now in red.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

I'm having a similar problem.

I use "my cache page" as my home page. It says I'm logged in, but when I try to go to ANY cache page, it says I'm NOT logged in. When I click the link and try to login again, it kicks back to the same cache page, and still shows me as NOT logged in.

I have a couple of caches to log, but more importantly, I need to make changes on a couple of my hidden cache pages.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Here's a trick if you want to have your "my cache page" be your home page. This should never change.

Use this URL:

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?username=myusername&password=mypassword

Obviously change "myusername" and "mypassword" for it to work.

Make that your home page link. It will log you in and redirect you to your "my cache page" every time.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Also, if you get redirected to a page that says you aren't logged in, hold shift and click the refresh button on your browser. It is possible that the page you are looking at is stored in memory and isn't refreshing when you revisit it.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by $piritwing�:

Walker 2-Lorinel University-Airebor placed by freydis. Look it up in the area of 63114 zipcode. It is about the 5th or 6th one down on the list.

The cache is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=32567 and as you can see I had no problems logging a note on it. It really sounds as if your are not logged into the site, or maybe there are issues with the high ASCII characters in your user name.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

quote:
Mopar, I changed my user name as you suggested in the your post and I was able to get right in and log my visit...Thanks a heap and a bunch. I owe ya one.

I'd rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than to be crowded on a velvet cushion.

I'm having a similar login problem. I'm trying to log two caches I found and at the top of the page I see "login to log this cache". Above that it says "You are not logged in. [click here to] log in". When I hit that, I go to the "My Cache Page", where it says "you are logged in. [click here to] log out". I've tried clicking the log out page several times, but I can't. I tried closing my browser and restarting, and I tried holding down the shift key while refreshing, but neither of those worked.

Please help! I'm so psyched to log my caches.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Also, if you get redirected to a page that says you aren't logged in, hold shift and click the refresh button on your browser. It is possible that the page you are looking at is stored in memory and isn't refreshing when you revisit it.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I tried that as well as completely dumping my temp internet files and then logging out and back in from my 'my cache page', still have the exact same symptoms.

Also, I am using the method mentioned above for logging into 'my cache page'

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

I have had to log in many times tonight. I can't seem to find a pattern to it. Sometimes I am shown as logged out when I usse back button.

Doesn't happen as frequently (seemingly) if I use back buton dropdown list.

Have also gone to wrong page when using back button.

Had to log in again (perhaps the 20th time tonight) to look at a forum poster's profile, even though I had just posted on the forum.

logging in and out is very erratic and unpredictable with the new system.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

One major reason for the difficulty is that our web server is starved for memory. As a result a lot of the login information can get dropped from memory, which is a Very Bad Thing. One of the many growing pains we have been having.

You may have success with deleting the cookies from your cookie directory on your machine. I would suggest doing this periodically anyway to ensure that there are no Black Helicopters watching your online viewing habits *cough* doubleclick *cough*.

Adaware is an excellent (free) tool that kills spyware and cookies.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

http://www.lavasoft.de/ is an excellent (free) tool that kills spyware and cookies.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

SpyBot Search & Destroy is another great adware/malware and cookie killer program. I use it along with AdAware and PestPatrol. I also have Zone Alarm Pro and Norton System Works Pro for a firewall and antivirus among other things.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

Checked this morning about 6:30 am and again just now (about 4:30 pm Eastern). Still having the same problems. Dumped cookies and temp internet files again, restated browswer, still no change. Used shift-refresh also, same results. Any other ideas what to try or an estimate when things will be accessible?

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

Any other ideas what to try or an estimate when things will be accessible?

I have been unable to duplicate your issues. Perhaps its a browser issue? You have cookies blocked?

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Jeremy!

Impossible to log in to the nearest caches page. Worked Saturday but not Sunday evening nor today. Initial log in OK to my cahes page but as soon as I click on caches nearest my home I'm logged out and can't log in to those pages at all. Even on this message board, when I tried to log in to reply to your sunday posting it said I wasn't authorized!

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by AnchMike:

Impossible to log in to the nearest caches page. Worked Saturday but not Sunday evening nor today.

I need some help understanding. So every page on the web site other than the nearest search page is letting you log in? Or does it log you out everywhere else. I need you or someone else with this problem walk me though the things you are doing on the site. It works perfectly fine on my end and every other browser near me.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

I need some help understanding. So every page on the web site other than the nearest search page is letting you log in? Or does it log you out everywhere else. I need you or someone else with this problem walk me though the things you are doing on the site. It works perfectly fine on my end and every other browser near me.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

That's exactly my problem. I am recognized on everything as logged in except the .aspx files, which are search pages and cache pages. Nothing else is affected by.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by AnchMike:

Jeremy!

Impossible to log in to the nearest caches page. Worked Saturday but not Sunday evening nor today. Initial log in OK to my cahes page but as soon as I click on caches nearest my home I'm logged out and can't log in to those pages at all. Even on this message board, when I tried to log in to reply to your sunday posting it said I wasn't authorized!

Mike

Same problem here. It can't be a browser problem as I can log on perfectly using my daughter's account. I've tried and tried to log in to the search pages but it just doesn't happen.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

I've found a way around this very annoying problem which may help some (all?) people experiencing it. It only seems to occur if two or more people use one PC. Here goes -

1) Use any screen to logout. You probably won’t actually logout but that doesn’t matter.

2) Close your browser

3) Look in your Cookie folder for the two cookies with geocaching and Groundspeak in them

4) Delete these two cookies

5) Fire up your browser and go to www.geocaching.com

6) Login with the user name you want to use

7) Everything should now work.

Don’t try and logout or you will get back to the situation where you are logged in on the “old” screens and logged out on the “new” search screens.

Hope this helps, Peter

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Same problem here. It can't be a browser problem as I can log on perfectly using my daughter's account. I've tried and tried to log in to the search pages but it just doesn't happen.

It does look account specific. I'll continue to work on this today.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I haven’t been able to log on to individual cache pages for two days. Appears to be the same problem others have.

From My Cache Page or, from the Find Cache page or, from clicking links to caches from watch list email I can’t get access to the individual cache pages. When the cache page comes up it says I am logged out. When I click to log in I get shunted to My Cache Page which says I am logged in.

I can log benchmarks and I can get into travel bug pages. This started the same time the Nearest Caches list changed.

I am having the same problem. The main page recognizes my login as usual, but on any individual cache page it just says 'You are not logged in' and 'Log in to log your visit'. I click the latter link, log in, and it still says 'Log in to log your visit'. Refreshing does not fix it. Restarting the browser does not fix it. Exitting the browser, deleting the geocaching and Groundspeak cookies, and restarting does not fix it. Everything was working just find on Saturday evening, I logged six caches. Monday afternoon was when I first noticed the problem.

Proxy Post:

I'm posting for kablooey, who I'm talking to in the chat room. He is still having GC login problems, as well as currentyly being unable to post to these forums.

As far as login issues go, he has tried/experienced the following:

clear cookies/home page/login/click both boxes to remember login/(My Cache Page) click on any cache/ => Server Error in '/' Application. 404 Error.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

I think it's been fixed now! I just did a zipcode search and got results and was able to add a note to my disabled cache that I verified as missing last night. So much for all that free time I thought I was going to have when I couldn't go caching. icon_smile.gif

Thanks