Daily Record

Hi all,

Back in the day we were all astonished that a team managed 36 caches in a day. Of course that was before the world's film canister mountain was hidden :rolleyes: and people stopped placing good multi caches using them at waypoints and instead posted them all as regular caches! So, as G:UK is gone I'm left wondering.

What's the highest number of finds in a day in the UK?

And what's the highest number of "propper" caches found in a day? (so no micro drive-by series)

As an oldie I'm interested in seeing what happened next when I went black ops!

I'm not against micros, or film canisters, but there do seem to be a lot of them! One magnetic nano is cool... another a mile away is no longer a surprise. Maybe micro's need to be justified along the lines that virtual caches used to be?

Natty

PS if you plant hundreds of micros, no offence, I just do things differently.

The most I've ever done in a day was 16, consisting of the Climping Gap series in Littlehampton, plus a couple of SideTracked caches on my way home. The series was a lovely long walk around beaches and forests, and consisted of a mixture of cache sizes. None of them were particularly challenging, but it was a great day out.

I prefer being fairly unhurried about things and I rarely find more than three or four caches in a day, even in areas with a high cache density. Often, a cache will take me somewhere that I enjoy exploring, and so hunting the Tupperware is not the sole, or even main, reason I'm there.

Lee

One magnetic nano is cool... another a mile away is no longer a surprise.

Did you miss out the 9 in between those 2? :)

I remember setting out to try and beat the 30 in a day and failed at 17 having driven across the country from east to west and back again.

I did 107 of Chiltern 100 in a day. By the end there were just too many that I couldn't really recall as individuals. I'm not saying that series is a problem in that way, just a general thing about most of these series.

Edited by Icenians

I remember setting out to try and beat the 30 in a day and failed at 17 having driven across the country from east to west and back again.

I did 107 of Chiltern 100 in a day. By the end there were just too many that I couldn't really recall as individuals. I'm not saying that series is a problem in that way, just a general thing about most of these series.

With the Chiltern Hundred, my intention wasn't that you'd remember each of them (although you'd probably remember a few), but that you'd remember the whole experience.

And I'd point out that there's 110 caches with between 300 and 400 finds per cache, which means it's pretty popular!

Was considering putting them on Kinder Scout in 0.1 mile squares :lol:

The other nine magnetic nanos must have been muggled! Cool first time I found one as it was hard to retrieve, and see. From then on I follow GPS, see no hole but metallic object from 20 yards away... get there, and in seconds I've got it in hand... yawn and off to next one.

107? Must have more determination than me! No offence to the hider, but I'd have given up after a while and just walked to the last one. My GPS can store a track, so I don't really need a trail marked by caches!

Thinking of going for a large number of small/normal caches as there's a lot more choice these days... making PQs from several areas that I can stay a night or two.

And I'd point out that there's 110 caches with between 300 and 400 finds per cache, which means it's pretty popular!

I wasn't complaining about your caches. I only mentioned them as it was the most I did in a day. My comment on remembering individual caches was aimed at all large trails of caches, not your's in particular. Funnily enough the most memorable were the ones we failed to find :)

107? Must have more determination than me! No offence to the hider, but I'd have given up after a while and just walked to the last one. My GPS can store a track, so I don't really need a trail marked by caches!

It was more about the company and challenge of finding them all in a day.

It was more about the company and challenge of finding them all in a day.

That's what I'm planning for... getting a team together for an epic day's hunting... followed by some drinking of beverages, preferably containing B vitamins in live form and from a wooden barrel!

That's what I'm planning for... getting a team together for an epic day's hunting... followed by some drinking of beverages, preferably containing B vitamins in live form and from a wooden barrel!

