Best Buy now has a Geocaching section

Just went to Best Buy's website and noticed they have a Geocaching section under GPS. Im pretty sure that was not there last week when I was looking. They don't have too many listed but it just goes to show you that Geocaching is moving into the mainstream.

Attempting to sprinkle a little sugar on their products are they?

Research for features, shop for price.

I know I stopped playing any sports since the summer and winter olympics made everything so popular. You can even go to the sporting goods stores and find footballs and soccer balls and stuff. Totally over saturated. :anitongue:

Football and soccer are contained sports, they are confined to the stadium in which the event is held. Geocaching on the other hand is an activity which encompasses the country at large, involving many people's properties. Because of that it relies upon the integrity of the participants to not offend the owners of the property upon which the caches are hidden. As the activity expands, to those who have a more "casual" approach, and to a larger number of participants, the possibility of public concern over the activity becomes more prevalent. We rely upon the graciousness of property owners, both private and public, to continue what we do. It wouldn't take a lot of negative press, people not respecting people's property for example, for popular opinion to turn against the sport.

I actually admit that I like the geocaching section at REI... it's so convenient. :)

The REI near my house used to have a pretty decent sized geocaching section. But over the last few months, they have severely downsized it to a mere rack of geocaching stuff. Some geocoins and TBs, a couple of GS sponsored caches, GPS leashes, and other small items.

I know I stopped playing any sports since the summer and winter olympics made everything so popular. You can even go to the sporting goods stores and find footballs and soccer balls and stuff. Totally over saturated. :anitongue:

oh the HORROR!

footballs and soccer balls in a sporting goods store?

Not too worry - everything at (not so) best buy is way overpriced. I'd be surprised if they sold more than just a few things.

It looks like they're selling for list price, just like most other regular retailers - Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, etc. A lot of people buy from these stores for a variety of reasons; they'll sell more then you think.

The apps for the phones will hurt more then GPSr's going into mainstream marketing.

This.^^^^^ When I see n00b's finding a classic 2002 hide with 17 Favorite points with their cell phone, and drop a "TFTC" log on the website (which was just the other day, actually), I'm much more concerned about that than Best Buy selling a few items (which they will sell very few of, I'll guess).

My wife and kids bought themselves a gps at Best Buy recently. It seems to be a few bucks less then anywhere else from these parts. I don't buy online. I support local businesses, people with real jobs.

I don't consider Best Buy a "local business" and their in-store sales tactics/behaviors are not the type of business I want to support - especially anything that the "Geek Squad" touches.

Joined March, 2011. OK. Got it. We'll see what you're saying a few years from now.

My wife and kids bought themselves a gps at Best Buy recently. It seems to be a few bucks less then anywhere else from these parts. I don't buy online. I support local businesses, people with real jobs.

So the guy who picks the products off the shelf in the warehouse, the guy who picks up the package when it is ready to ship, the guy who drives the truck half way across the country, the guy who sorts the big truck load into smaller trucks, and the guy who delivers it to your door don't have real jobs?

So the guy who picks the products off the shelf in the warehouse, the guy who picks up the package when it is ready to ship, the guy who drives the truck half way across the country, the guy who sorts the big truck load into smaller trucks, and the guy who delivers it to your door don't have real jobs?

Joined March, 2011. OK. Got it. We'll see what you're saying a few years from now.

Joined August of '03, a few folks were wailing about over-saturation and the 'tipping point' where popularity would ruin the game back then. Some are still waiting, others have accepted that this game appeals to but a small fraction of the population and attrition (those who drop out) will keep the active player population limited.

The device we use to geocache has zero bearing on the type of cache we'll hide or find and even less on what kind of cacher we'll be. The resentment of those of us who cache with cell phones is too silly to address further.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Joined August of '03, a few folks were wailing about over-saturation and the 'tipping point' where popularity would ruin the game back then. Some are still waiting, others have accepted that this game appeals to but a small fraction of the population and attrition (those who drop out) will keep the active player population limited.

The device we use to geocache has zero bearing on the type of cache we'll hide or find and even less on what kind of cacher we'll be. The resentment of those of us who cache with cell phones is too silly to address further.

It sounds to me as though you misunderstood the point of my post. Mr. rav_bunneh was saying that he felt it ridiculous that some are complaining about the way that things have changed. I was simply pointing out that he has no real idea of what has changed, since he just joined.

