Looking for ideas for Relay for Life

I am in the Bakersfield Relay for Life as team captain for team "Purple Power". I wondered if there was any ideas on how I could promote Relay for Life through a cache. During the event there are activities to raise money and awareness for all cancers. The event is for survivors and to remember those we have lost to cancer. I lost my dad last year :sad: and this will be my first relay for life in memory of him. We have gotten a late start but we are entering anyways to see what it is all about and to prepare for next year. I wanted to open this up to discussion and see if anyone had any ideas that I can use at my booth/campsite or any input from previous participants in relay for life. Feel free to check my page out on the Bakersfield Relay for Life website. On the left sidebar there is a link for teams and remember I am "PURPLE POWER" and we need all the help we can get!!!! And dont hesitate to join our team... anyone can join and we can figure out how we can incorporate a cache into this event!!!

I think it will be difficult/impossible to promote the charity through a cache:

"Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda."

You might like to consider producing a geocoin to sell, with profits going to the charity or perhaps you could create a TB race for the event e.g. Sell ready prepared TBs at a profit of x dollars each with a prize offered for the one that travels furthest in the year? (You are allowed to promote a charity through geocoins and/or TBs.)

MrsB

Hi Wylymama24, A great thing to do, but unless you are posting about a geocoin then it is likely that your thread will be moved to Off Topic - the mods are quite strict on that.

All the best for the Relay for Life and with fundraising. :)

Edited by keewee

I dont exactly think I want to raise money for anything... more awareness and possibly finding other cachers that have battled cancer... I guess each campsite does themes and activities and of course geocache was the first thing I thought of. I will be placing a cache at the relay site in memory of my first relay and in memory of my dad. Thanks for the input and please send me any other ideas. I would love to do a coin but it seems so confusing and expensive. I am still new at this. Thanks!!!

I would just send a travel item out. Even though you feel your cause is worthy caches themselves are not to be advertisements for causes. And if you place pamphlets or something in a cache it quickly becomes garbage, more annoying than helping your cause.

So I would either do some nice signature items that note your cause (wooden nickels or something sturdy like that) or do a travel bug.

You can't setup a cache do to the restrictions but couldn't you setup an event instead? I see events all the time up here in the GONIL area for CITO, Ice Cream Socials, Pig Roasts that revolve around getting together meeting new people and celebrating eachother. With that said my idea is that you could setup a "Lets Celebrate Life" event scheduled to be after the Relay to unwind. The event would not necessarily be focused on a single disease such as cancer but just a get together to celebrate Geocaching and Life in general.

Also for a cache, Try a dedication cache. Again around here I see dedication caches for our milestones, fallen friends, Former Geocachers, Pets,and Loved Ones all the time. I bet you could get a dedication cache setup for your father and mention how he lost his fight.

<<< Slic >>>