That is pretty much an exact description of how I cache on GC these days. It also has the advantage of not needing me to actually dive into the bushes to find the cache. I generally let the mob do that :) (and before any sanctamonious twits go deleting my online logs I rarely log those finds on here). These days the GC caching is much more about the company and the day out for me, to the point I don't normally care too much what the cache is like. Sometimes it's found, logged, and rehidden before I see it :)

Did I see you mention Kinder Scout earlier? I was meant to be hiding and finding a cache on there this very day but had a week of 24 hour cover sprung on me instead :(

I would but I have to be contactable. My friends are camping at Upper Booth and have tested the phone signal for me today so it's a no go for me this week. However, they are placing a cache of interest to me up there that I HAVE to do so I will be up there before long.

I would but I have to be contactable. My friends are camping at Upper Booth and have tested the phone signal for me today so it's a no go for me this week. However, they are placing a cache of interest to me up there that I HAVE to do so I will be up there before long.

Yeah... I'm on O2... last time I was up there I had signal for a whole 3 minutes of my day! Hopefully they will have that cache available by Monday... or I'll have to go back to my favourite place on the planet... it's a hard life.

I'm assuming nobody knows the record... or nobody cares anymore! I'm beginning to get the feeling that it's way too much about total numbers, so things like daily records are now meaningless. For those who remember the 36... it was a hell of an achievement, but if it still stands for "real"caches... it's time it was beaten!

A couple of years ago when Mrs Dizzy was away on Brownie Holiday, I went caching on my own and found 123 in the one day.

Starting off at 02.00 with the Chiltern 100 and after a short rest at the hotel in the late afternoon, went out again and found some more, finishing at about 22.00.

Probably not a record but who cares? I had a good time and found lots.

A couple of years ago when Mrs Dizzy was away on Brownie Holiday, I went caching on my own and found 123 in the one day.

Starting off at 02.00 with the Chiltern 100 and after a short rest at the hotel in the late afternoon, went out again and found some more, finishing at about 22.00.

Nobody really cares... and hats off to you... just wondering if the feat of the 36 that we all thought near impossible back then had been matched... maybe numbers alone would be misleading as with fewer caches about you had to spend longer in the car than walking back then!

I miss the stats site! The record I'm talking about was as much about total distance as it was number of caches!

TalkyToaster did 85 today, over 16 miles. I only know that coz he said on Twitter!!

I'm forgetting to tweet my finds! Old timer... modern tech... bad combination :lol:

Back then I didn't have 85 caches within 16 of home... now I have a thousand within 12! Luckily I'm not a numbers man so I don't have to bag them all this week!

I've been looking at the maps... and plenty of places where I could go 50-100 in a day... but if filtered for a bit more fun/challenge the numbers drop very quickly!

Just saw your stats page I assume you're penciling in a trip for 29/2/2012... not seen anyone who's found a cache every day of the year yet... impressive!

Just saw your stats page I assume you're penciling in a trip for 29/2/2012... not seen anyone who's found a cache every day of the year yet... impressive!

My best for a day is 68, but that did include quite a few of the Skeg to Ness series. One day in Bolton I got 53 from one parking spot - don't think many were micros.

I've been caching long enough to have completed the day grid. Only started checking it in 2010 and then made the effort to fill in the few that were missing. I'm sure there are quite a few others out there who have filled it.

Steve.

My best for a day is 68, but that did include quite a few of the Skeg to Ness series. One day in Bolton I got 53 from one parking spot - don't think many were micros.

I've been caching long enough to have completed the day grid. Only started checking it in 2010 and then made the effort to fill in the few that were missing. I'm sure there are quite a few others out there who have filled it.

Steve.

53 almost all real caches from a one parking spot? Please PM me where to park!!!

I wasn't around when the stats came out... but I'm guessing Feb 29 is missing from a lot of charts!!!

TalkyToaster did 85 today, over 16 miles. I only know that coz he said on Twitter!!

Back then I didn't have 85 caches within 16 of home... now I have a thousand within 12! Luckily I'm not a numbers man so I don't have to bag them all this week!

I know what you mean, there was only 37 in the whole of the UK when I started!

Edited by GAZ

I know what you mean, there was only 37 in the whole of the UK when I started!

It's good... and it's sad! I now feel like my grandfather telling war stories!!!