That said, I do believe that the use of cellphones has changed the activity. In the "old days", it took someone with enough interest and commitment to spend several hundred dollars for a GPS to play the game. Typically, that was also somebody that had an interest in the outdoors, since many of those GPSr's were originally purchased for hiking, hunting, and fishing, and geocaching was only an afterthought.

Today, it only takes a commitment of $10 (or less) to play the game. That doesn't mean that each and every person that caches with a smartphone and app lacks the love of the outdoors that the early cachers had, but it does mean that there are many getting introduced to it that do not have that. Perhaps not bad... but to say that there hasn't been a change would be a mistake.

That's right. Unless you know something different, usually, it is someone in Pakistan who places the order through the internet which is linked into a computer where it loads into a que for an 'Automated Bin Retrieval System' (ABRS), which picks the part which places it on a conveyor, which is put into an automated box machine with computer generated shipping label attached and then loaded onto a truck. Everything automated except for the hi-lo driver who loads about 60 trucks per day and the actual driver who delivers it.

I have an online business and last time I checked I am a person with a real job. The majority of Best Buy's products come from China so do I really need to point out who you support when you buy at Best Buy?.

I think it is great that geocaching is becoming more popular. Anything to encourage people to enjoy the outdoors is a good thing. Anything to encourage kids to have more hobbies besides computer games is a good thing.

I am one of those dreaded Iphone users. We have a handheld Garmin too but only use it when the Iphone has 32 feet accuracy.

I have seen several of these threads lately of cachers upset that there might actually be more cachers out there. Why is that a bad thing? Since when did caching become a secret club that only certain people get to join?

it relies upon the integrity of the participants to not offend the owners of the property upon which the caches are hidden. As the activity expands, to those who have a more "casual" approach, and to a larger number of participants, the possibility of public concern over the activity becomes more prevalent. We rely upon the graciousness of property owners, both private and public, to continue what we do. It wouldn't take a lot of negative press, people not respecting people's property for example, for popular opinion to turn against the sport.

Sweet! We got in just before all the riff-raff. Now somebody bar the doors! B)

I actually admit that I like the geocaching section at REI... it's so convenient. :)

Pretty spendy for what they have.

$8.95 for a nano blinkie that can be had elsewhere online for $1

however i DESPISE online and all the ripoffs.

so i overpay but GET.

I personally do not purchase nano blinkies, but I have purchased the "trackable starter kit" for some new cachers that I know, and I have purchased the premium member gift card several times; also things like replacement log strips, patches, etc; little things that I like to give as raffle prizes for events, and presents for my friends and husband, etc. I think they're nice gifts; and the REI outlet here in Eugene doesn't have bad prices. I like that they have some trackables for sale too.

That's my review there...

I just don't think it appeals to the public , i know im still quite new to this, but when im talking to my friend who i share this account with, and someone asks what were talking about, and we explain, the seem bored with the subject completely, it just will not draw the whole world in.

I think it obviously has... look at how many cachers there are nowadays! There are tons and tons and tons more than when I first started, which wasn't that long ago compared to some. It used to be that no one had ever heard of caching when I would bring it up, but almost every time I talk about it nowadays, at least one person in the group has heard about it, tried it, or does it regularly. I can drive up and down the highway or around town and see geocaching stickers on cars, and I used to NEVER be able to do that when I first started.

That's right. Unless you know something different, usually, it is someone in Pakistan who places the order through the internet which is linked into a computer where it loads into a que for an 'Automated Bin Retrieval System' (ABRS), which picks the part which places it on a conveyor, which is put into an automated box machine with computer generated shipping label attached and then loaded onto a truck. Everything automated except for the hi-lo driver who loads about 60 trucks per day and the actual driver who delivers it.

I know something different. Best Buy headquarters is in my neck of the woods. How many people would you guess are employed here alone, not to mention all their retail stores and warehouses? Overall (worldwide), they employed 180,000 in 2010.

bestbuyhq.jpg

I would not purchase anything from that place. They have a 14 day return policy for GPS units and it's 30 days for other things. If you are a "Premier Silver Member" you get an entire 45 days to return something. :blink:

I bought a camcorder from them, but it did not have the features that the salesman thought it did, so I returned it in time, and got hit with a 15% restocking fee. (about $40) I did not even unwrap the camcorder from the inner package. All I did was open the box and read the owners manual. The manager tells me that since the outer seal on the box was broken, then he was required to charge that. <_<

LLBean and REI have lifetime return policies. If a business does not trust it's customers and slips in extra fees, as well as a "gotcha" return policy then I don't know why anyone would want to shop there.

