My first DNF!

Carms Cache

Went to a cache in Cardiff in my lunch hour.

When I got there there was a guy sitting on a bench about 5 metres away drinking cider!!!

I walked on and came back 15 mins later and he was still there! So being my lunch hour I had to give up and go back to work.

Do I log this as a DNF or not?

To me, the point of a DNF is to show that you tried... and the log is a great way for people to experience more than just their own visit to a cache. I love reading about the success or struggle that the previous cacher had when I log my visits--and I'm sure the CO would get a kick out of it. After all, he/she hid the cache there because it's an interesting place to him/her.

Just so you know... Many will say yes, many will say no, some even say neither -- write a "note" instead. :blink:

I would say, DNF. Log would read "Muggle interference".

EDIT: By the way, some of the very best logs to read are the DNF stories. A found story only has a story to read about occasionally.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
came back 15 mins later and he was still there!

There's a cache in a park I've found next to some guy's favorite parking spot (for work breaks and long lunch hours?). Several logs mention him specifically, sitting there in the car. I used those logs to devine a time to go search. Ducking behind his car's front bumper to look for a cache didn't seem to be a good option. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd log a "DNS" (a Note that mentions that I "Did Not Search"), explaining that there were muggles too close to GZ. I consider the search to start when I reach GZ and start looking for the cache.

But as you can see from the other replies, some consider the search to start earlier, and would log a DNF in the situation you described. Figure out what makes the most sense to you, and go with that.

I may log a note saying I couldn't start a search because of a muggle near GZ, if that. It depends whether or not I will be revisiting the cache. When I eventually find the cache, I will usually say this is my x# time here and couldn't search the first few times because of muggles. To me, it wouldn't be a DNF but more of a recon of GZ to scope out the situation to see if it was clear enough to start a search. The only time I might log a DNF is if the muggle leaves, I start to search at GZ, but another muggle comes a minute later and I haven't found the cache yet and I have to leave.

I used DNF for ones I actually looked and looked and looked for but wasn't able to find. Since you weren't even able to look, I wouldn't necessarily call it a DNF. As others are saying, either use DNF or use a note, and just explain what happened in your log.

(Never mind, you just posted saying you resolved your issue. Sorry!)

Edited by sista2