Is it necessary to log this?

GeoFrolic

Is it necessary to log what you take and leave, online and in the paper log? The reason I'm asking is that my friend always does this, should I follow suit?

There's no rule or guideline that would require you too, but there are a few cache owners that would be pleased if you did. Conversely, there are also cache owners that will never look at the paper log once it's put out in the wild.

Generally speaking for myself, I like to see details of the hunt on the on-line version of the log because it's more organized and easier to access. I don't tend to put more than our caching name, the date and a handful of words in the paper log when I make a find.

On those rare occasions I trade I will note it in the online log, mainly because of the habit of doing it from the old days and because it is so rare.

I often will note if I drop/take trackables in both the online log and the physical log. I figure that way if someone comes along behind me they know to either look in the cache for a trackable that might not have been logged in yet or they know if the trackable they saw on the cache listing might not be there anymore.

my friend always does this, should I follow suit?

It's generally a good idea to log what you trade. Lots of people don't, sometimes because it would be embarassing reveal what they left in exchange for something they want.

If it could be useful or fun info to others, be as specific as you like. If you take a signature item (something with a cacher's name on it) or a certain kind of object you like to collect, you could type that in your log. If you leave something that you want to be a pleasant surprise (anything real cool thing that others might immediately take), you may choose to write that only in the paper log inside the cache.

If you know there are Travel Bugs or Geocoins listed as being in the cache, a note about which ones are actually there would be very helpful.

Edited by kunarion