An internet search on their return policy reveals plenty of irate people.

This site rates their customer service.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I would not purchase anything from that place. They have a 14 day return policy for GPS units and it's 30 days for other things. If you are a "Premier Silver Member" you get an entire 45 days to return something. :blink:

I bought a camcorder from them, but it did not have the features that the salesman thought it did, so I returned it in time, and got hit with a 15% restocking fee. (about $40) I did not even unwrap the camcorder from the inner package. All I did was open the box and read the owners manual. The manager tells me that since the outer seal on the box was broken, then he was required to charge that. <_<

LLBean and REI have lifetime return policies. If a business does not trust it's customers and slips in extra fees, as well as a "gotcha" return policy then I don't know why anyone would want to shop there.

Best Buy no longer has a restocking fee. I know because I recently brought back both a mouse and digital tablet, and it was quite painless and no restocking fee. Correct about the 30 days for those items. I don't know if GPS units are still only 14 days as you state.

Possible correction: Although I was told that they eliminated the restocking fee, their online policy for instore purchases states:

A restocking fee may be applied for opened items in some product categories.

It goes on to say:

• 14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, iPad, tablets and radar detectors
  • 30 days for all other products
  • 45 days for all products for Reward Zone Premier Silver members*

Make no mistake: I'm not defending Best Buy, and I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but I think that criticisms need to be true and fair.

As for REI... I LOVE them and shop there often. But to compare their return policy to Best Buys is simply not fair. Don't kid yourself... you pay for REI's return policy with each and every purchase.

Edited by knowschad

I know something different. Best Buy headquarters is in my neck of the woods. How many people would you guess are employed here alone, not to mention all their retail stores and warehouses? Overall (worldwide), they employed 180,000 in 2010.

bestbuyhq.jpg

I was defending BB. I was talking crap about online retailers that don't have store fronts. Notice I was the one shopping there. So that makes me, the customer, your boss(The customer is always right). :rolleyes:

Edited by A & J Tooling

I was defending BB. I was talking crap about online retailers that don't have store fronts. Notice I was the one shopping there. So that makes me, the customer, your boss(The customer is always right). :rolleyes:

Sorry, I misread your post and thought that you were bashing Best Buy. My mistake (obviously!)

Seriously, I don't think anyone has to worry about this "sport" becoming too popular! (I'm not saying I don't love it, I'm just saying the response I get from folks if I bring it up in conversation is mostly, "You do what?!?!" :unsure:

+1

Yeah, I get the glazed over eyes look too. Maybe one in ten sound interested on a good day. I'm not too worried.

it relies upon the integrity of the participants to not offend the owners of the property upon which the caches are hidden. As the activity expands, to those who have a more "casual" approach, and to a larger number of participants, the possibility of public concern over the activity becomes more prevalent. We rely upon the graciousness of property owners, both private and public, to continue what we do. It wouldn't take a lot of negative press, people not respecting people's property for example, for popular opinion to turn against the sport.

Sweet! We got in just before all the riff-raff. Now somebody bar the doors! B)

If there was a "Favorites" function for forum posts, I would have just used my first one.

Seeing a thread about Best Buy having a Geocaching section set of the alarm bells. Then I read that it's just an inconsequential reference to a section of their website devoted to GPSrs.

Can you imagine what I was thinking? No? Yes? (If so, better get your towel and Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses out)

I thought this was going to be a bit about the actual Stores having a section - complete with cheesey cache containers, a fine selection of last year's geocoins and various other knick-knacks tangentially associated with Geocaching (or not even close to tangentially associated, but they wish to make a buck on anyway.)

I'm actually calmed and contented that is isn't thus.

Now for a real scare - think of WallyWorld getting behind Geocaching! (Get out those Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses now and duct tape them to your head!)

view.png

The resentment of those of us who cache with cell phones is too silly to address further.

There's resentment towards cell-phone cachers? Wow, sometimes I find myself outside of my PQ range and look up nearby caches on my Droid. Who knew finding a cache or two without my "real" GPSr was something bad. :huh:

its not FINDING with cellphones, its LOGGING with them.