Best GPS for Europe

My DeLorme is getting unreliable just in time to get a new machine before I move to Europe. What is the best GPS for use by a low-tech gal in Europe? I'd like something that I don't need to get a lot of extra maps for, is very accurate and is very easy to use.

Thanks for your help in advance!

DeLorme is basically useless outside of North America, so not another DeLorme.

Garmin is your best bet - plenty of free map sources from gpsfiledepot.com

There are a few good choices right now - The Oregon 450, the Dakotas, and the new GPSMAP units. Which one is really a matter of preference.

Edited by Entropy512

DeLorme is basically useless outside of North America, so not another DeLorme.

I don't seem to be having map issues with my PN-60 or PN-40 but the true test will come in the next 4 weeks while my wife is back home in South Australia. We have roads for the entire country downloaded from a free site and can acquire the same for the entire planet, same goes for hydrology, POI's and for a subscription price of ±$30 US, aerial photography (30cm, 60cm or 1 m depending on availability). For $0.01 per 1000 square km (may not be exactly correct) we have the same maps that come standard with Topo USA only for Australia and again, can get them for Europe and most other parts of the planet. Granted I did purchase DeLorme XMap 7 (looks & feels very similar to Topo USA) in order to import the free shapefiles (a GIS standard file format) but so far I am very pleased with the results. I am also very happy with DeLorme's customer service and nearly bullet proof construction (my old PN-20 kissed the front bumper of a car traveling ±60 mph and still works).

Cheers

Panda Inc

I don't seem to be having map issues with my PN-60 or PN-40 but the true test will come in the next 4 weeks while my wife is back home in South Australia. We have roads for the entire country downloaded from a free site and can acquire the same for the entire planet, same goes for hydrology, POI's and for a subscription price of ±$30 US, aerial photography (30cm, 60cm or 1 m depending on availability). For $0.01 per 1000 square km (may not be exactly correct) we have the same maps that come standard with Topo USA only for Australia and again, can get them for Europe and most other parts of the planet. Granted I did purchase DeLorme XMap 7 (looks & feels very similar to Topo USA) in order to import the free shapefiles (a GIS standard file format) but so far I am very pleased with the results. I am also very happy with DeLorme's customer service and nearly bullet proof construction (my old PN-20 kissed the front bumper of a car traveling ±60 mph and still works).

Cheers

Panda Inc

XMap is fairly expensive, and the licensing prevents redistribution of converted maps. The OP implies they are fairly nontechnical, so if there aren't readily available premade map packages, it's a non-solution.

To the OP: What country? Worldwide street maps are free from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/, some Euro countries may also have free topo maps.